tillig br 218 chasis for f3

Re: tillig br 218 chasis for f3

Postby scaro » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:10 pm

A 1:120 F3, or any EMD with Blomberg trucks would have a 22.86mm truck wheelbase. I think the BR 218 at 23.1mm w/b is a bit closer than the BR 101.
scaro

Postby MacG » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:16 pm

That is correct. But I have choosen the bogies based at the side frames from Lionel. It is very short. Shorter than the BR101 bogies. I had also problems with the coupler. It came in collision with the bogie. This problem would be harder with the BR218 bogie. But you can handle it with move the coupler forwards. It's also more prototypical.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby scaro » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:11 am

yes i am told the lionel F3 has bogies slightly under 8' wheelbase. very inaccurate ... i will not be bothering with the lok n roll mech at all. i cannot see the point in spending 100 euro on something so obviously wrong.

i am trying to get a quote on a custom chassis, probably halling (?) or one from hollywood foundry. i am not sure what this is likely to cost. the UK dealer is very unresponsive.

this is why i want to look at the internals of a tillig BR218 ... to see if it makes more sense to use the trucks from that and convert it.
scaro

Postby CSD » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:17 am

scaro wrote:... i cannot see the point in spending 100 euro on something so obviously wrong...

I don't know if that's fair. Lok n' Roll designed the mechanism to use the parts provided by the Lionel toy.

scaro wrote:... or one from hollywood foundry. i am not sure what this is likely to cost. the UK dealer is very unresponsive...

I would go strait to their Australian website and order there. Pricing is listed there too.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby areibel » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:25 pm

Yeah, you can order direct from Hollywood Foundry if you're having problems. They make nice trucks, but you'll probably spend that 100 Euros for a pair of trucks, no motor, chassis or driveshaft. And be prepared to wait, I've ordered several times from them. The fastest order arrived in a little over 6 weeks, the slowest took around 12...
areibel

Postby richardedmonds » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:44 pm

scaro wrote:yes i am told the lionel F3 has bogies slightly under 8' wheelbase. very inaccurate ... i will not be bothering with the lok n roll mech at all. i cannot see the point in spending 100 euro on something so obviously wrong.

i am trying to get a quote on a custom chassis, probably halling (?) or one from hollywood foundry. i am not sure what this is likely to cost. the UK dealer is very unresponsive.

this is why i want to look at the internals of a tillig BR218 ... to see if it makes more sense to use the trucks from that and convert it.

I have a number of Hollywood Foundry bull ant mechanisms all ordered from Geoff from his website with no problems in fact I found him very responsive and extreemly helpfull and of course accurate to your measurments----unashamed plug for Geoff Baxter
richardedmonds

Postby scaro » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:21 pm

i think if you go direct, it may be a different matter. i was trying a uk representative of hollywood, or at least they used to be. he said he'll get back next week ... let's see.
scaro

Postby MacG » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:33 am

At the GP9 Lok-n-Roll has a Wheel Base of 23mm, what is it at the F3? Or do you mean the 30' Center Bolster?
MacG

Postby areibel » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:56 pm

The F3 and GP9 should use the same truck wheelbase (9 feet), the ones on the GP chassis are right on but the ones on their F3 chassis are short. The Lionel plastic side frames are about 8 feet 6 inches, but they're shorter than that, I think they're a little under 8 feet if I remember right- I'll have to measure it when I get home, but I think they're around 19MM so it's easy to notice the difference. And with a real 9 foot side frame they would be way off.
areibel

Postby MacG » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:58 pm

In my case have the Lionel CSX GP9 and the ASTF F3 the same trucks. The wheel base is approximate 21,8mm - round 8' 7" in reality.
MacG

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion