Is there a market for US TT?

Re: Is there a market for US TT?

Postby RodTT » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:05 am

Yes, thanks, specific indeed and sounds like great fun I'm sure, but not the kind of length I want to go to to get a working loco!
RodTT

Postby WillYart » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:23 pm

j p wrote:
WillYart wrote:I really need a few of the flatcars, hopefully long enough to convert into a container flat. Thinking of making some MATSON containers to match the local intermodal operator here on the islands (Hawaii) that my son and I see all the time.

Would Maxi Stack work for your containers?

- Jan

wait are you selling those hopper cars and the high intermodal container cars (with 2 containers stacked? If so what's the cost and the height of the container cars when loaded? Best, Bill
WillYart

Postby MacG » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:47 pm

You can buy the Maxi-Stack I kit at Siggis-Modellbahn-Shop. The height depends on the height of the stacked containers.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Robert B » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:05 am

rdikken wrote:Dear US TT fans,

With the SW1200 coming to the end of the sales cycle, it is time to think about a successor(s), but more important is there a market for it. There were about 500 SW1200 sold, barely enough to cover the costs. The main part was sold in Europe.

If MTB makes a successor, it will be bigger than the SW1200. To make the costs as low as possible, MTB could use parts of the SW1200. Anyway he will need 2 or 3 molds for the house and he will need a new metal frame. Motor, gear, trucks, pcb and couplings are available. More molds and a bigger metal frame will raise the costs, to cover it MTB needs to sell perhaps 700 or 800pcs against a higher price. The sales price could be 160€ or more.

But does it sell enough? Is there a market in the US and Canada?

It is my feeling that there is a market but only if you offer enough RTR models with 4 or 5 locomotives and some rails. There are enough n-users and H0-users willing to go to TT if there is total package.

My question to you is, what can we do to enlarge the market, so that there will be successors of the SW1200 and more rolling stock? (See also the first pictures of the new 3-bay hopper of MTB at "Zeuke-TT, what's new?")

Kind regards,
Rob Dikken

Should the next locomotive from MTB be a NW2 switcher?
I think the frame, motor, gears, trucks, etc. could be reused to save cost.

compare,jpg.jpg

Should we have a poll to see if there is enough interest?

We need RTR products to build our market share.
I think this would be a positive step in the right direction.

Kind regards,
Robert Biersack
Robert B

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:02 am

I say that the NW-2 would be a good idea, and should the project go forward, that at least 4-6 orders from my group are to be expected.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CFRiad » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:33 am

I realize that most modellers have smaller switching layouts, but all trains being hauled by switchers on our TT-Tracks monster looks a bit ridiculous.

Therefore, let it be resolved that a road loco like a GP would me much more versatile (even its name suggests general appeal).
CFRiad

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:01 pm

Are there any road-switcher locos that use the same trucks as the SW1200?

That may be the best starting point if a road switcher is the next move.

I feel that a NW-2 project would be a good start, followed by a road switcher project in coming months/years. Being able to get some RTR ready ASAP is imperative, I feel at this point.

Rome was not built in a day, and ditto can be said about a RTR project in TT scale for motive power.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby RodTT » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:28 pm

I would much prefer a larger 4-axle loco like a GP-38 or a GP-40, even if it put the cost up a bit. In my view the NW-2 is too similar to the SW locos we've already had. The more variety there is, the more people will be attracted to the scale or (in my case) be encouraged to stick with it. I know it's largely a case of what can be done in practice but I can't see my interest in the scale lasting if I'm going to face the prospect of more or less the same type of loco again for the foreseeable future.

Having said which a decent compromise for me would be for someone to produce a RTR motor/chassis assembly in the next 2 or 3 months to fit one of the Shapeways GEEP shells.
RodTT

Postby j p » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:49 pm

CFRiad wrote:I realize that most modellers have smaller switching layouts, but all trains being hauled by switchers on our TT-Tracks monster looks a bit ridiculous.

Therefore, let it be resolved that a road loco like a GP would me much more versatile (even its name suggests general appeal).

Get some more engines for your trains :)
Alco FA + FB + FA or EMD F3-A, B, A should be OK for longer trains. 2x GP-38 should be also OK. Alco PA for a passenger train. Dash 9 for modern freight trains. All those are available / or were available recently.
j p

Postby CFRiad » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:12 pm

j p wrote:Get some more engines for your trains :)
Alco FA + FB + FA or EMD F3-A, B, A should be OK for longer trains. 2x GP-38 should be also OK. Alco PA for a passenger train. Dash 9 for modern freight trains. All those are available / or were available recently.

As previously discussed in this thread, I am not good at assembling and painting kits, nor am I rich, so a RTR road loco at about $200 to $250 is for me.

The question here was what should MTB’s next North American project be, and I suggested a GP.
CFRiad

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion