tillig american?

Post your photos and video links here

Re: tillig american?

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:31 pm

If you want you can email it to me and I'll post it. If Tillig has a problem with an 8 year old catalog of their products being shared with their customers, they can contact me. I'll tell them where to shove it.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby LVG1 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:19 am

ConducTTor wrote:Is it possible for someone to translate the article and post it?

MacG wrote:Too much text (two pages) and too less time (and translation skills).

Hey MacG!
Currently I have enough time to do it.
And because we both are in Dresden, you could lend me the magazine. Would you do this?
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby MacG » Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:16 am

@LVG1: you have a PM
MacG

Postby LVG1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Club – aktuell
issue 1/2004

page 1:

Title page—shown at the start of this thread

page 2:

Preface
Imprint
List of contents

page 3:

Extract of “The story of Casey Jones—the Brave Engineer”
I won’t translate this. It would be weird to translate the German translation of an English original back into English.

pages 4 and 5:

Kit for railroad models according to American prototype

Model railroad vehicles according to American prototypes are available from the manufacturers in any scale. Only in TT they have not been available anymore since the abandonment of the production of the firm Rokal. This is the more astonishing because this scale is actually an American “invention”. Now the model railroaders manage with still existing “antiquarian” rests of the former production of American and Japanese firms and still numerously existing Rokal-models. That the friends of North American Railroads are very active although, is proven by the fact that in Czech neighboring country trucks for freight cars and in the Netherlands a boxcar are made. Even in AKTT, there is a couple of model railroaders who have founded a special group USA. Their module layout has already been shown on several exhibitions. Sure, the circle of potential purchasers is currently not very large, so in the foreseeable future there won’t be large-scale series models in the offing. So handiness is in demand for realizing such themes.

Because there are some handy men in the group of AKTT, they have reworked some Rokal-vehicles (and others). The aim was to improve accuracy of the models and to enable the use of mass-produced parts for the propulsion of the locos to make the procurement of replacement parts easier. Because the basis are industrial models of the time, when the models were not yet very detailed and on the other hand the parts of the models should be made by vacuum casting, there basically were some differences to the prototype tolerated on the models. The technique of making the originals and making the body parts by vacuum casting, of course, produced some cuts in quality compared to mass-produced models out of engraved and/or scoured molds.

Because in TT-scale the model railroaders are a large family, who (more intensively than in other scales) tackle and sometimes even get together with the manufacturers, they could win the firm Tillig as a partner in realizing this plan. So the idea came into being, to offer these kits also to interested model railroaders from outside the thematic special group.

To accommodate the different possibilities of the model railroaders, the kits are offered with completely decorated car bodies and undecorated as well. Because of the relatively high tolerances of the parts within a series, paint templates can not be used. Therefore only all-one-color-variants of the prototypes can be offered as decorated models. The optically very attractive versions of the large railroads—like Santa Fe for instance—can be made of undecorated kits with appropriate expertise and possibilities by means of decals. Dealers, who keep American models in their range, offer those decals with lettering for American vehicles.

Each kit contains all parts for the making of an operative model. The truck kits of the cars are of Czech origin. For coupling the for American models especially suitable couplers No. 714 of the firm Kadee are mounted. These couplers can be obtained without any problems from dealers of American models. Sure, the assembly of the couplers is a somewhat filigree job. But their function compensates for the expenditure. The windows of locos and passenger cars are intentionally not highly transparently, but only semi-transparently made, because the vehicles do not have interior fittings.

The frames of the locos are of babbitt metal, the car bodies, windows, tanks and truck facings as well as the parts of the cars are of synthetic resin casted in rubber molds. Thus some inaccuracies result, which have to be removed before montage. Also some differences of the fitting measures can occur, which have to be corrected with a file. The parts of the propulsion are the same like in the series 101 of Tillig. Only the wheel sets are from a V180. So—in case of correct montage—the same running characteristics like at the large-scale series models are ensured.

Working on the parts assumes the usual equipment for assembling kits of buildings or car models. Additionally, for the montage of the loco a soldering iron and skills in its correct operation are necessary. For gluing instant adhesive has to be used. All unpainted parts can be painted with paints of Humbrol, Revell etc. The parts have to be washed in ca. 30°C warm water with dish soap before. At ca. 60°C the synthetic resin parts become supple. So by means of a hair-dryer they can be warmed for intentional distortion, too. For decoration decals of the firm Microscale Decals are suitable, which offers lettering for many different railroad companies. It is recommended to use decorations for N-scale here, because their adaptation to TT models is easier to realize than that of H0-lettering.

Because of the materials used and the work for the assembling of the kits, they are not suitable for children. It is intended to offer following models:
  • diesel loco FP7
    500179 undecorated
    500180 “Rock Island”
    500181 “Burlington RR”
  • boxcar set (3 cars, 2 different types of 40’ boxcars)
    500216 undecorated
    500195 “Rio Grande”, “BN”, “CSX”
  • streamliner, undecorated, decorated “Burlington RR”
    streamliner set 1 (dome car, coach, observation car)
    streamliner set 2 (2 coaches, dome car)
  • hopper set
  • 60’ boxcar set
  • 40’ double door box car set
  • gondola set
First the boxcar set and the FP7 Rock Island will be produced. The streamliners and the other freight cars are ready concerning their originals. According to the success of the first sets it will be decided about their production. Because these models do not have the character of toys in the conventional sense, they will not be sold commonly.

The following dealers will offer these models:
In case of interest in these models, we ask for making an order at these dealers. These models will be made as small-series models and will therefore not be in stock. Be prepared for corresponding delivery time, because the production occurs only after receipt of an appropriate amount of orders. The prices are not completely calculated, yet. It is estimated that the sales prices will be around 200€ for the loco kit and around 150€ for a freight car set.

pages 6 and 7:

Article about private TT-layout according to German prototype

pages 8 and 9:

Presentation of new special models

page 10:

Delivery dates of new models

page 11:

Reader’s replies

page 12:

Reverse side—15 photos of modern American railroads
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

Postby LVG1 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:38 pm

Additionally, there are 8 photos on these 2 pages:
  • top of a train on a layout—FP7 (Santa Fe, war bonnet scheme) with dome car
  • FP7 (Santa Fe, blue and yellow)
  • parts of a FP7 kit
  • parts of a boxcar kit
  • 2/3 of a boxcar (Union Pacific, yellow sides, silver front ends and roof)
  • 2/3 of a boxcar (Lehigh Valley, green)
  • 1/2 of a streamliner coach
  • 1/2 of a streamliner observation car with obs end
Unfortunately, I don't have a working scanner. But MacG told me that some of the photos already exist on this forum. I've not found them, yet. May be, somebody can help?
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

Postby areibel » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:45 pm

I was lucky enough to find this set, but they're all 40 foot cars-
tillig-500195-us-boxcar-set-t1737.html

They are nicely done, but they don't look like injection molded plastic, thy look like resin? The remind me of the 50 foot cars that Sip Hartmann had done in the Czech Republic a while ago.
Wish I could find more, a friend had them for sale in his shop. I got the set for $60.
areibel

Postby LVG1 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:04 pm

areibel wrote:They are nicely done, but they don't look like injection molded plastic, thy look like resin?

:think:
LVG1 wrote:...the car bodies, windows, tanks and truck facings as well as the parts of the cars are of synthetic resin casted in rubber molds.

:idea:
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

Previous

Return to Photos / Videos