Is there a market for US TT?

Re: Is there a market for US TT?

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:30 pm

As for getting new modelers into the scale, I think as much as we want to do it, we're putting the cart ahead of the horse. There needs to first be a critical mass of models. We get stuff produced for ourselves (and maybe a few newbies that we snag along the way). Eventually it will be easier to get new people in as we can show that new models come out somewhat regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Bernd » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:38 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Yup the HO RDC is all see through. This would be unlikely in TT. That's a basic problem with size that there is no way around. Take a look at all the Kres rail cars. They are mostly see through but not completely.

Starting the conversation with "X livery is a must" is a non starter. We will never agree on one.

Best way to go about it is choose the most popular variant of RDC and have it produced as undec or better yet as Bernd suggested, all aluminum.

As for getting new modelers into the scale, I think as much as we want to do it, we're putting the cart ahead of the horse. There needs to first be a critical mass of models. We get stuff produced for ourselves (and maybe a few newbies that we snag along the way). Eventually it will be easier to get new people in as we can show that new models come out somewhat regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alex I agree with what you said 100%.

Yes Rapido's RDC's are the most detailed model I have ever bought. But as the scale and room in that scale gets smaller, compromises have to be expected. A nice outside looking model less interior would be very desirable. The HO models have two motors under the floor. Probably not possible in TT scale. Rapido is making N scale products. I do believe they are engines.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby TinGoat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:27 pm

I don't have any skin in this but I'm willing to share my thoughts freely.

Have any of you heard of the ill fated Railflyer Model Prototypes?

The concept was pretty good but the execution left a lot to be desired...

Anyway, the idea was to start with a couple of blank long and short hoods and a variety of doors, hatches and fans....

A couple of cab variations too.

Follow a "recipe" of detail parts to make just about any EMD locomotive you desire.

A blank hood would be easy to assemble or 3D print and you could sand it smooth before adding any details so you don't have to worry about 3D print resolution.

All the details would be etched or cast in resin.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Overlooking Fairbank on the Toronto Belt Line
Ontario, Dominion of Canada
====
The Ontario Narrow Gauge Show:
http://www.narrowgaugeontario.com
====
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog:
http://humbervalleysimcoerailway.blogspot.com/
====
"Do you mind being apathetic?"
TinGoat

Postby railtwister » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:15 pm

Why is everyone so obsessed with the body shell for a new locomotive, when there is no decent quality drive system to put it on? The TT_IMS group over on Yahoo Groups produced a resin GP38 shell, whatever happened to plans for the drive for that?

What is needed first is a good set of trucks with quality wheels, gears, good electrical pickup system, correct wheelbase, & changeable sideframes. Until a decent drivetrain exists, beautiful body shells are of little use. Hacking up a currently available mediocre European drive to “sort of” fit a US profile body is not a realistic solution. Personally, I would love to see a Rapido built TT scale Budd RDC, but realistically, that is not the answer either, because it has such limited appeal (as if TT scale isn’t limited enough). An EMD F unit (plus F’s have the added advantage of not needing fragile & difficult to make handrails), GP, or SD would have more universal appeal, Alco, GE, FM & Baldwin, slightly less. Really, how many railroads actually had RDC’s?

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby TinGoat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:18 pm

railtwister wrote:Why is everyone so obsessed with the body shell for a new locomotive, when there is no decent quality drive system to put it on?

Bill in FtL

That's where a North American built and distributed Hollywood Foundry BullAnt type mechanism would come in...

The design is very modular and flexible.

Instead of a locomotive specific chassis you can have something that can be adapted/adjusted to fit anything.

Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
====
====
====
TinGoat

Postby RodTT » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:30 pm

TinGoat wrote:
railtwister wrote:Why is everyone so obsessed with the body shell for a new locomotive, when there is no decent quality drive system to put it on?

Bill in FtL

That's where a North American built and distributed Hollywood Foundry BullAnt type mechanism would come in...

The design is very modular and flexible.

Instead of a locomotive specific chassis you can have something that can be adapted/adjusted to fit anything.

Do you mean something like this, as sold by 3SMR in the UK? (Though I think they are in short supply, I've been waining to hear from them for a while).
bogies.png
RodTT

Postby TinGoat » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:33 pm

RodTT wrote:
Do you mean something like this, as sold by 3SMR in the UK? (Though I think they are in short supply, I've been waining to hear from them for a while).
bogies.png

Yes.

Happy Railroadin'
The Tin Goat
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
====
====
====
TinGoat

Postby railtwister » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Having things that are in short supply, not generally available, or possibly discontinued isn’t very useful. I’ve heard of the Bull Ant, but never seen one. Ordering something sight unseen on speculation, especially from another country, isn’t something I’m likely to do, nor are a lot of others likely to do it either. Has anyone ever done an honest review of the Bull Ant for a TT locomotive? Also, no one has yet said anything about the planned drive for the GP38 from TT_IMS.

NWSL has self-contained motor-on-truck drives that they offer for HO and also S (called Stanton Drives). Would something like that even be feasible for TT, or would the motor need to be too small?

Bill in FtL

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby areibel » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:05 pm

The GP38 came with an optional fold up etch for a chassis that could be used with either Bull Ant or Tillig trucks, whatever the modeler wanted to use along with their choice for motor, etc,.
Lok N Roll produced a RTR chassis for it as well, I believe they are still available.
As of right now Hollywood Foundry is still on hiatus, he had surgery and is in the process of moving so it will be a while before they can be obtained. That other small truck with the motor mounted on it is a Halling, I believe? It's neat in that the wheelbase can be changed slightly, but unfortunately the way the motor mounts it makes it hard to fit in a roadswitcher body.

The NWSL drives are pretty big for TT, they may have some uses but I haven't needed to buy one yet.
areibel

Postby railtwister » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:38 pm

I didn’t mean to imply that an HO NWSL Stanton drive could fit a TT loco, but more was wondering if a smaller, TT version could be made, using similar construction & design? I’m not convinced that a motor-on-truck design is the best way to go. I’m still favoring a split frame design similar to Kato/Atlas N scale locos, maybe even designed to use the exact same DCC replacement boards they use, to avoid DCC development costs. I realize there are some on this list who object to such a design, because their preferred digital system doesn’t offer such a board, but the fact is, that type of system isn’t even available in the USA (I don’t know how commonly used it is, even in Europe). For a small loco like in TT or N scale, that type of board takes up far less space than a separate decoder and plug would, and designing a TT loco to use an already existing N scale board seems to be a good idea.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion