Is there a market for US TT?

Re: Is there a market for US TT?

Postby TTTerrific » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:10 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:Only for the guy everyone sends their money to.

It's foolhardy at best to place much credence in what folks at train shows assure you will sell like hotcakes. Of course they're very interested in TT, they're very interested in everything at the train show, sort of why they came. What people tell you they'll buy for sure, and what they actually part with the bucks for are frequently considerably different. One of the biggest and costliest lessons of my first five years in the business.

Tom is absolutely correct on this point. Anyone on the forum care to revisit RailTech and the then "promised" USRA Consolodation? I bet not. :lol:
TTTerrific

Postby krokodil » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:23 pm

Tom, not only yours..... :-(
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby dileTTante » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:24 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:It's foolhardy at best to place much credence in what folks at train shows assure you will sell like hotcakes. Of course they're very interested in TT, they're very interested in everything at the train show, sort of why they came. What people tell you they'll buy for sure, and what they actually part with the bucks for are frequently considerably different. One of the biggest and costliest lessons of my first five years in the business.
Were you actually trying to sell TT at train shows? And what sort of TT were you offering?
- Terry C
dileTTante

Postby Tom Dempsey » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:57 pm

[/quote]Were you actually trying to sell TT at train shows? And what sort of TT were you offering?
- Terry C[/quote]

Kathy and I pack TT Scale product to every show we go to. A quick perusal of my website will answer your second question.
Tom Dempsey

Postby dileTTante » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:16 pm

Tom Dempsey wrote:Kathy and I pack TT Scale product to every show we go to. A quick perusal of my website will answer your second question.
Please excuse my ignorance. There is no direct way to know that Cloverhouse is your website. I resorted to searching the internet which brought up a post on TTNut in which Richard Brennan referred to you and Cloverhouse. I should have remembered reading that post but it was from a couple years back.

Meanwhile, I'll suggest an alternative to sell in TT rather than a locomotive. Last year we began running on TT Tracks the German inter city sets. First was ICE1 from Tillig, then three cars were added to that set and a second train, ICE3 from Piko was run at the same time. These are popular with visitors. People remarked to each other about riding the trains when visiting Europe. The children like them because they go fast.

Producing and marketing a set for N America, such as Turbotrain, Acela, or the Cascades (or? What do I know?) has some advantages. The models would be simpler to make than a steam locomotive, or even some diesels. The cars are all similar and therefore easier to make a bunch rather than an assortment of freight cars. Sold as a set the models would have just one package to stock and ship. Each set sold would bring in more money than selling just a locomotive and each set would provide instantly a complete train to run.

- Terry C
dileTTante

Postby AstroGoat760 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:48 pm

How about an ACS-64 and some Amfleet cars? The ACS-64 is close to Euro design, and the Amfleet cars could see multiple purposes.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:06 pm

I believe the ACS-64 is based on one of the Euro designs. It should be relatively easy to convert a Tillig model. All you would really need is a new shell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby CFRiad » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:50 pm

AstroGoat760 wrote:The ACS-64 is close to Euro design

ConducTTor wrote:I believe the ACS-64 is based on one of the Euro designs

The Amtrak Cities Sprinter is based on the Siemens EuroSprinter platform. Related models are DB's BR-182, ÖBB's BR-1016/1116/1216, and a bunch of others from around the world. Tillig catalog numbers for the ÖBB machines are 04965 and 04968.
CFRiad

Postby areibel » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:18 pm

OK, but who is modeling post 2010 Amtrack on the NEC? Caternary and all?
areibel

Postby TTTerrific » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:37 pm

areibel wrote:OK, but who is modeling post 2010 Amtrack on the NEC? Caternary and all?

Not meeeee! :wave:
TTTerrific

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion