Is there a market for US TT?

Re: Is there a market for US TT?

Postby RodTT » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:15 pm

CFRiad wrote:
j p wrote:Get some more engines for your trains :)
Alco FA + FB + FA or EMD F3-A, B, A should be OK for longer trains. 2x GP-38 should be also OK. Alco PA for a passenger train. Dash 9 for modern freight trains. All those are available / or were available recently.

As previously discussed in this thread, I am not good at assembling and painting kits, nor am I rich, so a RTR road loco at about $200 to $250 is for me.

The question here was what should MTB’s next North American project be, and I suggested a GP.

And I agree. I'd love to know where there's a RTR GP-38 available right now.
RodTT

Postby jmass » Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:43 pm

Lok @ rol had some gp 38s but have since sold out. I don't know if they have intentions on making any more although I hope they do. For me a ready to run sd 40 would be huge and I know Art and Detail might have kits but I am also not a builder in any sence of the word.
jmass

Is there a market for US TT?

Postby ConducTTor » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:38 pm

The next loco project should be a model that spans multiple eras, was made in huge numbers and, was used by many (most?) railways.

It would also help to know truck and wheel sizes of what's currently available from MTB's other loco models that can be used on NA prototypes. That has huge implications on development and manufacturing costs and can make the decision between multiple possibilities (that match the above paragraph criteria) much easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bill Dixon » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:49 pm

ConducTTor wrote:The next loco project should be a model that spans multiple eras, was made in huge numbers and, was used by many (most?) railways.

It would also help to know truck and wheel sizes of what's currently available from MTB's other loco models that can be used on NA prototypes. That has huge implications on development and manufacturing costs and can make the decision between multiple possibilities (that match the above paragraph criteria) much easier.

So what type of locomotive?

Switchers
We have a good switcher in the SW900/1200.
The only other obvious choice is the Alco S1/2/3/4. One chassis, two different side frames, two different body shells.
Probably not a first choice model.

Four axle units.
One chassis would work for a GP or an F Unit. I know we have the Lionel shells but to be realistic they are crap.

A more modern choice is the GP38-2. Still in use today. I am not sure what the differences between a GP38, GP38AC or GP38-2 are but they might be covered with a conversion kit.

The only obvious non EMD choice is the Alco RS3. It was widely used and is popular with modellers.

Six axle units.
Only one choice - SD40-2. Built in the thousands, used by almost every major railroad. There were many detail variations but one basic model with after market upgrade kits would cover many variations.

For modern locomotives, some variant of C44-9w, AC4400, ES...

To choose what model to make you also have to consider what equipment is available to run behind the locomotive. No point in having the latest ESwhatever if all you have to run behind it is 50's era box cars.

I'm in for a fleet of any of the four axle units. Would go for a SD40-2 if the cars were available (at a reasonable price) to run behind it - grain cars, or coal gondolas.
Regards
Bill Dixon
TT-Tracks
North Vancouver, BC
Bill Dixon

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:22 pm

I am not sure if I am a good source for opinion on N/A TT motive power, as my tastes are very much in wide variation and with the slant towards the "odd and ugly".

That said, I would be fully in favour of the SD-40-2 in TT Scale, as some six axle N/A motive power would be awfully sweet!
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby krokodil » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:37 pm

The US 6 axle diesels are very long in comparison to European motive power. The closest available model is the Mehano's Blue Tiger in TT. That means for the manufacturers they need to develope a complete new chassis with corresponding wheel basis and bogie distances just for the US market.
I do not know who is now the owner of Mehano, but they have experiences with US models - long time produced for different US brands in H0 diesel and steam engines...
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby CFRiad » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:50 am

Synthesis:
Bill Dixon wrote:So what type of locomotive?
  1. Switchers: Alco S1/2/3/4. Probably not a first choice model.
  2. Four axle units:
    • One chassis would work for a GP or an F Unit.
    • A more modern choice is the GP38-2.
    • The only obvious non EMD choice is the Alco RS3.
  3. Six axle units: Only one choice - SD40-2.
  4. For modern locomotives, some variant of C44-9w, AC4400, ES... No point in having the latest ESwhatever if all you have to run behind it is 50's era box cars.

Hear, hear.
Bill Dixon wrote:I'm in for a fleet of any of the four axle units.

Rome wasn't built in a day. If we get the loco, cars will follow. By NTS-2024 (post-Birmingham) we could have some, I hope. I am looking at you Richard...
Bill Dixon wrote:Would go for a SD40-2 if the cars were available (at a reasonable price) to run behind it - grain cars, or coal gondolas.
Last edited by CFRiad on Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
CFRiad

Postby ConducTTor » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:58 am

As for type, we have a switcher. I would go for a mainline 4 axle unit (lower model cost?).

Something everyone would buy like an F unit or a geep.

My website: http://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:49 am

One general comment:
Choosing a prototype for the TT scale model which is/was available recently is reducing the size of the market for the manufacturer. It does make a difference for the manufacturer if the market potential is 400 instead of 500. Therefore, I would not recommend making yet another Alco RS3 or GP-38. That is something MTB learned the hard way when making their "Goggles" - competing with "Goggles" made by Roco and Kuehn.
Make something new in TT instead.

Regarding the chassis question: only the trucks are relevant, not the length of the locomotive - because a new metal frame has to be made anyway.

If you want a modern train with modern engine, you can get modern cars for it too. But the problem here is not the availability, but the price again, isn't it? A modern engine with a container train would look good, why not?
I would definitely not generalize this based on which cars you have to run behind it. Others may have only modern cars and nothing from the 50's - if their focus is the modern era.

I would prefer models which have not been available in TT yet - such as Baldwin RF-16 or FM H-24-66 Train Master.
j p

Postby AstroGoat760 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:46 am

How about the GP-40?
1920px-BNSF_3004_Lincoln,_NE_3-21-11.JPG

The GP-40 could be modified somewhat to the GP-40-2, and the chassis components somewhat modified to make a F40PH, thereby maximizing the proverbial "bang for the buck".
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion