Tillig BR 81 starter set arrived

Tillig BR 81 starter set arrived

Postby Robert22 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:09 pm

Howdy,

My Tillig Bahn BR 81 arrived. Pictures will follow in the next couple days, but as for now, I can't seem to get the darn thing to go. I had it running with just the engine, and once adding the cars it would just not go. Any advice?

Robert
Robert22

Re: Tillig BR 81 starter set arrived

Postby Robert22 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:23 pm

It seems the engine will run fine, but then once I add a car I hear a buzzing as the train has stopped. The set came with a transformer, so I"m not sure if that's the problem.
Robert22

Postby Arseny » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:27 pm

Maybe the circuit on the rails by the wagon's wheels?
Arseny

Postby dileTTante » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:29 pm

Yes, it's possible that the car wheels are short circuiting the track. It seems unlikely but it happened to me at the train show, so it's a possibility. Test by adding one car at a time to the loco. With passenger cars then there may be a problem with electrical pickup from the wheels for lighting. I think the set came with a goods van at the rear, so try that by itself with the loco.
dileTTante

Postby Robert22 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:32 pm

I got the cargo car to work with the engine, but the passenger ones do not. I don't know if the passenger ones are meant to light up, because the engine has no light.
Robert22

Postby Arseny » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:37 pm

The BR81 do not have any light, it is the very old locomotive.
But maybe the passenger wagons have?

So, check the passenger wagon's wheels and the lightning system in the wagons (if exists)
Arseny

Postby Robert22 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:54 pm

Ok, I've got one passenger car working with the cargo car attached. The third seemed to have a wheel problem, where one set of trucks was pushed out, and thus not rolling. I popped it back in, and it rolls fine. But if I place it on the tracks it still stops the entire train. I feel like Mr. Bean with his television set :P
Robert22

Postby dileTTante » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:39 pm

Your passenger car has an axle at each end, right? If so, try taking out one axle and turn it end for end so the wheels are opposite of where they were, and put it back in place. Change only one axle, not both.

That's all I can think of trying. Wheels on one axle have to be insulated from each other to prevent short circuit across the track. The insulating is done in various ways. You may need to get different wheels, but that seems unlikely if the other car works alright. The link is to a sample page of a book about layout wiring. The page shows various ways wheels are insulated.

http://books.google.ca/books?id=bkAudj8nELgC&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=insulated+wheels+on+model+trains&source=bl&ots=AH4XgBnFYK&sig=YQpE-qRvpCQQUOoG1xQWrYoOhgw&hl=en&ei=s7bNTvL4DKTliAKSwrHlCw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CFYQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=insulated%20wheels%20on%20model%20trains&f=false
dileTTante

Postby CSD » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:22 am

It is important to note that the Tillig wheel/axle is only insulated on one side. When putting them into a car that has two, two axle trucks, both insulated wheels on a single truck must be on the same side. This is because some of the cars have metal parts to hold in the axles or are rigged for lighting.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby dileTTante » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:08 am

True. However -- although the link to Robert's starter set doesn't work any more and there's no way to tell (probably he bought their last set), I remember his passenger wagons have only one axle at each end. They are two-axle wagons, not four-axle with trucks (bogies). Therefore, if the wagons have lights, one axle should be insulated on + track and the insulated wheel at other end should be on -- track (opposite track). If there is no lighting and the frame is metal then having both insulated wheels on the same side is necessary. Either way, just turning one axle end for end should have solved the problem. Robert seems to have confused axles with trucks in his comments.
dileTTante

Return to General Discussion