Tillig class 189 MRCE / ERS Railways 02477

Tillig class 189 MRCE / ERS Railways 02477

Postby Dibbedabb » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:55 pm

Hey guys,

Things change in Tillig's house - and sometimes they even get better. Santa brought me a class 189 (Tillig 02477) owned by MRCE, operated by ERS Railways B.V., based in Rotterdam (NL).

The original locomotive was built for the DB in a VB2 version with 2 German pantographs only and approved for Germany only - quite useless (and expensive) for a multisystem locomotive. It was one out of 10 locomotives the DB sold to MRCE in a sale-and-leaseback deal to lower the running cost. It was even one of the locomotives the DB carried on using - others were immediately hired to other operators. In 2008 it was rebuilt into a VJ version with 2 German and 2 Dutch pantographs, approved for Germany and the Netherlands. It was hired to ERS Railways until December 2013 and is now hired to LOCON Benelux B.V. in Zwolle (NL).

Let's see a picture:
The locomotive has an era VI livery, which includes the long number: 9180 6189 099-5 D-DISPO. There are plenty of details printed on the sides, and even the doorhandles are painted - first on Tillig's 189 series.

Front / side:

There are a few other new things on this model (images taken with mobile phone):
First of all it has new pantographs compared to previous versions! They are thinner and more realistic. As you can see from the next picture, they are even raised from the roof - very nice.
Though, with light, there's shadow - always... The hooks to keep the pantographs down are quite weak.

But after all, this is quite cool... Here's another look onto the roof:
Yes, the red on the inner pantographs is scratched - on both. Well, all four pantographs should be grey actually...

Than I had to open the model and was really surprised to see the interior (new in the back, old in the front - why did I take the picture that way??? :wall: ):
This is the first 189 (I know of) with a new board inside. This board finally is the same like in the TRAXX - same part number, same rev. number... Now finally you can use any PluX12 decoder to have the high beam, for example - and the socket is much easier to access.

So, after all, this locomotive is a really fine thing and a good addition to my fleet.
Dibbedabb

Re: Tillig class 189 MRCE / ERS Railways 02477

Postby Rich B » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:18 pm

Very nice to see the addition of the head levelling spar on the pantographs- I'd been searching for TT pans with that feature, in future I won't need to!
Rich B

Re: Tillig class 189 MRCE / ERS Railways 02477

Postby Dibbedabb » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:41 pm

Piko has this on all of his single arm pantographs, but these things are really big and misshapen... Made from plastic.
Dibbedabb

Return to Tillig TT Scale Models