Track compatibility?

Track compatibility?

Postby Petercat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:21 am

Well, I am ready to order some track.
I would like to buy the Kühn GEW- Gleis-Startset, which is an oval with three switches, for the low price, and 6 pieces of the Tillig flex track, for design versatility. Are Kühn and Tillig track sections compatible? How does the quality compare?
What I'm going to build is a long dogbone that sits above and behind the monitors at my computer station, so it will be pretty much a continuous runner. Something to watch while the pages load.
I remember reading a discussion about the respective switches earlier on this forum, but I can't find it now. anyone have a link?
I'm not too lazy to look harder, but it's 0230 and I need sleep...
Thanks, friends. I think I'm going to like it hereZZZZzzzzzzzz
"It's Peter, not Pete. Pete sounds like a bird fart.
Petercat

Re: Track compatibility?

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:54 pm

The Kuehn and Tillig (non bedding) track should be able to connect no problem. As for quality, Kuehn still has a few problems since the track is brand new to them - however, the bugs may have already been worked out in the batches shipping now. The Kuehn track's main advantage is the lower rail profile (more realistic).
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:45 pm

the kuehn track is not all that bad. it does have a lower profile than the tillig track and the brown colore is a bit more realistic. i am selling a kuehn starter trackset on ebay if your interested. however its only fair to say that i do have issues with the track such as the large radius turns and problems with stalls on the turnout. i do like the track but i like smaller radius turns so im going to pick up some tillig bedding track. joe
jmass

Postby Petercat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:35 pm

Thanks, JMass. I just bought it. The one switch isn't a problem, I'm kind of fond of Turtles!
Petercat

Postby Petercat » Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:39 pm

I was thinking about buying this as well: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TILLIG-TT-GAUGE ... 588ed27612 , but when the seller says "powered but not tested", red flags start flapping like Ernest Borgnine going into the river! (I'm gonna MISS him!)
The seller can't find a 9v battery?
Once burned, y'know.
Petercat

Return to Layouts / Track Plans