Tillig TRAXX2E MS Class 186 DB 04900

Tillig TRAXX2E MS Class 186 DB 04900

Postby Dibbedabb » Thu May 10, 2012 4:49 pm

Hello!

Tillig's TRAXX series has a new family member. The first electric versions of the TRAXX2E MS are being delivered. Besides the silver ITL version the red DB version is now available as 186 323. MS stands for "Multiple System" and means, this unit can be used under AC and DC catenary.

What shall I say? It's really good! It follows the footsteps of the Diesel-TRAXX2. But since one picture tells more than a thousand words, here is the talk with few words...
Side:

Side & Front:

A little more Front :wink: :

So, how does it compare? Let's take a look and compare two sisters...
On the left is Kuehn's 185, which is a TRAXX1 unit, on the right is Tillig's 186, could be referred as version TRAXX2.5.
Ok, I know, it's not fair to compare these two models, but since life isn't always fair, I will do the comparison - both units have ups and downs.
Between the left and right original are 7 years of technical development - between both models 4 years. Tillig's model comes fully equipped, all handrails are already put on the model. Tillig's details are sharper than Kuehn's. But the difference is small, not comparable to the "washed out" details on Piko's class 182. And - what a surprise - the door handles are better painted. The TRAXX series is Tillig's first model over all with painted door handles. This fact shows: Tillig CAN, but didn't WANT before. That's not a good thing when doing business.
On the other hand Kuehn has the much better pantographs. It is correct that the Bombardier TRAXX1 and TRAXX2 have their AC pantographs on the inner side, while the TRAXX2E has it's AC pantographs on the outer side (like SIEMENS)

Now let's take a look onto the bogies:
Kuehn's bogie on the left have deeper and better details, but the first two steps to the cabin doors are attached to the bogie. Tillig's steps are all part of the body, which is correct.
A short technical issue: Kuehn's units all have a 6pin decoder connector, this Tillig unit has a PluX12-alike connector with - nice detail - an adapter to directly use a standard 6pin decoder. With a PluX12 the locomotive has switchable full beam, backlights and shunting light. To use switchable backlights with the Kuehn model, the user has to cut two connections on the circuit board and then solder a connection to the function output on the decoder. Full beam is not available.
The handling is equal, Tillig has - finally - reached a level that Kuehn always had.

Ok, back to the details and optical comparison:
This is big win for Tillig. Although the 186 also have short coupling, Tillig managed to have the front look a lot more closed, while Kuehn's loco (and many others...) just has a big "hole". Kuehn's front lights are too big. The handles on both models have about the same thickness with Tillig's being separate parts.
Over all Tillig's unit looks "heavier" than Kuehn's model, which is a bit lightweight. Well, the original 186 also looks heavier than the 185, but Kuehn's version is too lightweight...

Last of all, the roof garden:
Compared to the class 189 (why didn't I take a picture of this...?) the 186's roof garden is much less colored - which is correct. BUT the original's roof wiring is not white, but silver grey. Tillig chose the wrong plastig, plus it's quite thin. Maybe I will use some color... Kuehn did it better (together with the pantographs), but clearly had an easier job.

So, how do they compare? Without a doubt Tillig's 186 is the much better model. But Kuehn's 185 isn't a bad model at all. Both models have a good price-performance ratio. Saying this it's important to know that Tillig's SRP is around 160 euros, while Kuehn's SRP is - depending on the version - between 115 and 125 euros. As always, street prices are lower. I bought my 186 for 137 euros.
Last edited by Dibbedabb on Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dibbedabb

Re: Tillig TRAXX2E MS Class 186 DB 04900

Postby ConducTTor » Fri May 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Kuehn's 185 looks a bit taller. Is this prototypical?
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Dibbedabb » Fri May 11, 2012 3:25 pm

No, that's not right. Both prototypes have a roof top height of 3,845mm. But I don't know, if the 186 is too low or the 185 too tall ;)
Dibbedabb

Postby ConducTTor » Fri May 11, 2012 5:35 pm

Thanks. I have a 185 so I'll measure it if I remember.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Christtking » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Beautiful comparison! Thanks for the photos and info. No doubt Tillig always wants to be on top. I really hate when the handrails (fronts and doors) and grab bars (fronts and roof if applicable) are moulded into the shell. Kuehn and Piko still do that. If possible I always try to modify and add raised ones.
Christtking

Return to Tillig TT Scale Models