Today in history

Talk about anything and everything!

Re: Today in history

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:15 pm

^^^^ One of those must do things in life. I regret not seeing a shuttle launch :(
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:46 pm

richardedmonds wrote:
Marquette wrote:Well, today is/was also the 30th anniversary of the first launch of the Space Shuttle... but that saddens me that it's being retired without a successor...

Makes me think how lucky I was to see the launch of Enterprise from Florida some years ago. Really was an awsome and unbeleivable experience for me. I watched that thing from a mass of daylight during darkness to a small tiny white speck and even now my got a chill thinking about it. Luckily even got to see a rake of Diesels in Taft yard on my way there.

Enterprise never launched, as it was never a space rated orbiter.

The launching of Columbia STS-1 on April 12, 1981 was a coincidence, as the launch was shoved back several times.

Sorry, but I am a space nerd, and have been considering putting a 1:144 shuttle stack on the layout, part of "forced perspective".

Too bad Buran was totaled...... perhaps the successor ship for the US shuttle will be a reborn Buran 2.01.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby Marquette » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:54 pm

Buran was pretty...

I remember Expo 86 here in Vancouver, I was 10 years old at the time, just really discovering the history of space.

The USSR pavilion had me absolutely spellbound - above the entry door was a huge statue of Gagarin, almost like an "ascension into heaven" type of pose:

Before going in, I spent at least half an hour just standing and staring at it and dreaming... I remember this clearly for many reasons, including my uncle coming back and telling me to take a picture, I can stare at that as long as I want. Inside, the exhibits (as I recall) were mostly focussed on space exploration, and out back there was a full-size replica of the Salyut station and Soyuz capsule you could go up inside... naturally, I did - standing in line several times for it.

I first learned about Gagarin when I was four, spending a year in Hungary... he became one of my childhood heroes then, and I still have the same undiminished admiration for him...
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby richardedmonds » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:23 pm

richardedmonds wrote:
Marquette wrote:Well, today is/was also the 30th anniversary of the first launch of the Space Shuttle... but that saddens me that it's being retired without a successor...

Makes me think how lucky I was to see the launch of Enterprise from Florida some years ago. Really was an awsome and unbeleivable experience for me. I watched that thing from a mass of daylight during darkness to a small tiny white speck and even now my got a chill thinking about it. Luckily even got to see a rake of Diesels in Taft yard on my way there.

Well thats gone and done it Angry! I am now delving all the old photo's from years ago trying to get a year so I can identify the shuttle that I saw erupting up from Cocoa Beach all those years ago. Bloody amazing though that for such an event I didn't remember what the correct shuttle was. Have to say though that a couple of days in the Space Centre was a pretty interesting time for everybody. What I do remember from the bar in Cocoa was the immense pride from all the Americans there, nothing patronising at all just a massive feeling of pride in what the country could actualy do for the best. What I did not expect was the burn from the rocket to illuminate everything in pitch darkness to sunrise in a matter of a few seconds "FANTASTIC"
richardedmonds

Postby CaTTwoman281 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:00 pm

Well, the final locations for the shuttles has been released by NASA, so perhaps it is time to take Zeke out and travel to all 3 operational shuttles (Discovery, Atlantis, and Endeavour), and the two official mock-ups (Enterprise and Pathfinder (I am not sure about the mock-up shuttle Ambassador, is it still around?)
Real Women Not Only Drive Diesel Trucks, They Drive Diesel Tractors!
CaTTwoman281

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:45 pm

Where are the 3 real ones going?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:52 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Where are the 3 real ones going?

Discovery (OV-103) will go to the Smithsonian
Atlantis (OV-104) will reside at the Kennedy Space Center
Endeavor (OV-105) will go to a museum in California

Enterprise (OV-101) will go to the Intrepid museum in New York City.
Part of MPTA-098 (the tank, the engine module is at KSC) is on display in Huntsville, AL.
Challenger (STA/OV-99) will stay in an abandoned missile tube at KSC.
Columbia (OV-102) might have some it's parts on display at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

OV-100 never existed, and it is unlikely there will ever be an OV-106.
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:37 pm

Thank you.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:37 am

I still say that a TT scale model of the launcher used for the Buran / Energia stack would be badass.
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun May 15, 2011 3:43 pm

For those that did not hear, Discovery has been retired, and is now being stripped of anything that would pose harm during her retirement. The OV-103 will be in the Smithsonian later this year / early next year.

Perhaps a future generation will wise up, dust the old birds off and use them for what they were meant for.....
Last edited by AstroGoat760 on Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AstroGoat760

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic