This is incredible

Post your photos and video links here

This is incredible

Postby jmass » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:44 pm

jmass

Re: This is incredible

Postby AstroGoat760 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:16 pm

I see your Miracle on the Hudson, and I raise you one Pan Am flight 6.

I personally feel that Flight 6 was more of a miracle than flight 1549, for the following reasons:
1.) Flight 1549 benefited from information learned from Flight 6 and other ditching incidents.
2.) Navigation and rescue technology was far more primitive in 1956.
3.) Flight 6 ditched in open ocean, roughly halfway between Hawaii and California, flight 1549 landed in a relatively calm river.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:18 am

I think they're equal - flight 6 had a ship and plenty of time to coordinate with the ship. Flight 1549 ditched between various boats and rescue personnel available from the city.

6 is cool because because it happened on birthday (20 years earlier) but I watched 1549 happening so I'm "closer" to it.

Major kudos to both pilots!!!!

P.S.

Capt. "Sully" is the effing man!!!!!!!! If I'm ever filthy rich he can name his price to be my private pilot.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby railtwister » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:16 pm

I don't think you say that either one of these instances was anything short of a miracle. Pan Am flight 6 had the advantage of being able to maintain the flight for several hours after losing the two engines, which gave the crew plenty of time to prepare, and probably also had better control over the aircraft, since two of the four engines were still functioning. They also had the advantage of carrying a lot less passengers than 1549 had (31 vs 150), but they had the disadvantage of having the fuselage break in two during the landing. The crew of flight 1549 had very little time to prepare, and with no engines at all, they had to get it right the first time, without being able to adjust the speed. Thank God they were able to use the APU, which gave them power to run the controls, since the Airbus has no direct linkage to the control surfaces. Also thank God for the rescue vessels that were available for both incidents.

I just finished reading Captain Sullenberger's book "Highest Duty", in which he tells the story of his flying career, up to and including flight 1549. He also mentions Pan Am 6 in some detail, as well as some other ditching incidents whose outcomes were not as successful. I am not a frequent book reader, but this book held my interest better than most, and I read it from cover to cover. If you are an aviation fan, I recommend it highly.

Bill in FL
railtwister

Return to Photos / Videos