Trace Paper Kits

Re: Trace Paper Kits

Postby BTTB Fan » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:55 pm

What are you going to do for windows/doors? I am thinking Auhagen's pars kits could be an option ( http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/index_cat ... 05_146_149 ). Each kit would have enough pieces for 3 or more small houses, adding $2 per house in cost.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:57 pm

I will test the building out to see if it "glows" and paint the inside if needed. The wood used is 1/16" basswood, and the joints are crammed full of glue, and on top of that the building will get a second coat of paint to cover the marking lines.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:34 pm

BTTB Fan wrote:What are you going to do for windows/doors? I am thinking Auhagen's pars kits could be an option ( http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/index_cat ... 05_146_149 ). Each kit would have enough pieces for 3 or more small houses, adding $2 per house in cost.

Another option is to use a use a paint/felt pen to draw windows on clear plastic.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:52 pm

CSD wrote:
BTTB Fan wrote:What are you going to do for windows/doors? I am thinking Auhagen's pars kits could be an option ( http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/index_cat ... 05_146_149 ). Each kit would have enough pieces for 3 or more small houses, adding $2 per house in cost.

Another option is to use a use a paint/felt pen to draw windows on clear plastic.

I have considered the parts kit, right now backfitting the two houses already built is going to be a pain in the Haggis. The plan is to use small modeling lumber pieces for the windows. With two train shows coming up in the next few weeks, we do not plan on spending a whole heck of a lot on new parts and such.

We do plan on adding shutters to the 1/4 Cape Cod that is awaiting more paint.

Here are photos of the 1/4 cape and the new house:
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:12 am

Good stuff. Now, screw the houses and lets see some industry!!!! :mrgreen:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:22 am

ConducTTor wrote:Good stuff. Now, screw the houses and lets see some industry!!!! :mrgreen:

So I take it that you are against Main Street? :lol:

The 180' module is not intended to have any industrial buildings, only a few houses, a graveyard, and perhaps a scene with a dodge pickup truck with a blown up engine (they come from the factory like that if anyone did not know. :D ).

The other section of the layout is going to have a town/city on it, and a few industrial buildings to boot. The turntable project is on hold for right now, as I am trying to determine if I can reasonably make a 2-6-6-2 or a 2-6-6-4 that can fit on it, or if I have to modify the table section to fit.

In order to be able to access the turntable and roundhouse, it will be on a module that will couple up to the 4'x6' instead of being in the center as originally planned.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:31 am

Here is the two houses as they stand right now. The light blue house used to be Cobalt Blue, but I was not satisfied with the looks of it, so I applied a couple of coats of teal with a few drops of Cobalt Blue mixed in. I am not sure which color to paint the roof of the teal house, medium grey, or black.

Zeke is in the photos to act as a scale.

ImageImageImageImage
AstroGoat760

Postby CSD » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:50 am

What about laying on some overlapping masking tape on the roof with black paint to make it look like tar paper?
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:55 am

CSD wrote:What about laying on some overlapping masking tape on the roof with black paint to make it look like tar paper?

The ultimate plan for both is to make shingles for them, but I am waiting on my TT scale ruler for that. I do have plans for making a tarpaper roofed shack later, but not for these two.

The paint for the roofs is primarily for appearance's sake right now.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:04 am

Wow, eight years since I last touched upon the idea of Trace Paper Kits. A lot has happened since then, mostly for the better.

As part of the project list for TT Scale in 2018, I plan on revisiting the Trace Paper Kit Concept, with revised and improved houses (Sorry, ConducTTor, I want to build upon a variety of homes first before moving on to businesses :lol: ).

I plan on redoing the Cape Cod house, and then at least two other styles, possibly a double-wide style house, before I try industrial/commercial buildings.

Now, to put together a TT scale construction battalion...
AstroGoat760

PreviousNext

Return to Prototypes / Models