Track discussion

Re: Track discussion

Postby Bernd » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:55 pm

MacG wrote:I don't know which one is the diameter (0.56" or .010"), but look here at Datron. I would prefer Single-Flute or Double-Flute end mills.

Page 5 of the Double Flute end mill. Smallest in diameter is 6mm or .236" a bit big. The diameter would need to be 1.4224mm which is .056", the width of the base rail. We are talking about "T" slot cutters.

The page is Datron Double Flute End Mills. Page 5

I get my end mills from E-bay, The Drillman. High quality and cheaper.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConnRiver » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:46 pm

MacG, thanks for the link, it caused me to finally begin searching.

I found a link to Microcut, which offers to make custom T-slot cutters. The company has a distributor about one mile from my home, so I better traipse over their tomorrow. I'm sure a custom-made T-slot cutter won't cost too much, right? (Gulp)

http://www.microcutusa.com/tslot.php?PH ... 65ffd9ebfb

-Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby Bernd » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:30 pm

Oh WOW, I've got 6 distributors in the Rochester area.

I don't know. Some of these places don't sell to individuals. But I guess if you need custom ones made it's the place to go. Hang on to your wallet Brian. Could be shocking.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConnRiver » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:49 pm

Bernd wrote:Oh WOW, I've got 6 distributors in the Rochester area. . . . Some of these places don't sell to individuals. But I guess if you need custom ones made it's the place to go. Hang on to your wallet Brian. Could be shocking. -Bernd

Bernd, hadn't thought about commercial sales only. Have you incorporated (S-corp, LLC?), have you gotten a tax ID? Things on the to-do list here but haven't looked into it yet. Still, the likely cost of the cutters. . . .

-Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby MacG » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:17 pm

The master is then difficulty to duplicate, because of the small undercuts.

For a good milling finish use a smaller T-slot cutter. First you can milling a slot for the rail, with a flat top cutter, and then the undercut of the rail spikes.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we are shipping worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Bernd » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:44 pm

ConnRiver wrote:Bernd, hadn't thought about commercial sales only. Have you incorporated (S-corp, LLC?), have you gotten a tax ID? Things on the to-do list here but haven't looked into it yet. Still, the likely cost of the cutters. . . .

-Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Nope, don't plan on being in retail, just manufacturing. Strictly hobby type operation. I think you can earn up to a certain amount. Have to ask my tax preparer what that number is. I'm not doing this to make money. My intended goal is just to get some product out there to see if we can get TT scale get back on to the model railroading scene.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:46 am

This was an old topic but I thought of it when I noticed that Fox Valley is now making S scale Flextrack so I was wondering if they might consider making TT flextrack too. Those nice FVM wheels need something to run on :>) How many potential TT scale modelers are just waiting for some nice flextrack to get building layouts?
ctxmf74

Postby Bernd » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:06 am

ctxmf74 wrote:This was an old topic but I thought of it when I noticed that Fox Valley is now making S scale Flextrack so I was wondering if they might consider making TT flextrack too. Those nice FVM wheels need something to run on :>) How many potential TT scale modelers are just waiting for some nice flextrack to get building layouts?

I'd go for some to get a layout up and running faster, but we know that isn't going to happen. Not enough modelers in TT scale for NA products. And then we'll need some NA rolling stock. So, it's the chicken and egg question. Which comes first?

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:55 pm

"Not enough modelers in TT scale for NA products."

That's true but S is also not a big scale and it was already served by 4 major track manufacturers so Fox Valley might have an easier time being the big fish in the small TT scale pond? .....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConnRiver » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:35 pm

ctxmf74 wrote:"Not enough modelers in TT scale for NA products."

That's true but S is also not a big scale and it was already served by 4 major track manufacturers so Fox Valley might have an easier time being the big fish in the small TT scale pond? .....DaveB

Dave, are you willing to email with Fox Valley? Gotta have flex track for the scale to not only survive but thrive, imho anyway.

Brian C.
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion