Tie Strips

Re: Tie Strips

Postby Bill Dixon » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:09 pm

Bill Dixon wrote:These look interesting. Given the problems I am having laying track these might be a solution.
I have ordered a few to try out. I expect that they will hold code 55 or 60 rail with a bit of glue.

They arrived this week . . . in a small box. Seems the 12" strips are flexible enough to fit in a 5" square box if they are folded like a Breast Cancer ribbon. I think they will settle down if left flat for a while.

They look pretty good. Can't clearly see all the detail but I can see ties plates and such. A light coat of paint will bring out the detail. The ties are thinner than I like but that was done to cut down the Shapeways cost.
I know what module three of them will be used on when I get around to building it.

I won't buy any more though. They were expensive to start with, then Shapeways added their shipping charges, and then the Canadian dollar dumped and then Canada customs decided they wanted a cut too! Four strips ended up at close to double the original cost. They would be cheaper if I purchased a lot more but not that much cheaper.

They have however given me an idea.

If I make my own master with thicker ties I could cast them in resin.
I bounced this idea off my caster friend yesterday and he didn't see any problems with it. Because it would be an open top mold I would probably have a thin layer of flash between each tie. That will not be an issue with straight track. It would take a bit of work with a knife to cut it out for curved track or perhaps I could make curved track pieces as well.

I think a master made out of Sytrene strips glued to a Styrene base would work but I am not sure yet how to properly place all the tie plates to hold the rail. That would be the most difficult job. And then of course there is the question of what size rail.

Cast tie bases for my Fast Tracks turnouts would speed up the final turnout assembly process.
I wonder if you can colour casting resin before pouring it? A cast product that was already dark gray or brown would be easier to paint.

This is definitely an idea worth pursuing.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby areibel » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:35 pm

Hi Bill,
Bernd is right, tinting resin is pretty easy. Some take tint better than others but the ones from Micromark will work. Eager Polymers http://www.eagerplastics.com/ has them in 2 oz bottles for about $15 and that will do a whole bunch of plastic. And
I think Smooth on does as well.
I wonder if you could get real creative and cast the rails right into the mold and do it as one piece?
areibel

Postby DKRickman » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:43 am

I think a master made out of Sytrene strips glued to a Styrene base would work but I am not sure yet how to properly place all the tie plates to hold the rail. That would be the most difficult job. And then of course there is the question of what size rail.

Why not use the Shapeways print as the master? Make one straight, make another curved, etc. That should take care of the tie plate issue.
Trying something different, using 3D printing to make better models.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:59 pm

areibel wrote:Hi Bill,
Bernd is right, tinting resin is pretty easy. Some take tint better than others but the ones from Micromark will work. Eager Polymers http://www.eagerplastics.com/ has them in 2 oz bottles for about $15 and that will do a whole bunch of plastic. And
I think Smooth on does as well.
I wonder if you could get real creative and cast the rails right into the mold and do it as one piece?

In theory you could make a mold that held the rail properly with the spikes molded.
I practice I think there are two issues.

One is getting the resin into all the little spike heads. In commercial plastic ties strips they inject the plastic under pressure into the mold to fill all the little details.

The second is although the mold material is very flexible I am not sure if you could remove the casting with the rails without ripping the rail out the cast ties strips and destroying the spike heads.

Something more to think about. It might work with Peco Code 55 rail with the dual base.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:02 pm

DKRickman wrote:

Why not use the Shapeways print as the master? Make one straight, make another curved, etc. That should take care of the tie plate issue.

That would probably work but that would involve using/pirating someone else's work and I would not do that without permission.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby DKRickman » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:06 pm

Well, since it's my work, I figure I have the right to give you permission to use it. You're welcome to use my design as a master to cast resin ties, either for yourself or others, privately or commercially, as you see fit. There's not enough money in it to make it worth being stingy, and I'm happy to try to help the community in any way I can.

Of course, if you somehow manage to get rich off this, I wouldn't mind a steak dinner or something!
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:17 pm

DKRickman wrote:Well, since it's my work, I figure I have the right to give you permission to use it. You're welcome to use my design as a master to cast resin ties, either for yourself or others, privately or commercially, as you see fit. There's not enough money in it to make it worth being stingy, and I'm happy to try to help the community in any way I can.

Thank you. I will see what I come up with.

DKRickman wrote:Of course, if you somehow manage to get rich off this, I wouldn't mind a steak dinner or something!

At the very least a cold beer if we ever meet. Given that you are on the Least coast and I am on the Wet coast that is unlikely.

Still my wife is making noises about going to the NMRA National in Orlando in 2017 so you never know. That will be a long $$ irritating flight or a very long drive. I would prefer to drive as it would allow for touristy stops along the way and I don't mind long distance driving.
Or perhaps Amtrak.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby DKRickman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:50 am

At the very least a cold beer if we ever meet.

It's a deal, then. Get in touch if you ever get out this way. I'll buy a round as well.

Or perhaps Amtrak.

hat's my preferred means of travel, when I have the time & money. One of the things I love about my wife is that she also loves to take the train wherever we can. In fact, our vacation plans are sometimes strongly influenced by where Amtrak runs.

Here are a couple thoughts about the tie strips:
-You mentioned the ties being thin. I designed them to be hollow, to save material (and thus cost), but they are to scale externally - 7"x9". I've spent a lot of time looking at prototype track in my career, and one of the things I've noticed is that you VERY rarely see more than the top 1" of a tie. We could save a lot of ballast if we made our model ties as thin as possible in most cases.

-I believe there are flexible resins. If you cast some strips in that, then you'd retain the flexibility of the original design, and not have to pick a single radius.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Previous

Return to General Discussion