Is there a market for US TT?

Re: Is there a market for US TT?

Postby CFRiad » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:38 pm

I know, I know, saying this is almost a sacrilege. So who else to do it other than an idiot like me. So throw the rotten tomatoes at me.

Due to limited availability of rolling stock models, one approach to modelling TT is too built a generic-ish layout and then run on it whatever is at hand. That's what we do on the TT-Tracks layout. We run European for a few hours. There are 1930's trains with steam locos, ICEs, DB mixed with DR, freight, passenger, the lot. Then we empty the layout and run North American with CN trains along SPs and NYC.

Trains run, we set up operating scenarios, do switching, kids go oohh and aaahhh and we go home happy.
CFRiad

Postby dileTTante » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:55 am

TTTerrific wrote:
areibel wrote:OK, but who is modeling post 2010 Amtrack on the NEC? Caternary and all?

Not meeeee! :wave:
Apparently someone likes the Acela Express because Bachmann had a model in N which was well reviewed and according to MR magazine included a DCC decoder, for $450, and one in HO which can be bought for $249 - two end units and three cars. Another site priced the HO at $458 and says 'sold out'. Why not in TT?

The Turbotrain was operated by Amtrak and VIA from 1968 to 1980 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAC_TurboTrain). No catenary, no pantographs. Jason Shron started Rapido Trains with this model. Again, identical end units with identical cars between them.

- Terry C
dileTTante

Postby areibel » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:43 am

CFRiad wrote:I know, I know, saying this is almost a sacrilege. So who else to do it other than an idiot like me. So throw the rotten tomatoes at me.

Naah, no tomatoes! Maybe a snowball or two this time of year, though?

Running like that is just fine, I'd do it myself to display TT if I had a module that was more than a slab of pink foam.
I'd have HP running with A&D, A-K and LnR and not blink an eye. But to put time and money into BUILDING a model that no one really wants, that doesn't make sense.
But if anyone is giving them away I'll take one!
areibel

Postby CSD » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:42 pm

dileTTante wrote:Apparently someone likes the Acela Express because Bachmann had a model in N which was well reviewed and according to MR magazine included a DCC decoder, for $450, and one in HO which can be bought for $249 - two end units and three cars. Another site priced the HO at $458 and says 'sold out'. Why not in TT?

The Turbotrain was operated by Amtrak and VIA from 1968 to 1980 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UAC_TurboTrain). No catenary, no pantographs. Jason Shron started Rapido Trains with this model. Again, identical end units with identical cars between them.

- Terry C

I guess that settles it. I have no rebuttal for this line of reasoning. You should call Rapido and get this started. Put me down for one in Via colours.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby dileTTante » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:04 pm

CSD wrote:You should call Rapido and get this started. Put me down for one in Via colours.
Actually we have considered Rapido for TT. Mr Schron has visited Bill Dixon's shop on promotional tours. If I see him at the national show in Salt Lake City he'll get an earful. So will anyone else I come across there. That's the main attraction of the national shows. I'll tell him there are definitely two orders.

- Terry C

Actually why wait that long? Rapido's web site says they'll be in Calgary for Supertrain in April.
dileTTante

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:41 pm

I believe Rapido requires a 300 count for production. Someone mentioned crowdfunding earlier. If Rapido is willing to do a run of 300, we can do a crowdfunding. Everyone "donate" the cost of however many examples of the model they want. If we reach the magic number, Rapido does a production run and everybody gets their model(s).

Best bet would be a model they already make in another scale. Anyone interested in a RDC? I know I am.

If the crowdfunding doesn't reach its goal, everyone gets their money back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:47 pm

Oooh, I would LOVE some RDCs! I could see having about a half dozen of them, provided the price is affordable.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:05 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:Oooh, I would LOVE some RDCs! I could see having about a half dozen of them, provided the price is affordable.

*IF* what I proposed above were to happen, I expect the price to be what Rapido currently charges.

For reference https://www.rapidotrains.com/ho-rdc-second-run-orders/

ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CSD » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:09 pm

An aside on Rapido: Jason is a great guy. I never felt I was able to express my appreciation enough for featuring the SW1200 in the Rapido Newsletter (#49 if you're interested: https://www.rapidotrains.com/newsletter-archives/). Opened up a dialogue in which we discussed a few TT scale projects. He was open to it. After all, he has a toy train factory and I was paying; a match made in heaven (insert romantic violin). I remember having to send track samples to Jason in China so they could get some drawings started. I'll tell you, express posting things last minute to random factories in China is quite the rigmarole. Anyway, there have been several other productions made by Rapido, but paid for by other groups. Additionally, given the troubles of late with the Chinese model manufacturing industry, he has offered up his factory as an alternative. So, this is a thing his company does. (Hope you enjoyed that name drop. I have many more stories.)

ConducTTor wrote:I believe Rapido requires a 300 count for production. Someone mentioned crowdfunding earlier. If Rapido is willing to do a run of 300, we can do a crowdfunding. Everyone "donate" the cost of however many examples of the model they want. If we reach the magic number, Rapido does a production run and everybody gets their model(s)... If the crowdfunding doesn't reach its goal, everyone gets their money back.

Crowd funding is a good approach. This is a much more realistic conversation as opposed to using junk data to “convince” a manufacturer to make something for us and being all charity case like. The best thing is it takes the debate out of it. This I can get behind. I might even help. Depends who’s going to spearhead this one. Guess we’ll see if there are any volunteers. 1-2-3 not it!

RDC is an inspired choice, by the way. I can get behind that too.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:45 pm

I would gladly take this on but health is my one and only priority right now.

If someone else doesn't, I may do it anyway but no promises.

ConducTTor
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion