Is there a market for US TT?

Re: Is there a market for US TT?

Postby Bernd » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:13 am

Hi Al,

I have been casting in polyurethane now for about 35 years and I have a vacuum chamber that is around 29 inches of mercury in the old scale. Does everything I need to do at present.

I use a compressor from a refrigerator. One side will drawn a vacuum. Works quite well.

I also have a single shot injection moulding machine. I will start to learn one of the CAD programs next year when I return. Then I will be able to make simple modelling projects.

Still evaluating the ones I've found. I use Draftsight by Dassault Systèmes for 2D. It's free and does more than I need. Another program I also use Design Spark Mechanical a 3D cad program, also free. I've just started to learn this program.

I have my eyes on a small milling machine with CAD driven XYZ cutting. It is extremely accurate and should allow me to produce bits and pieces in brass so white metal casting can be accurately made off brass patterns or RP drawings.
Regards
Al

As for a CNC, I purchased a Sherline CNC Mill a while ago. Still haven't tried any 3D milling on it yet. I've done quite a bit of work on it in 2D cutting. Was working on a freelance caboose design. There was only one item that didn't follow what I had drawn, the ends of the caboose. The peaked roof, the machine didn't center the peak of the roof. Never was able to figure out why.

Right now the hobby is a stand still. Had my mother move in with us and I've got lots of house projects that need finishing up from a house building project I started almost 20 years ago. So modeling time is tight, and I have a lot of modeling projects I want to do.

Keep me in the loop as you progress with your journey. I'm highly interest to see how make out and the products you want to produce. Perhaps I can even help out if you need extra help.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby WillYart » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:17 pm

I really need a few of the flatcars, hopefully long enough to convert into a container flat. Thinking of making some MATSON containers to match the local intermodal operator here on the islands (Hawaii) that my son and I see all the time.
WillYart

Postby Arseny » Fri Nov 23, 2018 2:11 am

As concerns flatcars, consider flatcars from Lok-n-Roll:
https://www.lok-n-roll.de/produkt-kateg ... 308c5d0596

Or you can try Russian flatcars made by Peresvet - they are similar enough to the American ones
Arseny

Postby j p » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:34 am

WillYart wrote:I really need a few of the flatcars, hopefully long enough to convert into a container flat. Thinking of making some MATSON containers to match the local intermodal operator here on the islands (Hawaii) that my son and I see all the time.

Would Maxi Stack work for your containers?

- Jan
j p

Postby WillYart » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:59 pm

Thanks for the responses. I like it all... the Peresvet may do just fine for now on a student budget. They do look close enough to what I'm used to seeing.
WillYart

Postby DrCodeWizzard » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:47 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm relatively new to TT, as well as this forum. As a matter of fact I am switching from N to TT at the moment (though with more of a European bend to it). In the past I have designed several STL models of PRR rolling stock for N, S, OO and TT scales as PRR is what got me back into model railroading during college.

I have my PRR shells available on Shapeways. Right now I have STL files for shells for K-4/L-1, H8/9/10, E6, Low side PRR tender, and on my computer I have files for K-4 high side tender, and an L1 high side tender. I also have STL files for PRR X29 and X29B box cars (also on Shapeways). Unfortunately I have no manufacturing experience or capabilities, and the costs for the shell prints from Shapeways are somewhat high... It would be great if the models could be turned into kits at more affordable prices...
DrCodeWizzard

Postby areibel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:56 pm

Welcome!
You're going to experience the same problem everyone in TT steam hits, the chassis you're using will be either 60+ year old HP Products (that are getting a little harder to find) or newer European outline ones. The new locomotives from Tillig, Rocco and others are nice runners but might not necessarily match up to specific US prototypes when it comes to driver sizes, style of valve gear etc..
That said at least one manufacturer (Lok N Roll) made a nice little steam switcher by converting the European version with a new boiler shell and tender so do a little research and dig in! There is some pretty good info on Wikipedia on the various European locomotives and they will have the info on driver size, wheel base, etc. I always thought a K-4 would be a great TT locomotive, I'll be watching your progress!
areibel

Postby Bigsix2102 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Hello: Mr. Areibel is correct about the LoK-N-Roll 0-6-0 switcher. Scroll down to the right page until you hit the topic: "Oh My Baby." There you will see general steps on how my friend, Victor Miranda and I, Made the stock 0-6--0 switcher even better with: all-wheel p/up in the tender: replacement of the 3-pole armature in the motor w/a 5_pole armature; and LED lights in the tender and on the front of the locomotive. Now, the stock model runs superb! I hope this helps. ('Oh My Baby..." will be found under the 'The General Discussion' menu.) Big Six 2102.
Bigsix2102

Postby RodTT » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:14 pm

Where do you source the motor and chassis assembly for a project like this?
RodTT

Postby Bigsix2102 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:16 pm

Hello RodTT: The armature comes from Bachmann N-Scale Locomotives: F-7 or the N-Scale 2-8-0 Consolidation; You shall use the motor which comes from the stock model. Take the 3-pole armature out & replace w/the 5-pole armature. You may have to drive the shaft in the 5-pole forward, after you take the Bachmann worm off & replace w/the Lok-N-Roll armature (the tricky & hard part of the project). After that, use thrust washers to align the new armature w/the brush cap holes of the back plate of the stock model motor. Do not solder wires to the brush cap holders while they are in the plastic back plate of the motor as the heat will destroy the plastic back plate. How do I know so much about this motor? I am a N-Scale Steam guy, & the motor that comes w/the stock model is an open-frame 3-pole motor made by Rivarossi. It is the same motor used in the following N-Scale, Rivarossi Steam Locomotives: The Big-Boy; the Challenger; & the Heavy Pacific & the Heavy Mikado. The magnents in this motor are much stronger than the rubberized magnent found in the notorious Rivarossi round-can motor. Where to get the chassis? Contact Mike of Lok-N-Roll in Germany. Now, RodTT, how do you like all of this specificity to answer your question? BigSix2102.
Bigsix2102

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion