Tillig Diamond Crossings in DC

Tillig Diamond Crossings in DC

Postby Sventton » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:43 am

Well, let us say that electrical issues are not my strength.... does any one know if the Tillig and/or old Pilz crossings are self insulated and jumpered for the two routes? Or was some additional wiring required for these? Alternately, if that is the case, can they then have gaps cut and be jumpered to work as a normal piece of track? My locos stop dead upon encountering one so I am guessing that it is more than a "gap" issue with maintaining pickup contact. :wall: I'm sure a similar question about their double slip switch will follow.
John
Sventton

Re: Tillig Diamond Crossings in DC

Postby MacG » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:26 pm

The old ones from Tillig are self-insulated and jumpered for the two routes (plastic frogs). The new ones aren't insulated. They need a polarization of the frogs. The change was only a 1-2 years ago.

Tillig:
30° Crossing
15° Crossing
MacG

Postby Sventton » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:42 am

O.K., I have a 30 degree as in the photo, but oddly I must have had it for the past 10 years in my stash of TT track as I haven't bought any in a long time. I'm thinking they must have made that change quite awhile ago. I may just hunt down an old insulated version then. Thanks MacG.
Sventton

Postby MacG » Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:35 pm

I have one since 5 years. I take a look on it. Perhaps they have only changed the 15° crossing.
MacG

Postby Sventton » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:16 am

Well, after tracking down a very old BTTB or Zeuke era 30 degree crossing that option was thrown out as it was the old hollow track version. It was clear that insulating the new Tillig crossings wasn't going to work either so I settled on afar less elegant solution, but one that works and doesn't require taking all crossings out of a track plan. Ye old Triang TT crossing....self insulated and with a touch of a file the transition between rail sizes is not too great. May be a bit of an eyesore but should disguise fairly well when I get everything ballasted. Diamonds are fairly common here in the US, at least in the Midwest, in urban areas, and even once upon a time here in the East though grade separation projects eliminated many.
Sventton

Postby MacG » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:53 pm

I had forgotten to look on it. The 15 degree crossing was insulated. The 30 degree wasn't.

The polarization works with a toggle switch. Combined with a smash board or crossing signals.

Edit: the actually 15 degree crossing is insulated, if you don't contact the frog. Why didn't I see this it recently? :doh: 8 gaps at the 30 degree could work. Near to the angles at the outer and frog rails.
MacG

Postby Sventton » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:45 am

Hi MacG, I tried to gap the 30 degree version but that would have probably destroyed the track piece...it's pretty sturdily made by Tillig. I will take a look at a 15 degree one though I have the Triang crossing installed and operating, it could always be reworked. Thanks.
Sventton

Return to Electric / DCC