Trace Paper Kits

Trace Paper Kits

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:33 pm

I came up with an idea during my semi-conscious stupor (due to the damned medications I am on)this morning:

Perhaps a series of "kits" can be come up with that are dimensions laid out on paper, basically one-side-of-a-building at-a-time, and can either be cut out and traced onto balsa (or any other easily cut) wood, cut out and assembled, or the paper glued to the "inside" portion of the wood, then cut out and assembled.

I did something like this with the house I lived in in GA for art class, but it was done in 1:87, due to that being the only scale I worked with at the time.

Any ideas and/or suggestions?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Re: Trace Paper Kits

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:41 pm

Still hammering out some of the details, but there are 3 buildings that are presently on the list to complete, two of which are fictional, and attempts to get measurements will be a best guess at best.

1.) The Simpson's house, from the Simpsons
2.) The Drawn Together House from the Comedy Central show Drawn Together, this one will pose the biggest challenge of the 3 so far.
3.) The house I lived in at the Naval Weapons Station, Charleston, SC. (Compared to base housing here, that place was a mansion, half of the heater units in this dump do not work and the Haggis that run Base Housing are not wanting to fix them, among other problems.)
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Right now I am trying to hammer out the details for a 3/4 cape house, as it is a simple start...

Before I post the "blueprints", I will make a sample house to determine if any alterations are needed and to provide advice as to how to build the kit, and materials required, and estimated cost (based on the high prices here in connectifuck).

The plans will likely be ready for construction before I head to Washington DC next week.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:32 pm

Here is the first set of plans, I am having a bit of trouble with getting Corel Draw to do exactly what I want it to do right now, so this one is done by hand with a ruler.

The reason for only having windows and doors on only one of the side walls and short walls is to allow for custom works to be done, I have seen a few cape cods that have windows and doors on 2 walls, so I felt that was a good start.

The prototype was made with a 1/16"x3"x24" section of Basswood, which cost $1.79, and only used 1/2 of the section, so it is possible to make a TT scale house for only about $1.50 each, assuming the entire piece of wood gets used up (two houses), and assuming little added.

Here is the plans, which can be traced onto basswood/plywood with either a ballpoint pen or a hobby knife.

There is a great deal of detail that can be added, so go hog wile if you desire to.

I plan to redo these plans with Corel Draw when I get it figured out, but I figured that as the prototype is almost done, I should post the plans.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:56 pm

Here is the prototype:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Very nice!
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:55 pm

Before anyone asks, yes the prototype is narrower than the blueprints by an inch. The original plans ended up too messy to try to scan, so new plans were drawn up.

All told, the building cost about $1 so far, including the wood, glue, and paint consumed. I need to pick up some thicker wood to make up the chimney.

The prototype will end up on the 4'x2' 180' module, near the road on the opposite end from the proposed graveyard.

Right now Nicholle is doing landscaping on the layout, so getting a good photo is not likely right now.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:57 pm

You going to paint the inside so it's "solid" and add lights?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:17 pm

We do plan on adding lights, but I am not sure if painting the inside would be of any use.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:25 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:We do plan on adding lights, but I am not sure if painting the inside would be of any use.

Well, the wood looks pretty thin. Maybe it's not. I was just thinking about the walls getting lit up.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models