tillig br 218 chasis for f3

Re: tillig br 218 chasis for f3

Postby scaro » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:09 pm

scaro wrote:thank you gentlemen. that clarifies things a bit. i don't know what i'll do with the BR120 i bought though. next to no use, sadly.

(snip)

ben

actually that BR120 may be of use. the plastic frame that clips into the enormous metal weight permits the trucks to be flipped around, extending the truck centres by a few scale feet. it could be the basis of a chassis itself.

if you flip one truck around, the truck centres are 35', right for an SD35.

if you do it with both, and then relocated the outer axle on each truck (a dummy) it would be 42', good for C628s and C630s. the motor with its huge milled brass shafts -incorporating a flywheel and worm gear- will need no adjustment as it will still be the right length to drive the truck gears, but it will need to be oriented 90 degrees to fit in a hood unit ... and the wiring from the truck to the motor will have to be redone. don't know if anyone is into big alco centuries, but it's an odd bit of serendipity.
scaro

Postby MacG » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:17 pm

scaro wrote:
MacG wrote:That sounds to me, that Lok-N-Roll has other wheelbase at the F3-chassis as at the GP9 with 23mm.

oh, so if you're using lok-n-roll and he does two truck wheelbase lengths for the F3, that does confuse me a bit.

21.8mm i can live with. 19mm ... well, that's getting to be rather too short.

I called today Lok-n-Roll. The F3-chassis has a shorter wheel base, because of the space to the tank and the coupler. And the short truck covers. If anyone would have the 23mm bogies at the F3-chassis, you can order the chassis with it. But no RTR F3. Adjustments and the assembling must do yourself.

I have no F3-chassis and therefore nothing to compare. It was new for me, but now we are smarter. ;)
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby areibel » Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Thanks MacG! I thought there must be a good explanation, I can see where it would be much easier for an RTR one to use the shorter trucks.
areibel

Postby scaro » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:51 am

MacG wrote:
scaro wrote:
MacG wrote:That sounds to me, that Lok-N-Roll has other wheelbase at the F3-chassis as at the GP9 with 23mm.

oh, so if you're using lok-n-roll and he does two truck wheelbase lengths for the F3, that does confuse me a bit.

21.8mm i can live with. 19mm ... well, that's getting to be rather too short.

I called today Lok-n-Roll. The F3-chassis has a shorter wheel base, because of the space to the tank and the coupler. And the short truck covers. If anyone would have the 23mm bogies at the F3-chassis, you can order the chassis with it. But no RTR F3. Adjustments and the assembling must do yourself.

I have no F3-chassis and therefore nothing to compare. It was new for me, but now we are smarter. ;)

i'm not trying to 'pick a scab', but i am scratching my head a little at this.

i have a lionel F3 now and the truck sideframes are about 22mm wheelbase. it seems odd to me, at least, that a 19mm wheelbase would even line up correctly.

even though i assume some compromises are needed, it surprises me that such big variations are required to get it to work ... N and Z have F units with 9' truck wheelbases where the trucks still have room to pivot adequately.
scaro

Postby areibel » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:09 pm

I think most of it goes back to the original Lionel models. They weren't designed as a powered model, they were a collectable toy that Lionel squeezed a few bucks out of- along with the Lionel signs, watches, clocks, coasters, etc.. One more thing for the avid Lionel collector to have in his collection! Luckily for us they were the right size for TT, and I really think that was luck- I doubt anyone at Lionel designed it for us. And I bet they never dreamed they would be powered and ran on a layout (or they would have engineered and marketed them like that and figured out how to charge more!).
areibel

Postby scaro » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:14 pm

hi al

as i look at the one i have, it actually is quite proportionate as compared to a plan of an F3. maybe the pilot inclines at too sharp an angle, but that's about the only dimensional issue. which still leaves me scratching my head at the talk of there not being enough room for the trucks (?) between the tank and the coupler.

ben
scaro

Postby MacG » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:16 pm

The 23mm truck from Lok-n-Roll has a overall length of 37,4mm. The distance of the truck centers is a bit too short at the Lionel model. I think, it is only a problem with the space to the couplers. To the tank and batteries I have space.
MacG

Postby scaro » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:07 pm

revisiting this ... it is said that the distance between (?) truck centres on the Lok n Roll GP9 chassis is 'a bit short'. sigh. can anyone give the distance in millimetres? ie, how far it is between the truck centres? i'd like to do some work on a GP7 but am not constrained by the Lionel shell, which I do not want to use in any event.

i'm trying to evaluate which of a few options has the least discrepancies!
scaro

Postby MacG » Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:08 pm

I can measure at the weekend the distance of the current GP9 chassis between truck/bogie centres. I own only the old variant.
MacG

Postby areibel » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:42 pm

I checked mine, they actually aren't short? Granted my measurements might be a bit off due to shaky hands and bad eyes but in inches the older version measured 31.15' and the newer one was 31.10', 79.12 mm and 78.99 mm respectively. The prototype is 31 feet, so it's maybe an inch or two long at the most.
areibel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion