Tillig TRAXX Startset 01424

Tillig TRAXX Startset 01424

Postby Dibbedabb » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Hey guys,

yesterday I got my pack of the 01424 TRAXX Startset with a class 285 locomotive, 2 fright cars and a small track circle with an analogue driving control. Following I will comment the package contents.

Most important thing is the manual uncoupler, of course. You can never have enough of them :mrgreen:
Second most important thing is the rerailer. Could be the fourth one I got during the last nearly 30 years. Crap thing.

Ok, now serious. The most important content is the class 285 Diesel TRAXX locomotive.

It looks really good, but is simplified in a few details:
- the front window is too high. The original's windows isn't so high into the roof, because above it there is a > destination display < (on class 146.2 (TRAXX2) and 246) or a > simple metal plate < (on 185.2 (TRAXX2), 186 or 285).
- no separate handrails on the front, which is fine for me. I don't need them separately. But on the side doors they are separate. But very good: Very very fine, even finer and thinner than on the class 189, and with a perfect fit. Definitely a step ahead.
- the door handles are not painted yet - again. Let's see, if they are on the "real" models.
- footsteps on the front part of the front, not separate seared parts like on the "real" models

- no brake discs on the wheels. Really bad, because very typical for all new locomotives and clearly visible due to being metallic grey, nearly silver. But the discs from class 189 fit.
- The trucks are very detailled and not simplified
- The locomotive has 2 train control antennas on each side, one on the truck (for the german train control system), one in the middle of the locomotive for another system. This must be a leap ahead on coming models, because the 285 is only approved for Germany.

- no big fan on the roof (Diesel locos only)
- nice exhaust

The locomotive is from era VI, labelled 9280 1285 105-3 D-BTK and meaning, it's owned by the manufacturer Bombardier Transportation.

Technically the model isn't simplified. It has the same smooth drive like the other new Tillig locomotives. Not as smooth as Roco's 232 oder Kuehn's locomotives, but it comes close.
The loco has a white / red light with digitally switchable full beam.

The two fright cars are regular models with - good to know - new previously unused numbers. The box car is class Habbills346 and from era VI.

The flat car is class Res475 and from era V.

What else is in the box?
- a blue 20" container labelled K&N (Kühne & Nagel)
- a Wartburg car. Good for children to play, but why do they put a from the 70s into a box with modern models... If they don't have anything new, just leave it. No child knows these cars. If the parents are asked, what kind of car this is, the child gets 2 different answer depending on the origin of it's parents:
1. Parents from the former west: I don't have any idea, looks like some crappy old eastern car.
2. Parents from the former east: Oh, that's a Wartburg. We had to wait 15 years to get one after ordering it.
- an analogue driving control. It's a new one, very small and light. But who told Tillig it would be cool to put the middle (zero-)position turned to the right at an angle?
- a track circle with a single straight track. As we all know, the couplers prefer being coupled on a straight track, which is a bit difficult, if the only straight track is shorter than each of the fright cars in the set...

Anyway, a good value for money with well known fright cars and a nice but simplified locomotive which gives a good intention how the normally priced TRAXX-locomotives will be like: Very very nice and cool.
Dibbedabb

Re: Tillig TRAXX Startset 01424

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Dibbedabb wrote:1. Parents from the former west: I don't have any idea, looks like some crappy old eastern car.
2. Parents from the former east: Oh, that's a Wartburg. We had to wait 15 years to get one after ordering it.

Awesome. :lol:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:48 pm

I think that for children it's simply the car. No matter which model.

But if you want to know all the truth :) - the Wartburg cars were exported to the West in the 1960s. Even to the USA. (!)
Arseny

Postby Dibbedabb » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:53 am

@Arseny
You might be right...
I didn't know that the Wartburgs were exported to the west. I only knew that from Skoda and Lada. I googled Wartburg USA and there's even a website... Funny.
Dibbedabb

Postby Arseny » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:45 am

Not only Skoda and Lada, but Moskvich and Volga (M-21) too.
My father discovered old Volga in Greece last year, when he travelled there - more than 40 years since the production ceased!
Arseny

Postby jmass » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:08 pm

thats not to bad for a start set. the price is very good.
jmass

Postby Arseny » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:01 am

Yes, the price is very nice.
Arseny

Postby jmass » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:05 pm

another nice thing about the loco is that it takes the pluX 12 decoder which makes it very easy to convert to dcc.
jmass

Postby Rich1853 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:32 pm

Dibbedabb wrote:Hey guys,

yesterday I got my pack of the 01424 TRAXX Startset with a class 285 locomotive,

It looks really good, but is simplified in a few details:
- the front window is too high. The original's windows isn't so high into the roof, because above it there is a > destination display < (on class 146.2 (TRAXX2) and 246) or a > simple metal plate < (on 185.2 (TRAXX2), 186 or 285).

I painted my front and rear wind shield of the 01424 Traxx BR285. The color I used is FS36495 of FED-STD 595, Model Master 1732 Light Gray.

After this photo was taken I masked the windshield and wet sanded the painted area with 2500 grit sandpaper.
Attachments
20180719_143635.jpg
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Postby Rich1853 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:50 am

Dibbedabb wrote:Most important thing is the manual uncoupler, of course. You can never have enough of them :mrgreen:

I lost my Tilligs manual uncoupler. I been using a 6 inch metalscale / ruler the one with a radius on one end. From home depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Johnson-6-i ... TwodPAcBRw
Rich1853
Greetings from Melbourne, Florida USA
On the Space Coast of Florida
Rich1853

Return to Tillig TT Scale Models