Is there a market for US TT?

Re: Is there a market for US TT?

Postby j p » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:26 am

GP40 not for me (too new), but my son could use GP40-2 (CSX).
j p

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:40 pm

"Making yet another GP 38-2".

How many people actually have one? How many current and NEW people would buy one (or more) if it was available as RTR?

I'm not necessarily fighting for this model in particular. I'm saying the proper questions have to be answered in order to make the right decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:17 pm

ConducTTor wrote:"Making yet another GP 38-2".

How many people actually have one? How many current and NEW people would buy one (or more) if it was available as RTR?

I have one GP 38-2 kit, and if given desirable roadnames for options, or even more kits, I would likely have 4-6 more of them at this time, considering that I have 8 of the SW1200s, and would love to have more diesel-electric North American motive power.

Also, if the price point is right ($200-350 per unit), I could see having up to 12 in relatively short order.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:13 pm

I have a couple of gp 38-2 bodies. Would buy 4 or 5 RTR units for sure. Probably more (I bought 10 sw1200s).

It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:10 pm

ConducTTor wrote:I have a couple of gp 38-2 bodies. Would buy 4 or 5 RTR units for sure. Probably more (I bought 10 sw1200s).

Please compare it to another model :)
How would it look like if it was GP40 instead?

I would probably buy some too, but I have got 2 GP38s already, so I would buy less than if it was something I haven't got yet. It depends also on the quality of the RTR model and the paint schemes.
j p

Is there a market for US TT?

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:33 pm

I was giving an example. I'd be fine with a geep 40 as well.

As for quality, we know what MTB does. It's not a mystery.

And yes, certain paint will sell better than others. Obviously well know RRs are better than obscure ones.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby areibel » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:30 pm

The Society sol just over 50 GP38-2's, that was just the shell and etch set.
Now that was just one version, there are several differences in the front anti climbers, air filter box, dynamic brakes,etc so it wouldn't be hard to do a different version, we just picked a common one.
The original GP and the Dash 2's are very close. There is a small sight glass opening on the side of the hood on the Dash2 that isn't there on the original, so filling that and a small change to the cab roof backdates it. The GP39 and 40 are the same way, the 39 is pretty much the same as the 38 but the exhaust on the roof is different and the 40 has an extra radiator fan. All of them share the same chassis with only minor differences in the trucks depending on the year built. And I think the later GP's (49, 50 and 60) had the same truck spacing, I'd have to check. So the same chassis would work for several models, and if the manufacturer uses a multi part mold that could change the inserts for the roof or sides it wouldn't take a ton of tooling to do them. Add the Canadian wide cabs and there are more possibilities.
Just food for thought!
areibel

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:26 pm

One thing I'm certain of is, whatever model is chosen should be a mainline or road switcher. Something that can be used for the end of the transition era. It must have been available in large numbers for many railroads. I believe these criteria will ensure maximum number of units sold.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CFRiad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:29 pm

ConducTTor wrote:"Making yet another GP 38-2".

I have none, and would buy 4-5 RTRs in Canadian (CN and CP) livery. Keep in mind that both CN and CP also had narrow cab units.
Last edited by CFRiad on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:30 pm

ConducTTor wrote:One thing I'm certain of is, whatever model is chosen should be a mainline or road switcher. Something that can be used for the end of the transition era. It must have been available in large numbers for many railroads. I believe these criteria will ensure maximum number of units sold.

As he said... Totally agree.
CFRiad

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion