Tillig nohab

Re: Tillig nohab

Postby Christtking » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:54 pm

We will figure something out! :thumbup: :grin:
Christtking

Postby CN-TT » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:14 pm

areibel wrote: And the wheels are an easy swap with NWSL, they will slide right onto the Piko axles.

Now I read this a few times and I wonder how easy it is? Do you just use the NWSL wheels on the BTTB/ Tillig/ PIKO axel or complete wheelsets or even wheelsets with a gear? Would an NWSL wheelset with gear even work with older TT stuff? I haven't tried it yet and don't want to waste resources. Any advice is appreciated.

Bjoern
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby scaro » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:57 pm

You can use NWSL wheels with bushings on Piko axles or BTTB ones. Not sure of Tillig because their wheels are hard to get off! For Piko you need a wheel drilled for a bushing and 1.5mm axle, for BTTB a wheel drilled for bushing and a 2mm axle. NWSL do both sizes on request, I think.

However , a Piko Hercules isn't much good for a Baldwin DR 6-4-15. It's an A1A-A1A passenger diesel, very rare.

The ideal thing would be that Piko release a NOHAB, as Piko are cheap and easy to disassemble. But although I don't read German I see someone is offering some kind of kit for 'reconditioning' old BTTB chassis, and it's pretty cheap.
scaro

Postby j p » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:12 pm

scaro wrote:You can use NWSL wheels with bushings on Piko axles or BTTB ones. Not sure of Tillig because their wheels are hard to get off! For Piko you need a wheel drilled for a bushing and 1.5mm axle, for BTTB a wheel drilled for bushing and a 2mm axle. NWSL do both sizes on request, I think.

However , a Piko Hercules isn't much good for a Baldwin DR 6-4-15. It's an A1A-A1A passenger diesel, very rare.

The ideal thing would be that Piko release a NOHAB, as Piko are cheap and easy to disassemble. But although I don't read German I see someone is offering some kind of kit for 'reconditioning' old BTTB chassis, and it's pretty cheap.

This one?
http://stores.ebay.de/ttmodellbahnumbauspezialist?_trksid=p2047675.l2563
j p

Postby scaro » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:40 pm

yes.
scaro

Postby areibel » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:43 pm

CN-TT wrote:
areibel wrote: And the wheels are an easy swap with NWSL, they will slide right onto the Piko axles.

Now I read this a few times and I wonder how easy it is? Do you just use the NWSL wheels on the BTTB/ Tillig/ PIKO axel or complete wheelsets or even wheelsets with a gear? Would an NWSL wheelset with gear even work with older TT stuff? I haven't tried it yet and don't want to waste resources. Any advice is appreciated.

Bjoern

OK, you made me work for it but here's a pic!

That is using these wheels, from NWSL-
http://shop.osorail.com/product.sc?prod ... goryId=239
The wheels are directly on the Piko axle. I think you'd need to use some Locktite or epoxy to make sure they stay on, they pull off fairly easily. That could be from the abundant grease Piko uses though, I didn't clean anything up first.
They're smaller than the ones I was looking for (the HO 30 inch Code 88), I bought these ones for the trucks Ken Rickman designed the Shapeways chassis for. But one slight problem with the Code 64 wheels, they're fine enough you need to move the gauge out just about .010 on a side, the gauge is a little narrow as is. I think I have some thin flat washers somewhere, it wouldn't take much.
And they do fit back into the truck, you might need to modify the base plate a bit to hold them in (thin it down slightly), the differences in the height above the rail between the stock wheels and the replacements is pronounced. That's why I was trying to find the Code 88's that are buried in the dungeon somewhere, I think the gauge would be closer and they would sit higher. The contact strips on the trucks are a little high as is but they do touch, you might have to bend them down a bit to make sure the pick up was good.
areibel

Postby areibel » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:49 pm

One addendum-
If I was going to do this, I would contact NWSL and see if I could order all 8 wheels as the uninsulated version (no bushings). The wheels shown are both the solid wheels and I think they'd work as is, I don't know if the plastic axle to plastic bushing would stay tight?
Dang, now I have to experiment some more!
areibel

Postby CN-TT » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:35 pm

Sorry to make you work so late areibel :whistle: But thanks for the informations!
I'll probably buy only the insulated wheels to use it for the BTTB axles with the gear.
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby scaro » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:44 am

i can't see al's image which is odd. my comment about insulated wheels for Piko relates to the BR151 chassis where the 1.5mm axle is metal. i think they changed to a plastic one on subsequent models.

i considered code 64 but the problem is that using standard TT 18.5mm axles and the limited range of trucks available to us, the code 64 wheel leaves an unsightly gap between wheel face and the inside of the truck sideframe.

to my mind that looks worse than using code 88 wheels ... and the work involved in adjusting every truck and getting bespoke axles done so they'd look OK did not seem worth it.

i guess the FVM wheels solve that problem.
scaro

Postby areibel » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:28 pm

Hi Ben,
If you can't see it here you can see it on my Photobucket-
http://s10.photobucket.com/user/areibel ... f.jpg.html

The original Piko on top, the Code 64 wheels on the bottom.
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion