Tillig ICE 1 set model 01350

Tillig ICE 1 set model 01350

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:07 pm

This is a 3 piece set consisting of two power heads and a 2nd class passenger wagon. One of the power heads is motorized the second is a dummy.

Lighting is directional - 3 front, 2 rear.

Two of the wheels on the motorized power head have traction tires.

Power can be switched to the pantograph via a circuit board switch.

The manual is all German with many pictures.

There is a small bag with a few detail parts.

Bogie axles distance is 24.5mm. Distance between bogie center lines is 95mm.

The circuit board has the usual Tillig 'break off' piece that is substituted when a DCC chip is installed.

Electrical pickup is a bit funky. One of the power heads picks up one rail - the second power head pics up the other rail. Power ultimately gets to the motor via the couplers. The couplers are small pieces of double sided PCB and transfer electricity from one piece to the next. This is very annoying! First, if you lose a coupler you have to manually make another one - I've done it, it's not fun. Second, as the train is moving any non perfect electrical contact between two sections results in a stopped train. The more wagons, the more of these couplers that are ultimately a chance for a bad electrical connection. The only way to really resolve this is to pickup current from the currently non electrified side of each power head bogie. This requires either ordering two pairs of electrical contacts for the bogies and then wiring them to the circuit boards in each power head or a custom solution.

Wagon trucks are not electrified. However, if power is needed it can be tapped into via wires that run from one end of a wagon to the other connecting the electrified couplers.

The separate pieces of the set almost kiss each other when coupled adding to the realism. NOT 286mm friendly - it will do it but not happily. BTTB dimension switches are the same story. It will go through them but not reliably.

Overall, the detail is Tillig level and the ride is very smooth and quiet. The train actually 'feels' heavy as it travels. This is a good thing - it adds to the feel of a real train.

Tillig_ICE_box.jpg

Tillig_ICE_power_head_side.jpg

Tillig_ICE_power_head_front.jpg

Tillig_ICE_power_head_top.jpg

Tillig_ICE_power_head_truck.jpg

Tillig_ICE_power_head_detail_1.jpg

Tillig_ICE_pantograph.jpg

Tillig_ICE_wagon_side.jpg

Tillig_ICE_wagon_truck.jpg

Tillig_ICE_wagon_detail_1.jpg

Tillig_ICE_wagon_detail_2.jpg

Tillig_ICE_coupler.jpg

Tillig_ICE_coupled.jpg

Tillig_ICE_manual_1.jpg

Tillig_ICE_manual_2.jpg

Tillig_ICE_manual_3.jpg

Tillig_ICE_manual_4.jpg
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Tillig ICE 1 set model 01350

Postby Christtking » Fri Oct 10, 2014 9:54 am

To conducTTor: Very nice set! I have one also and I encounter the same problem when the train attacks the curves, not only the tight radius (es). I 've opened up the gap between each coach, separated them on the electrical contact (made of PC board material), so the distance between coaches are 2 mm (3 mm MAX). I know it does not look realistic but this solves the issue for gangways (diaphragms) lock (same thing what happens when the buffers rub against each other on the coaches or wagons adapted with buffers and the couplers are too short in order to bring more realism to the models by using the wrong close coupling mechanism). Somebody told me there is another way of solving this problem on the ICE composition, it has something to do with the external appearence. It is the frame found at the ends ot the coaches. The bottom sections are to be cut off (area where the coupling guide mechanism travels). I contemplated about that before cutting these sections off, it will not look good at all. My way of doing it (I have not try it yet) is to remove the diaphragms with the springs and file them down (a bit) in an angle (the inside vertical areas on both sides).

One thing I have to mention on the doen side that it bothers me the most is that the train composition it is capable of running slow and fast speed very smoothly with the powered cab forward only, when run in reverse the train is pushed by the powered cab and it runs nice at slow speeds (sometimes), mid to full speeds it tends to derail easily. Maybe the unpowered cab is not heavy enough and the coaches lack a little weight inside them (we are talking about a 14 car lenght train here, 13 cars being pushed by a powered unit it should be no problem) The PIKO version of their ICE 3 is just perfect, the heavy motored (powered) agregate is located in the middle of the train composition and I have no problems whatsoever running this train at any speed without coming off the tracks. I am wondering if I can do that to the Tillig models?
Last edited by Christtking on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christtking

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Oct 10, 2014 10:02 am

I'm using two powered heads now and have no derailing issues due to a dummy head at the front. As far as derailing on tight radius curves or switches, I've simply stopped using those (not just because of this set).
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Christtking » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:48 pm

:thumbup: Never thought about that! Thanks conducTTor!
Christtking

Postby j p » Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:32 pm

I have one big problem with this set: the additional cars for it are not available anymore...
I thought that the idea was to sell the set, get the customer interested in ICE and then sell additional cars for it?
If you want a longer ICE train then you have to buy a new set, in a different paint scheme - because the additional cars are available only for the new paint scheme. :thumbdown:
Or - did ICE ever run in a mixed old/new paint?
j p

Postby LVG1 » Sat Oct 11, 2014 4:16 pm

j p wrote:Or - did ICE ever run in a mixed old/new paint?

As far as I know: NO! :snooty:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby Christtking » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:01 pm

To jp: My suggestion to you is that keep the set since Tillig released the previous sets 01350, 01351 etc and the additional cars one time only, just in case Tillig will re-issue the previously manufactured items. I know they are hard to find, beside the 2 cabs and the car that comes with the set you will need 13 more coaches, 1st class, 2nd class and the BORD RESTAURANT coach to complete this long axx train. Set 01350 (DBAG, era 5) with pinkish gray thin line under the wide red stripe and the additional cars (most of them) for it were available from year 2000 until 2002 (I know that you know which article numbers they are, so I will not list them). Set 01351 (DBAG, era 5, same paint color scheme same as found in article 01350 but adapted with extra panthos/2 per cab=total of 4). I think it was released as a limited edition set (belonged to DBAG with access of use in Switzerland). I am not sure which cars would complete this set since TILLIG never released any that would accompany it. I am guessing the additional cars intended to be used with set 01350. Year 2009-2010? Tillig released another set, article number 01352 (DBAG, era 5 again with only the wide red stripe without the pinkish gray thin line under it). Additional car sets and individual coaches were released also to complete the train composition (maybe more to come?). Year 2012-13, Tillig released another set (DBAG, era 6 / new numbering system=additional numbers). Same period year 2012-13, Tillig released also set article number 501020 (DBAG, era 6 but it has era 5 numbering scheme, SINUS version). I am not sure if these set is prototypically correct, maybe there are some things that are missing or not correct. I think they are other cars that would need to be released that goes with this set. For sure I've seen photos of a testing coach with 2 panthographs, different paint scheme (design?) with SINUS written on it. All sets have different prototypical running (operational) numbers. All these sets represent the replica of ICE 1 version (vents only) without additional side windows on both cab ends. There was another set released by Tillig (I have never seen it), I do not know what article number it is, but it is blue with some logos on it (I think it has something to do with the European Union?). I am pretty sure that there might be some other versions of this train (made by SPIELE MAX perhaps?), not exactly sure. If I made any mistakes in explaining the above info, anyone more knowledgeable, please be free to make the proper corrections.
Christtking

Postby j p » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:40 pm

I know about the other sets.
I want only 1 ICE train, DB is not my main focus.

Edit: I have got some more of the cars + extra 01350 set, so I can use 2 motorized head units too.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j p

Postby Christtking » Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:10 pm

To jp: I've purchased my set 01350 and all the corresponding coaches from Michas Bahnhof in person from his shop in Berlin (2000 & 2002). If you know anybody in Germany or if you travel, I suggest you go to see him in person. I guarantee that he is going to help you out. He might not have them on hand but he can get them for you. I purchase most of mine as a second hand but he cleans them good. He sometimes gets them from Tillig after they run them on layouts at train shows. He has a brother that owns a store in Berlin also. I think it is called TOTO's. Good luck!
Last edited by Christtking on Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christtking

Postby Christtking » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:34 pm

To conducTTor: I forgot to mention that you said something in your article about the electrical contacts. I can not run my powered unit (forward) when I have to hook up all the coaches to make up the train composition. I hate that!I have to order some spare parts and adapt the to my ICE (both end cabs). Thanks for the hint! :thumbup
I also remembered that the cutting of the bottom sections of the exterior lips (where coupling mechanism travels) it is shown in Tillig's pages where the spare parts are listed (instructions that come with every set/every powered model). I mentioned on one of my above comments that someone told me that (correction). I apologise, I have too many things on my mind.
Christtking

Next

Return to Tillig TT Scale Models