Track discussion

Re: Track discussion

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:13 pm

Somewhere above Kato unitrack is mentioned. That already exists for TT and it's available in the US and Canada from Tillig. Here's a sample: http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/bedding-track-tt/c177

As for the general state of track, both CSD and others are right. Mark is right in a sense because we here on this site should by now know where to get track and what is available and where. So at least a bunch of people here should be building layouts. A few are, but just a few. Where others are right is the situation for the general public and modelers who would do TT if they could pick some track up conveniently at their local store. Or at the very least, there was a well known online retailer that stocked every piece one could potentially need. While ETH sort of meets that need (they don't always have everything in stock and when something is needed it takes a while because it has to come from Germany), ETH is also not widely know in the model railroading circles since it's dedicated to Euro models.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Richard-B » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:15 pm

My LHS (Local Hobby Store) carries a full line...
I just walk in... say "Tillig TT Bedding Track" and the clerk turns to a wall of stock items and says "Which type?"

Of course... this only works in Budapest!
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby Arseny » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:24 pm

Richard-B wrote:My LHS (Local Hobby Store) carries a full line...
I just walk in... say "Tillig TT Bedding Track" and the clerk turns to a wall of stock items and says "Which type?"

Of course... this only works in Budapest!

Hmm... I'll try it tomorrow in Saint-Petersburg... :lol:

Maybe they even will ask me "Why Tillig, not TT-Model?" :wink:
Arseny

Postby areibel » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:57 pm

Is the TT-Model the same as the Kuehn track?
areibel

First train

Postby ctxmf74 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Got about 6 feet of track and one turnout down so took my Saz model switcher for a short drive:>) I used code 70 rail so I can run larger euro flanges if desired, spiked with Kadee spiker.
gallery/image.php?album_id=3&image_id=402&view=no_count
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:53 pm

TT-Model is I would say finer track. I would use it if it was easy to get.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Richard-B » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:42 am

TT-Model - Here it is: http://tt-model.spb.ru/2-2/
Appears to be Code 70~71 (1.8mm)... and they DO have 12-degree turnouts... which is about a #4-7/8ths frog.

For the time being... We're left to FastTracks for #6s (9° 32’) or #8s (7° 09’)
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby ConnRiver » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:06 am

Bernd,

Your tie strips look terrific. I can't see them distance-wise to tell if you included tie plates with them. I've been wondering how plates might be milled as part of the strips, maybe on a slight angle. As part of that, I've wondered (not yet searched) if T-slot cutters are available small enough to cut the tie plates in the center to accommodate rail. Any thoughts?

A couple of years ago I cut a turnout (#7 iirc) after creating a CAD drawing using a published template with dimensions. I'll search for a slot cutter and try to cut tie plates, see how it goes.

-Brian C.
Attachments
No 7 turnout.jpg
Brian Chapman
Cedar Rapids, Iowa / USA
ConnRiver

Postby Bernd » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:26 am

ConnRiver wrote:Bernd,
Your tie strips look terrific. I can't see them distance-wise to tell if you included tie plates with them. I've been wondering how plates might be milled as part of the strips, maybe on a slight angle. As part of that, I've wondered (not yet searched) if T-slot cutters are available small enough to cut the tie plates in the center to accommodate rail. Any thoughts?

The original thought on the resin cast tie strips was to see how big a tie plate would be in TT and then cut out the width of the rail base through the center. It didn't leave much material on either side of the rail base. So I made it a bit bigger.

My first attempt at tie strips started by ACCing pieces of styrene on an acrylic master I made.

I made a rubber mold from that master. You're looking at the bottom.

The rubber mold ready for casting tie strips.

Then I had that Ah-Ha moment. Why not mill the master with tie plates instead of gluing them on.

I have one more design change to do. I going to put the strip that holds all the ties into an 8.9" section in the center. It'll make a much better looking and functioning tie strip.

A couple of years ago I cut a turnout (#7 iirc) after creating a CAD drawing using a published template with dimensions. I'll search for a slot cutter and try to cut tie plates, see how it goes.

-Brian C.

As to finding the right cutter that small, I don't think there is anything commercial like that out there. If you find one let me know. You're looking for something that will be .056" wide and about .010" in cutter thickness perhaps.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby MacG » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:31 pm

I don't know which one is the diameter (0.56" or .010"), but look here at Datron. I would prefer Single-Flute or Double-Flute end mills.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion