Tie Strips

Re: Tie Strips

Postby CSD » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:15 pm

Ken, have you considered making concrete profile ties? The WSF material would have the right kind of texture for that, perhaps.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:44 am

"You'd probably be better off making your own and be further ahead than waiting for them to manufacture track"

I said if I wanted to become a TT supplier, not if I want a few dozen pieces as a private modeler. They are track experts and have made track for resellers in the past. They are also the cheapest high quality flextrack on the market these days so I doubt an inexperienced individual could make track in retail sufficient quantities cheaper than hiring Micro Engineering to do it for them? It's much like Peterson Supply having custom runs done by Atlas, MTH, and Athearn instead of building their own factory and doing it themselves.....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby Bill Dixon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:26 am

DKRickman wrote:I was asked about creating some tie strips for hand laying track, similar to the Central Valley ties in HO. So, I drew them up. See for yourself:https://www.shapeways.com/model/1756399/tt-scale-main-line-ties-12-quot-strip.html

The strip is 12" long, and has (scale) 9"x7"x9' ties on 20" centers. Holes (if they print) are provided for spikes, and the strip is designed to interlock with another to maintain consistent spacing. Having the connector in the center will make it easier to lay the ties to follow a drawn center line, and will allow individual ties to be glued down slightly misaligned. The ends of the ties are staggered a little, to break up the too-perfect look of some track. The tie plates are designed to accept Micro Engineering code 70 rails. Code 83 should fit as well, but a little adjustment may be needed.

These are untested, though Shapeways says they should print fine. They're not cheap, I admit, but hopefully somebody will like the way they look. I am not making anything off these, so the cost is all Shapeways. If anyone has any comments, suggestions, or requests, I'll be happy to hear them.

These look interesting. Given the problems I am having laying track these might be a solution.
I have ordered a few to try out. I expect that they will hold code 55 or 60 rail with a bit of glue.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby DKRickman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:14 am

I look forward to seeing how they turn out for you, Bill. Please share some photos when you get them, if you don't mind.

I am thinking of taking Alex's advice and removing the wood grain, so that's one of the things I'd like to know - does it show on the final product?
Trying something different, using 3D printing to make better models.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby DKRickman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:19 pm

CSD wrote:Ken, have you considered making concrete profile ties?

Yes I have. I just don't know the right dimensions for concrete ties, but if I did it would be easy enough to offer them.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby ctxmf74 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:54 pm

"What's your opinion on "limited run" quantities? I always here that's a sticky point with some modelers.'

I don't like pre ordering or limited runs as the only option but Peterson is an addition to the normal production so is quite valuable to those who need specific low interest paint schemes. Common models and paint schemes are better when produced in quantities that can supply anyone who might be interested, it's a turn off to prospective modelers to hear that something they would like was made once but now they have to search the world for it and pay some collector big bucks if they want one....DaveB
ctxmf74

New Versions

Postby DKRickman » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:04 pm

It took me long enough, but I finally got a couple new versions of the tie strips drawn and uploaded. I did a 12" version, and a 36" long version. They're a little cheaper, but still not ideal. $16 for 3' of ties seems high to me, but I don't see any way to reduce the price significantly. I already made the ties thinner in the middle to use less material, but there's only so far you can go.
https://www.shapeways.com/model/1805495/tt-ties.html
https://www.shapeways.com/model/1805518/tt-ties-3x.html
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:39 am

The price isn't bad at all. But I'm still waiting on the version with the built in tie plates/spikes ;)
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby DKRickman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:14 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I'm still waiting on the version with the built in tie plates/spikes

Sorry, I completely forgot about that one. I'll see what I can do over the next few days. I'm trying to dig myself out of a pile of projects, model RR and otherwise, after the weather and work put everything else on hold.
My Shapeways Shop
DKRickman

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:57 pm

Not a problem, I'm in no hurry.....I have plenty of projects myself.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion