Track Cleaning

Track Cleaning

Postby CN-TT » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:30 pm

I found a new and very good working track cleaning material. It's Mr. Clean's "Magic Eraser". In a dry state it works good cleaning oil of the rail heads. But it does it's magic when moistened with 99% isopropyl alcohol. It kinda sucks the dirt inside the spongy material and as far as I can assess it's not abrasive like a cleaning rubber. The "Magic Eraser" contains no additional chemicals!!!
I replaced the original cleanig rubber on my cleaning car with a small "ME" pad. Never had cleaner tracks!!!
One other advantage is less drag.
Attachments
Cleaning Car.jpg
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Re: Track Cleaning

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:25 pm

Thanks for the hint. I'm endlessly searching for something that will clean rail well. Will definitely try this.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby gerhard_k » Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:17 pm

Björn: I forwarded your post to my friend's big HO layout (400' mainline, 12 operators) group and got 2 comments:
1. "We use(d) to use it on the boat. It's actually an abrasive cleaner, but perhaps fine enough not to damage the rail. It needs to be wet, though, and tends to disintegrate{!} when it's used (both of which might make a mess of a model railroad). Not sure I'd want to try it on my layout." (This fellow uses Bright Boy erasers, a vacuum, and manual alcohol wiping pads, the trains run really well).
2: "Think I'll wait awhile also. Actually I don't "clean" my track. I do wipe it before op sessions: I use a couple of those triangular foam pads designed for makeup application. It takes me about 15-20 minutes to wipe all the track, and there is a lot of it. When I am done, these white pads are brown on all sides -- shows what kind of stuff is floating around in my air heat house! I also give a general track inspection -- sometimes there are spots where gook has accumulated; clean with a track erasor. Once in awhile I will put down in a very few spots a touch of CRC 2-26."

Personally, I don't have a layout (yet) :whistle: but I keep clippings of interesting MR topics, so here's some of mine:
You may want to look at the long thread http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/2726 - several recommend CRC 2-26 or No-Ox or simple ATF; in fact,
No-Ox has its own thread http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/7169 - "there are several guys selling it on E Bay in little pillows that are the right size for most layouts. These are going for $4 including shipping. Several guys are selling in the 2-4 oz size (a life time supply) for under $8 delivered. You can tell it's the right stuff by reading the label for NO-OX-ID A-Special."
And then there is "Gleaming" - http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/p/221146/ ... px#2443425 - which some claim is the ultimate solution to the track-cleaning problem, although it sounds like a lot of (one-time) work for a larger layout. :thinking:
Sometimes you win... sometimes you learn.
gerhard_k

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:13 pm

I'm going to do the GLEAM and see how it goes :)
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:54 am

As for me, I used Tillig art.08977 liquid cleaner, it works great!
Arseny

Postby Rob M » Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:04 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned using Masonite.
http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/6034
Rob M

Postby CN-TT » Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:34 pm

As always, there's more than one way to skin a cat. I like all the input.
@gerhard_k: "...and tends to disintegrate{!}" This is the trick. The cleaner should disintegrate and not the rails. I should start a long-term study.
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:11 pm

Soooo......just run a pencil along the railhead?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:21 pm

Bernd wrote:Here's some more interesting things about track and electrical conduction. Ever hear of "graphene". Check it out. I wrote a post on MRH about it. It's basically using graphite in a #2 pencil rubbed on the track. The wheels will spread the grapheme to the rest of the track. Here's a link to that post. http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/20704

You can find more on Google about graphene.

Bernd

There is no way you can make graphene this way. You can make a layer of graphite, but not graphene. Graphene is a single layer carbon foil (=only 1 atom thick), very expensive. It seems that you misunderstood the original video. :lol:
Yes, it can be used for flexible tiny decoders in future. But you can never make it by rubbing a pencil on the track.
Sorry, no Nobel prize (this time)
j p

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:43 pm

Bernd, the idea is that if it's more than one atom thick, it's not graphene.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion