tillig turnout

Re: tillig turnout

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:32 pm

CSD wrote:Okay. If they are like the one pictured above you have to put the flat key shaped electrical connection pieces in place then seat the points and switching arm. Next, you will need a hammer, a solid metal surface (the side of an old saw blade works) and a phillips screw driver. Place the switch with points in place upside down on the metal plate. Align the screw driver in the center of the pins on the point ends (there should be a little depression there) and give them a few shots with the hammer to spread the pins enough to keep it from falling out. Insure that you don't hammer so much that the points have difficulty moving and that the parts are aligned.

I made a few of these too and found that paying the few extra bucks for the assembled ones was worth it.

A rubber mallet you be a little more advisable than using a metal head hammer, less chance of warping the track.

I found that out the hard way when rebuilding an American Flyer standard gauge turnout. :(
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:11 pm

I picked up a half dozen curved turnout kits (3RH, 3LH) from Euro Train Hobby, and they showed up today. The price difference basically equated to 3 kits for the price of 2 built up turnouts. Aside from getting the hang of installing the switch points, not that bad of a kit to assemble.

I can't wait to get the layout ready for these tracks to be installed...
AstroGoat760

Postby jmass » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:42 pm

ok so tell me, being i prefer manual turnouts as i plan on doing a lot of industrial switching, does tillig make a pure manual turnout becuase what i see on euro train hobbys site makes no mention of manual switch for advanced track, while it does for its bedding track.
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:46 pm

Yup. There are two versions (right and left). Here is one of them (out of stock) http://www.eurotrainhobby.com/product_i ... ts_id/4282.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby jmass » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:39 pm

thanks boss!
jmass

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:01 pm

CSD wrote:Okay. If they are like the one pictured above you have to put the flat key shaped electrical connection pieces in place then seat the points and switching arm. Next, you will need a hammer, a solid metal surface (the side of an old saw blade works) and a phillips screw driver. Place the switch with points in place upside down on the metal plate. Align the screw driver in the center of the pins on the point ends (there should be a little depression there) and give them a few shots with the hammer to spread the pins enough to keep it from falling out. Insure that you don't hammer so much that the points have difficulty moving and that the parts are aligned.

Total pain in the Haggis to do just right.

CSD wrote:I made a few of these too and found that paying the few extra bucks for the assembled ones was worth it.

I should have listened.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:10 pm

ConducTTor wrote:

CSD wrote:I made a few of these too and found that paying the few extra bucks for the assembled ones was worth it.

I should have listened.

Am I the only one here that enjoyed putting those turnout kits together?
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:19 pm

AngrySailor302 wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:

I should have listened.

Am I the only one here that enjoyed putting those turnout kits together?

I enjoyed it. I'm just not happy with the design of the points - more specifically the attachment methods.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Sat May 29, 2010 7:41 pm

For the record, I now consider these switches garbage. If you're slightly off on how you put the points on you get derailment. If you try to fix them, they will likely break. Pure crap as far as I'm concerned.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Layouts / Track Plans