Is there a market for US TT?

Re: Is there a market for US TT?

Postby dileTTante » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:55 am

Maybe a Canadian group could influence Rapido. Maybe it could be us in Vancouver.

I am retired and have enough time, but lack money for travel and startup expenses. I would do what I can.

Bill Dixon has already said more than once that he'd like a RDC in TT scale. I think he must have met Jason Schron during Schron's visit to Central Hobbies to promote Rapido. Bill has good business sense and can talk trains at a professional level. So I volunteer him.

Tibi works as a project manager (that's all I know about it) and his skills would be useful here. So I volunteer him, too.

They don't know this yet.

- Terry C
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:19 am

Hahahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby RodTT » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:47 am

ConducTTor wrote: Someone mentioned crowdfunding earlier.

That was me but the idea didn't seem to be going down too well.
RDCs aren't really my kind of thing but it would be great if Rapido got interested. The prices don't seem too out of line with MRPs from other manufacturers.
RodTT

Postby Bernd » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:56 am

As an owner of two RDC's in HO scale I would be more than happy to buy one or two in TT scale. As far as helping out I don't have the experience in model sales or the time. I'm still trying to get the house finished and I'm not getting any younger.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby CFRiad » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:42 am

dileTTante wrote:[H]is skills would be useful here. So I volunteer him, too.

Thank you. I now have a moonlighting job I didn't know I wanted. Yay!?
CFRiad

Postby CFRiad » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:00 am

CSD wrote:Crowd funding is a good approach. [...] The best thing is it takes the debate out of it.

Yup, this will show who actually is willing to put their money where their mouth is.
ConducTTor wrote:Anyone interested in a RDC?

Yes.The BC Rail/PGER livery is a must, though. Look up Cariboo Dayliner. The model could also come in a dummy variant to allow for cheaper multiple unit trains.
CFRiad

Postby Bernd » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:11 pm

CFRiad wrote:Yes.The BC Rail/PGER livery is a must, though. Look up Cariboo Dayliner. The model could also come in a dummy variant to allow for cheaper multiple unit trains.

MUST? Really MUST? Why would I want one in any livery? I would suggest an undecorated or at least in silver paint since they were, I believe, aluminum bodies. Why would I want to buy one in BC Rail/PGER? Doesn't fit my paint scheme or railroad name. Besides I enjoy painting models and applying decals.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby dileTTante » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:24 pm

RodTT wrote:
ConducTTor wrote: Someone mentioned crowdfunding earlier.

That was me but the idea didn't seem to be going down too well.
Crowd funding, group buys, and pre-ordering get the models into the hands of interested modelers like TT Nuts, but not into the hands of new modelers. We could run a RDC at a train show, but no one else could buy one.

Seeing on Rapido's web site that they produce only by pre-ordering, I thought this wouldn't be the way to expand interest in TT scale. However, Rapido appears to have a very large dealer network which along with their website can reach a potential market for TT worldwide.

Another possible snag -- Rapido's RDCs are HO and point of pride seems to be a fully visible interior and no visible motor. I don't know how this could be achieved in TT scale. Rapido offers no RDC in N scale, maybe for the same reason.
CFRiad wrote:I now have a moonlighting job I didn't know I wanted. Yay!?
"but be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em."
-Shakespeare
dileTTante

Postby Tom Dempsey » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:50 pm

This is the way higher end models come to market in O Scale (SCALE not GAUGE) and a quick trip through their forums will illuminate how much rancor and disappointment the business model produces. I remember how unhappily the Russian SD-45 etch importation program went for me personally.
Tom Dempsey

Is there a market for US TT?

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:24 pm

Yup the HO RDC is all see through. This would be unlikely in TT. That's a basic problem with size that there is no way around. Take a look at all the Kres rail cars. They are mostly see through but not completely.

Starting the conversation with "X livery is a must" is a non starter. We will never agree on one.

Best way to go about it is choose the most popular variant of RDC and have it produced as undec or better yet as Bernd suggested, all aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion