Toilet chute (extra/ add on detail)

Toilet chute (extra/ add on detail)

Postby Christtking » Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:40 pm

I know it's kind of embarrasing to talk about this kind of thing. I just realized a long time ago that a lot of manufacturers in this scale do not like to bother taking some things seriously. They do not like to improve their models, they don't want to develop or add eye catching details that in reality are important parts of a train (coach). I studied the models from Kuehn, TILLIG, PSK, SCHIRMER, etc. Only TILLIG adapts some of their models (e.g Donnerbucshen coaches, dating back from Zeuke/ BTTB era?) with the funky (offset) moulded poop chute. I give them the credit for that, at least they are using it. Long Halberstadter centre entries (TILLIG), Silberling coaches (TILLIG & KUEHN), the 2 axle (e.g. BCi type) from SCHIRMER, all the single units double deckers from KUEHN just to name a few, could use this type of detail. Mostly the eras that required this type of advanced tecnology before the tanks were introduced under the more modernized coaches. :grin:
Because the space is limited, or the bogie is in the way , or the coupling system (mechanically imposible), etc. EXCUSES!!!!
I heard them all. I can adapt them to my models, no problem. Of course they are exceptions like the bogie is really in the way like on the type B/Y/YB70 coaches. I am certain that there are other coaches with the similar problem, but not all of them. The only thing is (minor problem) I do not have a lathe anymore. Parts being moulded, not so good (I think). Machined out of brass or aluminum or even DELRIN would do the trick, or any other cheap material that can be painted. Every coach might require different matching color according to the frame. Colors to choose: black, burnt umber (or anodized bronze), dark green, ocre or mustard brown, gray (single unit double deckers from Kuehn).
Comments: I expect a lot of them!
CD_Bmo_bogie.jpg
Look to the right side of the bogie (just an example of what I'm talking about).
Christtking

Re: Toilet chute (extra/ add on detail)

Postby Christtking » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:22 am

I forgot to mention that this detail is to be used only on European prototype models (passenger coaches). The upsidedown chimney could be machined according to the real life samples that came in different shapes and sizes. The curved ones (that ar found at the ends of the multiple units double deckers) are a little more difficult to make. The shaft has to be machined longer the bend in 2 places with round nose pliers.
Christtking

Postby LVG1 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:39 pm

Christtking wrote:I forgot to mention that this detail is to be used only on European prototype models (passenger coaches).

What was it handled like in America?
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Christtking » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:55 pm

:lol: :thumbup: LVG1 to be honest, I do not know. I collect only European prototypes and that's why I found this pretty interesting, eye catching detail. I've got the Idea from the Donnerbucshen 2 axle coaches, old timers and 2/3 axle coaches from BTTB/Tillig models. Now I need to find a machinist, a very good (accurate) one. I found one last July, he wanted me to provide the brass rods and he will machine me 300 of those puppies for 600$, I don't think so!, $2 a pop and I will provide the material also? and will take him 1 month to make them. I would pay that kind of money if he would be a good machinist and meet me half way (buy the material and drill a hole in the center, might as well let's make this sxxt real) :lol:
Christtking

Postby scaro » Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:19 pm

LVG1 wrote:
Christtking wrote:I forgot to mention that this detail is to be used only on European prototype models (passenger coaches).

What was it handled like in America?

not quite on topic, but among the last uses for composite (part wood) boxcars in the USA was sludge traffic from chicago sewage plants to rural areas where it was used as fertiliser. illinois central used such cars on this traffic as late as 1980.
scaro

Return to General Discussion