Tillig nohab

Re: Tillig nohab

Postby scaro » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:14 pm

PS/

As for price, well I'm not sure, and I'll have to keep watching the 'bay. I've been less than impressed with Tillig's quality, if I'm blunt about it (and I usually am).

I have an old BTTB BR130 that used a rather unusual style of chassis with the motor inclined downward at an angle and driving another inclined shaft which then engaged with a horiztonal shaft at the fuel tank level that drove the trucks via shafts that went into the truck themselves. I've got a sense this chassis the same as the one used in their NOHAB.

Did all BTTB drives have this design? And are they any good? Strikes me they are fairly ancient and the design looks a bit clunky.

But if the BTTB chassis does work OK, I might consider buying a BTTB one as it would be a little easier to shorten it.

Ben
scaro

Postby LVG1 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:45 pm

scaro wrote:Did all BTTB drives have this design?

Yes, this was the usual design of Berliner TT-Bahnen's drives in GDR times.

scaro wrote:And are they any good?

At least they worked.
...25 years ago...

But the early ones (made of metal) were clearly better than the later ones (made of plastics).
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Christtking » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:58 pm

They still work if you don't use them daily or that often. I keep mine in boxes. Some of my older models made in the 70's start cracking, the quality of the plastic is was not that good. My electrics E95/BR 254 the frames started to crack in different places, when it start doing that it's good to throw it away and use the rest for spare parts. Electrically and mechanically all my 45 locos are still working. They are still slow and noisy. The only good running characteristics on a BTTB model you find it in E 11/E42 DR Bo-Bo and the E 499 CSD electrics. Those models were design and manufactured by GUETZOLD (back in the days) for BTTB. All the rest (mostly long diesels 2 or 3 axles per bogie) which most of the BTTB models were based on this standard design like LVG1 mentioned.
Christtking

Postby scaro » Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:09 am

Thanks gentlemen.

I measured my BTTB 'BR130' and get 83mm between truck centres. That's about 2' too long for the Baldwin. Sounds like the Tillig would be a better deal, looking at that BTTB mech. Mine is one of the plastic ones and I don't think shortening it would be that easy. I've often wondered whether junking the whole inclined shaft drive and just putting a motor in the fuel tank to drive a BTTB unit directly on the shafts would be a better idea.

Ben
scaro

Postby LVG1 » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:46 am

scaro wrote:Mine is one of the plastic ones and I don't think shortening it would be that easy.

Plastic drive plus shortening—that sounds like a bad combination. I'ld suggest to not do it.
The plastic drives relatively fast wear off and than warp or even crack. I had to replace the plastic drive of my E94 after a relatively short time by the metal drive of an older locomotive. Now it works well.

scaro wrote:I've often wondered whether junking the whole inclined shaft drive and just putting a motor in the fuel tank to drive a BTTB unit directly on the shafts would be a better idea.

I've also dealt with this idea. But actually I don't like those cardan shafts. So I've discarded this idea.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby krokodil » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:27 pm

The inclined drive is not a problem, they will work for ever ( except the small distribution shaft between the cardans. The gear on that short shaft was extremely sensitive.
There is also a reduction on the inclined drive, that means a direct drive from the motor will not improve the mechanizm.
The new TT models have different drives
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby scaro » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:29 pm

thanks krokodil

i have a BTTB loco on the way. grand cost of 35EUR. one thing i noticed with my other BTTB chassis is that it is quite easy to replace the wheels with NWSL ones. One cardan shaft will need shortening along with part of the fuel tank. However, I have a cunning plan involving an Atlas N scale GP35 if this rather ancient mech doesn't work.

ben
scaro

Postby Christtking » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:53 pm

Scaro, have you considered looking at other posibilities? For example some of the newer models from PIKO TT. I am planning to modify one BR 130 DR (Soviet diesel) BTTB model with parts from TILLIG and parts from BR 130 (new version from PIKO), just something to do when I get bored :lol: Or my guess is that you really like the old driving mechanism from BTTB.
Christtking

Postby scaro » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:29 pm

The reason for the interest in the NOHAB is it has correct wheelbase trucks for the US diesel I'm looking at doing. I do not think Piko make anything with that wheelbase. Tilligs I have seen have a heavier, metal chassis that does not look easy to shorten, and I don't like their wheels- hard to get off and replace (BTTB ones are easier to remove and replace with NWSL.)

If the BTTB will run, it's OK. This loco is not going to have to haul a lot. If not, there are other options based on what's around in N scale.
scaro

Postby areibel » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:47 pm

Ben,
the Piko Hercules is worth taking a look at- the wheelbase is slightly short (8feet, 8 inches) but careful placement of the sideframes will easily hide that. And the wheels are an easy swap with NWSL, they will slide right onto the Piko axles.
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion