This guy is so cool.

Talk about anything and everything!

This guy is so cool.

Postby ConducTTor » Tue May 05, 2015 5:45 pm

Starting Paypal, making kick Haggis cars, sending stuff into space, and now making batteries sexy and saving the world. Musk is the man.

Enjoy.

What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: This guy is so cool.

Postby LVG1 » Sat May 09, 2015 11:09 am

The sheer endless opening speech before he came to the point was quite a bit boring.
May be, it's because I'm employed in the wind power business and know all these facts, however.

I'm not sure if I only missed it; but I think, he forgot to mention the most important fact. There is no absolutely environmentally friendly way of producing electricity. There's only a "lesser evil". So, the most environmentally friendly way of handling energy is to save it.
By the way, in North America, about double as much energy is consumed per person as in Central Europe. And people in Europe do not live with less comfort than Americans...
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby j p » Sat May 09, 2015 11:20 am

LVG1 wrote: There is no absolutely environmentally friendly way of producing electricity.

I don't agree with that. Electric eel can produce 100% environmentally friendly electricity. :grin:
j p

Postby ConducTTor » Sat May 09, 2015 1:24 pm

LVG1 wrote:By the way, in North America, about double as much energy is consumed per person as in Central Europe. And people in Europe do not live with less comfort than Americans...

I imagine it's because our homes are bigger (so more lights, more to cool, more to heat, etc.) and our cars/trucks are bigger. Also we have almost no mass transit. Hell, we barely have sidewalks - you have to drive to go just 1km.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Sat May 09, 2015 1:28 pm

Bigger homes = more space for TT layout.
j p

Postby ConducTTor » Sat May 09, 2015 1:31 pm

Yes! :)
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Sat May 09, 2015 4:30 pm

I guess we do know where you stand. However, I thought we were all friends here so I see no reason to $hit on those who have a different point of view.

There are many other ways you could have said what you said.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Sat May 09, 2015 10:56 pm

The difference is I don't piss on your opinions. While you did on mine and found a few colorful things to call me. I don't sugar coat either. But for the sake of peace on this website which is devoted to a hobby, I attempt to treat everyone with respect regardless of their views.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby LVG1 » Sun May 10, 2015 7:51 am

j p wrote:
LVG1 wrote: There is no absolutely environmentally friendly way of producing electricity.

I don't agree with that. Electric eel can produce 100% environmentally friendly electricity. :grin:

Err... :thinking:
Yes, you're absolutely right! :oops:
But why do you go so far? Just think of your own nervous system. It also works electrically. :idea:

I think, I should reformulate my statement. Please, give me some time to do so... :wink:

ConducTTor wrote:
LVG1 wrote:By the way, in North America, about double as much energy is consumed per person as in Central Europe. And people in Europe do not live with less comfort than Americans...

I imagine it's because our homes are bigger (so more lights, more to cool, more to heat, etc.) and our cars/trucks are bigger. Also we have almost no mass transit. Hell, we barely have sidewalks - you have to drive to go just 1km.

our homes are bigger (so more lights, more to cool, more to heat, etc.)

I'm not sure whether American homes are really bigger. But even if so, this point doesn't make up for so much of a difference.

In Europe, there are some stereotypes about North America. I don't know if they're true. But if so, they could be an explanation.
  • One of these stereotypes says that most Americans tend to switch on the light and leave it this way for the entire evening while most Europeans rather tend to switch off the light whenever they leave a room.
  • Another stereotype says that the thermal insulation of an average North American house is clearly worse than of an average European house.
As I said, I don't know if these stereotypes are true. But I think, they are worth consideration...

our cars/trucks are bigger

Yes, unnecessarily big...
(...though I have to confess that I also like large cars... :oops: :shh: )

we have almost no mass transit

True. :(
But as far as I know, mass transit is currently booming in North America. That's a very pleasant trend! :thumbup:

Bernd wrote:Besides the US land mass is a bit bigger than Europes
http://goeurope.about.com/od/europeanmaps/l/bl-country-size-comparison-map.htm

This case doesn't work! :naughty:
Current research proves, people accept almost the same amount of time for "being on the move" all over the world. Larger distances are accepted less frequently. So, people spent the same time (and similar distances) driving / travelling during a given period of time.
It's faster connections making people travel over larger distances, not the distances themselves... :!:

Bernd wrote:I have three vehicles, one boat and two jet skis. Guess how much gas they use and I don't care.

... :evil:

Bernd wrote:Solar power and wind power is a wet dream.

In Germany, solar, wind and water power make up for 25 % of the entire electricity production!
Let alone my employer's sister company—their wind power production covers the consumption of about 1.3 million people. (And it's by far not the largest German operator of wind farms.)
I think, that's quite a bit more than just a "wet dream"...

Bernd wrote:All because the green weenies wanted to get rid of coal fired power plants.
All these alternative power ideas gives people with a guilty conscious a warm fuzzy feeling that they are saving Mother Gaia.

We all are products of "Mother Gaia".
And research knows only a tiny smidgen about the question how much we still depend on the nature. But even this tiny smidgen shows that destroying the nature would be next to humankind's suicide.
I don't remember the author, but I fully agree with the statement:
"We have not inherited the world from our parents and grandparents. We have borrowed it from our children and grandchildren. And we are all going to eventually hand it back."
I'm willing to leave the world in a condition which my progeny can comfortably live with. (... including that I don't want my home region to disappear in favour of lignite mining!!!)
If you don't think so, it's okay for me. But don't judge people who love their next of kin!!! :evil:

Bernd wrote:Ask the people in England that died one winter because they froze to death since there wasn't any wind to generate power.
It takes more power to make a solar cell, plus all the toxic chemicals. And what is Mr. Cool going to do with his batteries once they are wore out. Bury them in your back yard?

Like I already tried to say, nothing is perfect. There's only a "lesser evil". And that's the way to go, in my eyes...

Live is change!
Things are going on. So they're changing continuously. You can come to terms with these changes. Of course, you don't have to!
Dinosaurs died out, because they didn't...
Last edited by LVG1 on Sun May 10, 2015 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

Postby LVG1 » Sun May 10, 2015 8:19 am

Bernd wrote:Unfortunately Alex you took it personal.

Not only Alex...
"Let's eat, grandpa."
LVG1

Next

Return to Off Topic