Tillig 02343 DBAG BR 143 Verkehrsrot

Tillig 02343 DBAG BR 143 Verkehrsrot

Postby Rich B » Wed May 16, 2012 11:14 am

Key to a great many German layouts is the ubiquitous BR 143. Frustratingly, given their epidemic nature in the DBAG scene, Verkerhrsrot models are hard to come by. I snapped this up a couple of weeks ago from a Hungarian dealer.

2012-05-17 001.JPG

I very much like the prototype, and looking at the model something didn't seem right. I quickly realised that the culprit is the windscreen, which is too shallow- the rainstrip should extend just above the height of the angle at roof height, but on the model it's below- with the aid of callipers, I make it 0.71mm below. Guessing at it being about 0.9mm out from photos, that's about a scale four inches out. Other than this, the shape of the cab seems about right. Perhaps the light surrounds could be slightly more prominent.

2012-05-17 002.JPG

Looking face on confirms this view. The rainstrip above the windscreens should also be silver. Note also that the cab roof should be red, not the grey Tillig have used. If I'm being really pedantic the windscreen wipers on a loco of this age should rest at the sides of the screen rather than at the bottom, to keep the (unmodelled) destination screen clear. The exception to this is 114 501 (formerly 755 025, 112 025). As an aside, the cab design of 143s changed after 143 298, to a less angular design. This model correctly has the earlier, angular cab.

2012-05-17 003.JPG

The roof details look good overall, missing only a few small links of the electrical bars, notably at the pantograph base. The pantographs themselves are the correct type for Ep. V, although the head lacks some cross-members. This is presumably to allow the clip to hold it down more effectively. The base is likewise simplified to accommodate the springs. The pans have smooth, free movement, and the circuit board has a slider should you wish to adopt overhead pickup. While on the subject of the circuit board, it has a break off section to allow a six pin decoder to be fitted. The underframe is good, although the detail between the bogies is pretty shallow. The bogies themselves are very nice, in spite of being a one piece moulding. Some steps are missing from the cab ends, but this seems a minor omission. Pipes, handrails and grab handles are for the modeller to fit. The coupling is not in a NEM pocket, but more recent releases appear to come with the close coupling.

2012-05-17 004.JPG

Overall, I think it's a good looking model, although the windscreens are a significant let down. I shouldn't be too picky, the model dates back to 1996, but nevertheless Roco's H0 model with two years more behind it is noticably more accurate.
Last edited by Rich B on Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich B

Re: Tillig 02343 DBAG BR 143 Verkehrsrot

Postby Rich B » Wed May 16, 2012 1:18 pm

I forgot to add, the cabside windows are rather too recessed- the glazing is the weak point in this model. One for Kühn to tackle?
Rich B

Postby Christtking » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:09 am

In real life is this loco supposed to have rectangular buffers or round? I think the model has the wrong buffers.
Christtking

Postby j p » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:52 am

Christtking wrote:In real life is this loco supposed to have rectangular buffers or round? I think the model has the wrong buffers.

This is Tillig. Such details as buffer shape is something below their detail recognition level. (See all those NOHABs with missing front doors :doh: or those many other models which were actually made more or less correctly according the prototype, but then sold under wrong name and/or railway)
95% of their customers would not find out anyway.

Edit: OK, they have it correct in this case. My appology.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
j p

Postby jpachl » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:41 pm

Christtking wrote:In real life is this loco supposed to have rectangular buffers or round? I think the model has the wrong buffers.

The BR 143 still has round buffers today. Here a current picture of the prototype of 143 112:

http://www.br143.de/images/basic/lew_18488_58.jpg

Joern
jpachl

Postby Christtking » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:59 pm

When I was in Berlin in May 2002, I swear I saw el. BR 143 112 having rectangular buffers,and also I saw BR 234 304 mint green also had rectangular buffers and raised Siemens type exausts. I guess the only explanation is that the buffers need maintenance (the springs wear out?) and the shop where they are maintained sometimes do not have the same buffers at that time.
Christtking

Postby LVG1 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:29 pm

Series 143 locomotive with rectangular buffers are an exception. Round buffers are standard.

Christtking wrote:I guess the only explanation is that the buffers need maintenance (the springs wear out?) and the shop where they are maintained sometimes do not have the same buffers at that time.

In Germany for every type of locomotive there's a clearly defined shop which is responsible for larger repairs. So all spare parts are stored there. Changes of such parts out of shortness of spare parts don't occur here. Every change of parts is decided by the locomotive's owner.

"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Return to Tillig TT Scale Models