Postby ConducTTor » Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:28 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Today in history

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:48 am

Ten years ago today marked the second space shuttle loss, that of OV-101, Columbia, at the end of STS-107, with less than 15 minutes until landing.

I remember the day when STS-107 launched. It was mentioned during morning muster when I was stationed in Goose Creek, SC. My Section Leading Petty Officer (SLPO, the immediate supervisor for my class division), EM1 (SS) Gilliam made a rather foreboding remark about the launch; words to the effect that he had a gut feeling that the crew would not make it home alive, and that the Columbia would shatter in space.

He was close, as Columbia tried valiantly to return her crew to Earth, but failed at around 40 miles in the atmosphere, 10 miles shy of the US definition of space at 50 miles up.

I also remember learning about the loss of Columbia. 01February2003 was a Saturday, and as the first Saturday of the month, my division was embarked on what is pejoratively called "Mandatory Recreation", or "Mando-Fun" for short, basically mandated off-base activities designed to blow of stress of the command, and the tests therein. Owing to the number of injuries sustained during the last "Mando-Fun", held about two weeks earlier, where we went to an indoor skating rink in North Charleston, SC. I ended up with a goose egg on my noggin from a slip and fall, much like a few others; we did a "photographic scavenger hunt". (Mandatory Recreation was held on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of each month, except for the three weeks leading up to finals).

A photographic scavenger hunt is where you go in teams of 4-5, and travel in one vehicle and travel around and take photos of items/places/people that best fit the list. An independent party would take the Polaroid photos and the list and grant rankings based on their match-ups. During our search, we ended up at the Summerville, SC Wal-Mart to photograph a pile of hula-hoops. While waiting for the people in my team to pose for the photo, I noticed what looked like a comet streaking across the sky, breaking up in the process. The caption was about the shuttle Challenger, so I was a bit puzzled, as to why they would mention the loss. Then images of Columbia, from STS-1 came up, followed by a caption of Columbia being lost having broken up at 25 times "the speed of light" (That was CNN at it's finest). I dropped the camera, doubled over and vomited when it sank in that Columbia was gone.

We called off the scavenger hunt, and went back to the barracks (at least those of us that were not married did). I remember EM1 (SS) Gilliam's first remarks when I saw him next. He was visible shaken, and uncharacteristically, he was very quiet. He mentioned how he felt bad for saying what he did days earlier about the launch. It was one of those things that hits you so hard that you remember little details of when and where you were when you found out it happened.

I am not sure which is worse: the fact that the Columbia and her crew were no more, or the fact that we basically gave up on manned NASA missions to space afterwards. If it wasn't for NASA's obligations to the International Space Station, the remaining birds would have been dismantled then and there. We got knocked down, and we decided to sit it out.

Hail Columbia!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:57 am

It's been 10 years already???? OMG.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:15 am

ConducTTor wrote:It's been 10 years already???? OMG.

I have two things to remind me. First is what was mentioned in the last post. The second is on the 2nd of February, 2003; the first joint on my right index finger gave up and locked up after weeks of trouble from all the note-taking and writing I had to do in class at that command, which necessitated surgery, and has left me with a lot of scarring while resulted in me having a fraction of the range of motion in that finger, compared to the rest of my hand.

That was a very bad week for me. On the 1st, the Columbia was lost.

On the second, the finger joint problem reared it's head (see above).

On the third, I ran over some nails and blew all four tires on my truck on the way to the hospital for X-rays and pre-surgical screening.

On the fourth, someone broke into my truck, and stole my cassette deck.

On the fifth, I received word that my best friend from high school died in Iraq.

On the sixth, I received a ticket while going 2 MPH over the speed limit in Hanahan, SC (the same cop ticketed me a year and a half later for going 10MPH under the speed limit during a heavy rainstorm related to hurricane Charley); during which the officer in question smashed out my passenger side tail-light and ticketed me for that as well. I ended up missing my doctor's appointment because of that.

On the seventh, I was inadvertently demoted due to a paperwork foul up, which took almost a month to correct, as well as had to tell my best friend's parents about what had happened to their son, as he had me as his primary (and only) contact, due to a falling out with them.

So yeah, February 2003 was a bad month for me.
AstroGoat760

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:51 pm

50 years ago tomorrow, June 16th, 2013, is the 50th Anniversary of the first space flight by a woman, Valentina Tereshkova.
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:38 pm

valentinat.jpg
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:56 am

Today in History:

Today is the 30th Anniversary of the loss of the Shuttle Challenger with all seven crew members during the ill-fated STS-51-L mission.
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:00 pm

I was late to school that day because of that, and when the teacher asked why I'm late, and I told her about the space shuttle blowing up, she didn't believe me at first.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:08 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:Today in History:

Today is the 30th Anniversary of the loss of the Shuttle Challenger with all seven crew members during the ill-fated STS-51-L mission.

OMG I remember that like it was a year or so ago 30 years already. RIP all who were lost
richardedmonds

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:44 pm

I still remember it as well :(

Exploration is not for the faint hearted. RIP STS-51-L.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic