tillig br 218 chasis for f3

Re: tillig br 218 chasis for f3

Postby scaro » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:01 pm

that sounds to me like you might have elmer's PVM chassis.

F3-F9 are 30' between truck centres, truck wheelbase is 9'

GP7-20 are 31' between truck centres and truck wheelbase is 9'

remember that FP7 and FP9, both popular because they lasted late and could be used on both passenger and freight, are 34' between truck centres (4' longer than their F unit cousins), and truck w/b is 9'

also ... GP38-50 are exactly the same. (excepting GP40X 35' and 9'9" w/b trucks)

so, a 34' wheelbase mech with 9' trucks would be a damn useful thing in this scale.

back to topic ... anyone got any photos of the BR 215 / BR218 trucks and mech ? :angel:
scaro

Postby Christtking » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:49 pm

DSCF2638.JPG
DSCF2640.JPG
Here are some photos

I'm trying to help if I can. What dimensions are you exactly looking for? A RTR TT scale model that you can convert or modify? Can you give the model's dimensions to me (metric if possible), please?
Christtking

Postby scaro » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:22 am

thank you for these. i am interested in seeing the truck gear tower and how it engages with the worm gear.

i only have a couple of tillig locos. one is a BR120. looking at that BR120, the way tillig does this type of chassis for full width carbody units is they use a heavy metal cowl that forms the the top and sides of the chassis.

motor, trucks, drive shaft of the chassis fit into this.

on the BR120 the cowl is cast so that the trucks and a plastic frame clip in from underneath and engage with a subtantial machined brass shaft which includes the gear worm and a flywheel.

however this shaft is not suited to use in a hood loco -with the flywheel, it's just too wide- and it also looks as though extending the shaft would be very hard. you can't just cut it and fit it into a plastic sleeve to lengthen it. so while the tillig trucks are fine, you need new driveshafts and a new way of mounting them so they engage with the truck gear.

it's a very good design of mech, i guess, but it's a bugger to change it.

piko mechs look easier to change, as they have the worm mounted as an integral part of the top of the truck gear tower itself with a universal shaft connecting to the motor. a bit like an atlas HO diesel. but piko do not do a mech with the right truck wheelbase for anything american.

BR 215 / BR218 trucks are correct for F units and GPs as i believe they are 23mm wheelbase. (9' in TT being 22.86mm.)

the locos i would like to use the BR218 for are F3, FP7 and if a mech could be made for a hood unit, the GP40. dimensions of all are in my post above.
Last edited by scaro on Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
scaro

Postby scaro » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:34 am

areibel wrote:Yeah, you can order direct from Hollywood Foundry if you're having problems. They make nice trucks, but you'll probably spend that 100 Euros for a pair of trucks, no motor, chassis or driveshaft. And be prepared to wait, I've ordered several times from them. The fastest order arrived in a little over 6 weeks, the slowest took around 12...

100 euros for just the trucks ... yikes. what do B-B custom mechs end up costing in total from him, including postage? i don't know but i cannot imagine it is cheap.

i'm worried as the $A is so expensive now. australia is a slightly mercenary country ... we were hitched to britain and sterling, then in WW2 slung in our lot with the US, but since the rise of china we hitched to them economically, and the $A, which used to ride on the back of the USD, is now worth more than the USD and most currencies. its value doubled in relation to the £ for example, in the last decade.

i know this is hurting a lot of australian manufacturers as well as buyers, so i am cautious. also australian postage rates did last year what US ones are doing this year. that is, going sky high.

this is why i'd rather check around and see if there are slightly cheaper options.
scaro

Postby scaro » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:42 am

CSD wrote:
scaro wrote:... i cannot see the point in spending 100 euro on something so obviously wrong...

I don't know if that's fair. Lok n' Roll designed the mechanism to use the parts provided by the Lionel toy.

fair enough that he should do that i suppose. but it's still wrong ... and i'd rather move in a direction of prototypical accuracy, not the other way.
scaro

Postby CSD » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:05 pm

scaro wrote:... looking at that BR120, the way tillig does this type of chassis for full width carbody units is they use a heavy metal cowl that forms the the top and sides of the chassis...

Just so you know, this model is not representative of the way Tillig builds their models. I believe the moulds for this one were bought from a smaller manufacturer at some point.

scaro wrote:... i'd rather move in a direction of prototypical accuracy, not the other way.

Me too. Hard to find the right side frames, however.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby LVG1 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:55 pm

CSD wrote:I believe the moulds for this one were bought from a smaller manufacturer at some point.

The smaller manufacturer was Mr. Tillig's initial firm before he bought Zeuke's bankruptcy estate.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby scaro » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:08 pm

thank you gentlemen. that clarifies things a bit. i don't know what i'll do with the BR120 i bought though. next to no use, sadly.

well if anyone can post shots of BR215/218 trucks, showing gear towers etc, hopefully it is not an error i'll repeat.

ben
scaro

Postby MacG » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:26 pm

I have no PVM chassis, I have only a Lok-N-Roll and my chassis for two GP9.

That sounds to me, that Lok-N-Roll has other wheelbase at the F3-chassis as at the GP9 with 23mm.

The Tillig BR215 bogie without shaft with worm gear (a Tillig standard part):
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby scaro » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:48 pm

MacG wrote:I have no PVM chassis, I have only a Lok-N-Roll and my chassis for two GP9.

That sounds to me, that Lok-N-Roll has other wheelbase at the F3-chassis as at the GP9 with 23mm.

The Tillig BR215 bogie without shaft with worm gear (a Tillig standard part):

thank you for the picture.

oh, so if you're using lok-n-roll and he does two truck wheelbase lengths for the F3, that does confuse me a bit.

21.8mm i can live with. 19mm ... well, that's getting to be rather too short.
scaro

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion