Tie Strips

Tie Strips

Postby DKRickman » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:34 pm

I was asked about creating some tie strips for hand laying track, similar to the Central Valley ties in HO. So, I drew them up. See for yourself:https://www.shapeways.com/model/1756399/tt-scale-main-line-ties-12-quot-strip.html

The strip is 12" long, and has (scale) 9"x7"x9' ties on 20" centers. Holes (if they print) are provided for spikes, and the strip is designed to interlock with another to maintain consistent spacing. Having the connector in the center will make it easier to lay the ties to follow a drawn center line, and will allow individual ties to be glued down slightly misaligned. The ends of the ties are staggered a little, to break up the too-perfect look of some track. The tie plates are designed to accept Micro Engineering code 70 rails. Code 83 should fit as well, but a little adjustment may be needed.

I also made a 1" long test piece:https://www.shapeways.com/model/1756287/tt-scale-main-line-ties-1-quot-strip.html

These are untested, though Shapeways says they should print fine. They're not cheap, I admit, but hopefully somebody will like the way they look. I am not making anything off these, so the cost is all Shapeways. If anyone has any comments, suggestions, or requests, I'll be happy to hear them.
Trying something different, using 3D printing to make better models.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Re: Tie Strips

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:22 am

I think this is great however there is a problem to overcome. The WSF material will not print the wood detail. Also it probably will not get the holes :(

Having said that, if you can do a version that just needs rail slid through it, I'll give it a shot. I have a length of Atlas code 80 N scale rail that I want to try out for TT.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby DKRickman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:51 pm

Thanks, Alex. I have some concerns about the wood grain, and to be honest I'd rather leave it off. I thought people might want it, though, so I put it there. It would definitely make the file a lot smaller to eliminate it! As for the holes, they might print. I've printed holes for 00-90 screws in 1mm thick material, and all I had to do was run a tap through them. These are smaller, but possibly not too small to print. A test would be needed.

When you say you want a version that just needs the rails slid through, are you asking for something resembling flex track, where the plastic spikes hold the rail? Or would you like something with little or no spike detail, to which the rail would have to be glued? I'm for glue, as I think it looks better.
Trying something different, using 3D printing to make better models.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:37 pm

Nice to see new TT ideas. How do these compare to getting Tillig tie strips and adding one's own rail? From appearance and cost viewpoint? .......DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby j p » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:35 pm

Bernd wrote:
ctxmf74 wrote:Nice to see new TT ideas. How do these compare to getting Tillig tie strips and adding one's own rail? From appearance and cost viewpoint? .......DaveB

Well let's see how Ken's design stands up next to Tillig. Tillig sells a piece of 6.5" track for $2.55. Ken's ties for 12" is $7.38. Ken's ties will hold code 70, can be changed to smaller code if needed. How fast can you get Tillig, assuming it's in stock, to deliver if they have none in stock and what code is it. I didn't see it printed at Reynauld's Euro Imports. Ken's ties can be ordered any time and at your door steps with in a few days. Yes you also need to buy rail. But just think how fast you can get Ken's product. It's always in stock. The rail is another matter. Oh, forgot, you want RTR. Well it looks like TT has to start somewhere again and kit building may be the answer for now.

Got a better idea? I'd like to here about it. Perhaps I should get a laser and laser cut tie material. I'm open to donations for a laser. :wave: :grin:

Bernd

Tillig is code 83 and can hold Peco rail code 70.
I have considered buying a laser. That would end up most likely in making stuff only for my use. The number of TT scale customers is somehow limited :doh:
j p

Postby ctxmf74 » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:17 pm

"I have considered buying a laser. That would end up most likely in making stuff only for my use. The number of TT scale customers is somehow limited"

I think if you had a laser and made the right products you could sell all the TT stuff you could make. Everything TT scale I see for sale gets sold right away for prices higher than the corresponding HO scale products. I'm not interested in becoming a TT supplier but if I was I'd probably try to contract for Micro Engineering to make flextrack similar to Protocraft's P 48 product which was what P 48 needed.. ....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby j p » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:33 pm

Yes, it is large. Many European manufacturers get a good part of their income from toy trains. Therefore, they made large flanges and corresponding track. The flanges are slightly better now, Tillig rails remain the same.
It is possible to run TT scale on code 60 rails - even with the European flanges. Tillig ties would not hold code 60 rails though.

Funny thing is that whenever I mentioned large flanges, rails, Shinkansen speed, or small curve radii on European boards, I got flamed :lol:

"readily available" depends on the definition. I had to wait for Filligran track for 2 months. No problem with that. Maybe it is because I remember the 'old way'? Trying to buy TT models and track from the shops when visiting Germany. There was not much to choose from there either when in the Western part of Germany. It is much easier now with internet.
j p

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:05 pm

DKRickman wrote:When you say you want a version that just needs the rails slid through, are you asking for something resembling flex track, where the plastic spikes hold the rail? Or would you like something with little or no spike detail, to which the rail would have to be glued? I'm for glue, as I think it looks better.

Resembling flex track. Just slide it through.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:07 pm

Bernd wrote:Do you think that more availability of TT scale items would bring in more TT scale modelers?

I don't see another way.

Bernd wrote:I believe there is good opportunity for a cottage industry in TT scale.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:13 pm

j p wrote:Funny thing is that whenever I mentioned large flanges, rails, Shinkansen speed, or small curve radii on European boards, I got flamed :lol:

It's such a strange thing. I have a German friend and we talk about model trains all the time. I keep asking about "FAR from prototype" things and the reputation of German engineering and he just says "Germans are happy with it".

j p wrote:"readily available" depends on the definition. I had to wait for Filligran track for 2 months. No problem with that. Maybe it is because I remember the 'old way'?

It IS because of the "old way".
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Discussion