Tillig FP7 Rock Island model 500180

Re: Tillig FP7 Rock Island model 500180

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:13 pm

Uh huh.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:23 pm

Richard-B wrote:
ConducTTor wrote: <snip>...appears to be the same as Tillig's. A copy of the original Rokal.
So...
A copy of a copy of a model approximating an FP7 (or 9... or neither)

No, that was probably about GP 38-2.
:lol:
http://lok-n-roll.de/product/bausatz-gp-38-2/
j p

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:07 pm

I believe their GP 38 is using original shells.
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby scaro » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:34 am

Richard-B wrote:For reference:
F-unit-Phases_x2200s-1970-ps.jpg

Hi, no, I have the various real life F unit dimensions hardwired into my head, Richard.

I'm wondering how this model stacks up against them dimensionally, particularly the chassis wheelbase truck centre to truck centre, and truck wheelbase itself.

I'd also be interested in knowing how long the Tillig loco's body is from the anticlimber to the rear wall of the unit.
scaro

Postby scaro » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:36 am

Richard-B wrote:
ConducTTor wrote: <snip>...appears to be the same as Tillig's. A copy of the original Rokal.
So...
A copy of a copy of a model approximating an FP7 (or 9... or neither)

The pattern of side louvres approximates an F9 but the unit looks too long for one, which may be why Tillig opted to call it an FP7.
scaro

Postby scaro » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:44 am

The instructions also have a picture of a boxcar that I assume Tillig released at the same time.

Dare I ask what it is a model of?
scaro

Postby areibel » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:28 pm

I dug mine out of the dungeon and measured it up, it's actually not too bad.
The truck wheelbase is about 33 feet 3 inches, I did have to slightly approximate because mine (still) isn't assembled! I put the gear case halves together and put of the baseplate/ side frames to install it in the frame, but nothing was pemanently fixed in place- it could be plus or minus a couple inches.
The shell length over the anticlimber in the front and to the outside of the back wall is about 55 feet 6 inches, so it's actually a little too long. Richard's drawing agrees with the drawing in the Kalmbach Diesel book at 54'8", but I think that's measured over the pulling face of the couplers so the shell might be two or two and a half feet longer. The width measured across the front is 10 feet 5 inches, so it's actually a hair narrow. I don't have a Rokal shell anymore, but I think that's why I sold it- the body was noticeably wider than the Lionels.
According to the drawings it looks like the extra length is behind the cab door and first port hole, but that's my eyeball estimate. There is an extra set of louvers between the cab door and port hole, but that wouldn't be too much to remove if it bothered me much (and it doesn't). From two feet away everyone will just think it's an F unit, period!
areibel

Postby Richard-B » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:45 pm

areibel wrote:<snip>According to the drawings it looks like the extra length is behind the cab door and first port hole...
An extra 4 feet spliced in, to allow inclusion of a steam generator for Passenger car heating;
Hence the "P" in FP7 / FP9
Richard Brennan - http://www.tt-west.com
Somewhere between San Francisco and Budapest...
Richard-B

Postby areibel » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:23 pm

Yup, I know that's what EMD did, but according to the drawing I have the distance from the cab door to the first porthole (on an FP7, Page 100 of the MR Cyclopedia, Vol 2 Diesels) should be about 3 feet three inches, on the Tillig it's about 6 feet four.
On the model the portholes are around two feet closer together, it looks like if you could move remove the forward set of louvers and move the port holes a little farther apart it might do the trick. The overall length is still a bit long but nothing I'd complain about- I don't want to build one from scratch!
areibel

Postby scaro » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:40 pm

Thanks gentlemen, useful to know. Did Tillig injection mold it out of plastic?
scaro

PreviousNext

Return to Tillig TT Scale Models