Tillig 16502 DBAG Bpmz 291

Tillig 16502 DBAG Bpmz 291

Postby Rich B » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:45 am

Pretty much the backbone of the remaining locomotive hauled InterCity services in Germany, a Bpmz is a second class open saloon air conditioned coach with a top speed of 200km/h (124mph).

Well, frankly this is a dog of a model. The underside is really odd, it's been set up to get round train set curves and leaves everything out of place. The springs of the secondary suspension should come right up to the bottom of the bodyside, instead there's a noticable gap. The skirting over the equipment appears too deep as well and should certainly curve in more, the whole effect makes the coach look like it's up on stilts. The windows look misproportioned, there's no attempt to represent the destination screen and there are handrail holes where the real thing doesn't have handrails. Te The crowning glory is the interior. It's a second class coach- so Tillig have put in a 1st class interior, 2+1 seating such as would be found in an Apmz. It's very visible through the windows. It's also lettered as a Bpmz 291.2, which would have been converted to a Bpmz 294 by 2001 at the latest- the likelihood of one carrying ICE style livery is very slim. I think it would even have been converted to a Bpmz 293.2 in 1991, if the number is anything to go by.

:thumbdown: I've just bought two of them haven't I? I'm really surprised, this is quite a recent model and Tillig's wagons seem great to me, why should the passenger stock be such a let-down? Here's what they should look like: http://www.vagonweb.cz/fotogalerie/D/DB_Bpmz.php
Rich B

Re: Tillig 16502 DBAG Bpmz 291

Postby CSD » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:07 pm

I assume that your pair came with the 01408 set? Tillig seems to employ a bit of fantasy when they put sets together.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby Rich B » Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:02 pm

No, I brought these separately. The set came with an Aimz and a Bimz, which I will photograph next. The Bimz is nice, as is the Aimz, but the Aimz shouldn't really be carrying ICE livery.
Rich B

Postby scaro » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:06 pm

i am not impressed with the limited bits of tillig that i own. as i probably said on here, i ordered an M62 which turned out to have an eggshell-thin shell, over a chassis consisting of a very heavy metal cowl over the motor and drive ... unsurprisingly with that kind of combination, when it experienced a bump, the shell snapped and broke in transit. it wasn't the the fault of the seller, he'd packed it well. fortunately i was buying it for its drive, not anything else. had i been after an RTR loco, i would have been very annoyed.

i've been similarly unimpressed with marklin Z, particularly their 'squashed' EMD F7 and unrealistic american rolling stock, which is a joke and should have been retired decades ago.

all up, i am just slightly wary of alleged german engineering quality, particularly when it comes from people who elevate this alleged european know-how, at the same time criticising chinese-made products ... which generally cost about half as much.
scaro

Postby Rich B » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:21 pm

My experiences are mostly good, every loco I have seems well engineered (V60, 101, 143, 189) and the newer wagons very nice looking. This coach just doesn't look right! I haven't got any of the Berliner rehashes, but I'd feel a bit unfair picking holes in them- by comparison, the Bpmz was announced as recently as 2010.
Rich B

Postby Dibbedabb » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:13 am

It's kind of a two-sided medal. If Tillig wants, they can. Obviously they don't want, and the sad thing is: they think, their stuff is just great. They are completely impervious to any argument or hint.

In my opinion they do a lot of good or great freight cars. But all passenger cars except the modern double deck cars (DO2000) are just crap, Tillig is the only company in the world, where the cars are on the already mentioned stilts (not even in Z scale!), most have a wrong (and orange!) interior.

Of course, every manufacturer has it's downsides, but Tillig manages it to spoil nearly every model: Whether it's the outside construction (for example the new E40 with the worst body ever made in model train history), and/or the inside construction (if you put a PluX12 decoder into the new V200, the body didn't really fit back onto the loco - the problem is solved in the meantime), and/or the lettering (first class 189 was stationed in Hamburg - NO DB-189 was ever stationed in Hamburg), and/or an electrical problem (12pin-decoder connector in class 189 is non-standard-PluX12 until today) and/or production problem, and/or (the worst thing) they are extremely mean. For example all TRAXX-locos have polish train control magnets in the middle of the loco, because Tillig rejects to build different tanks (on Diesel) or battery boxes (on electric) for locos with and without admission onto the polish network. The new class 146.5 (IC loco) also has these magnets - with an approval for Germany only. And it has the wrong body: It's a TRAXX2 version, and Tillig uses the TRAXX2MS body, which has openings for the gas pump nozzles and big closed segments that can be replaced by fan grills on Diesel locos. The TRAXX2 has flat side (compare pictures 1 and 2). The original doesn't have cameras on the sides, Tillig's version has... And so on.
The fact that the original TRAXX2 body is slightly shorter than the TRAXX2MS body is a detail that I wouldn't consider too important, because even more prestigious manufacturers like Roco skip this detail on their H0(!) scale models.

I'm a big fan of modern day locomotives, and I can't understand, why Tillig brings such wonderfull models like the TRAXX2 or Siemens ES64-U4 (ÖBB-1216) (and in fact they basically are really good!), and then screws up everything by their... I don't know. Tillig is Tillig and will always be Tillig.
If they go down (and they economical situation isn't the best), I'm afraid, nobody will take over their stuff, because even in the good models the new one has to invest a lot to make them equal to today's possibilities - not to speak from effronteries like the passenger cars or the V200, which is newly developed model quality of the late 1980s/early 1990s sold at a 2013 price level.
Dibbedabb

Return to Tillig TT Scale Models