Is there a market for US TT?

Re: Is there a market for US TT?

Postby MacG » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:36 pm

A chassis mounting coupler should be possible. An SD40-2 is about 7 mm longer than a Krauss Maffei ML-4000. There are no problems with this model. An MU-consist isn't tested yet. The IRIS Creek Valley Railroad works with the Dapol couplings at the models SD40 and SD45. I do not know which coupler is at the Dash 9, but it works.
Lok-n-Roll.de - we send worldwide :wink:
MacG

Postby Bernd » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:46 pm

Here's the NMRA standards for rail equipment for certain radius'. If these can't be followed then forget about an SD-40 or anything larger with European standards.

https://www.nmra.org/rp-11-curvature-rolling-stock

Perhaps thought should be given to produce North American track like what is offered by Micro Engineering. Three feet of flex track and number 6 or larger turnouts. I see this as the chicken and egg argument. Which should be done first, the track or the rolling stock.

Bernd
Bernd

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:40 pm

Def rolling stock. It's almost non existent. Track at least can be readily purchased (even if it's not exactly NA prototypical).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:16 pm

I would also agree on rolling stock as being a bit more important than new track types.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby CFRiad » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:30 pm

Rolling stock, for sure.
CFRiad

Postby j p » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:33 am

krokodil wrote:It is exactly the case what I am talking about. The majority of US modellers will prefer the body mounted couplers, but it is probably not possible, if the locomotive have to run on generally available track systems (Tillig or Kuehn).
Unfortunately I do not have the blue tiger, it is too long for our layout, so I do not have any experience about its performance on standard modern TT track system.

Why would it not be possible? Tillig, Kuehn and Krueger have no upper limit for the radius of their curves - using flextrack. Kuehn has introduced compatible turnouts recently.
j p

Postby j p » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:52 am

Bernd wrote:Here's the NMRA standards for rail equipment for certain radius'. If these can't be followed then forget about an SD-40 or anything larger with European standards.

https://www.nmra.org/rp-11-curvature-rolling-stock

Perhaps thought should be given to produce North American track like what is offered by Micro Engineering. Three feet of flex track and number 6 or larger turnouts. I see this as the chicken and egg argument. Which should be done first, the track or the rolling stock.

Bernd

Bernd, the European standard (NEM 111) says the same as NMRA standard.
Turnout nr. 6 is available from Kuehn, flextrack too. The number of customers needs to be 1000 times higher for NA track system in TT.

- Jan
j p

Postby krokodil » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:55 am

j p wrote:
krokodil wrote:It is exactly the case what I am talking about. The majority of US modellers will prefer the body mounted couplers, but it is probably not possible, if the locomotive have to run on generally available track systems (Tillig or Kuehn).
Unfortunately I do not have the blue tiger, it is too long for our layout, so I do not have any experience about its performance on standard modern TT track system.

Why would it not be possible? Tillig, Kuehn and Krueger have no upper limit for the radius of their curves - using flextrack. Kuehn has introduced compatible turnouts recently.

What do you think, why are we all here for the TT scale? Not because the cheaper or better models, but for the available space...and this is the limitation for everybody in this scale. Many years ago there where tendences ( in H0) to prescribe the minimal radius etc. for marketing point of view all these efforts failed. Somebody (NMRA&NEM) released the recommendations for the minimum radius, also it is given and if somebody want to bring any model to the market must deal with this issue. There is no shortcut! Believe me if the new models will have any problems on these basic tracks, the manufacturer will get into serious trouble, and probably will stop all activities for US market.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby Bernd » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:53 am

Having followed the discussions on this forum for several years now. It has come to my attention that perhaps the American market is not well understood . Have any of you taken a look at the types of layout that are built here in the US. A majority of them fill the basement or an adjoining building designed for a model railroad. The American modeler is more interested in following North American prototype. Here are two examples of the types of layouts I'm talking about.

http://www.modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=3848.0

http://www.modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=2650.0

Take a quick look at the pictures. It shows the size. These are the modelers with money to spend. These guys run equipment many of TT scale modelers dream about. This is the American market. If European companies can't supply this type of modeler then it's no use to even discuss a SD40-2 or any other large equipment. This is what the US market demands. If the demands can't be met then there is market.
Bernd

Postby krokodil » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 am

It would be nice when it would be the real situation. I know very well the US conditions and the possibilities. But when it would be the market for models, than I do not know why most of US manufacturers went into bankrupcy in the last 20-30 years.
Just an interesting experience, in one of the big towns (about 6 mil) in the last 20 years from almost 20 modelshops just two left over.

We see also here, when I correctly remember MTB produced some 500 pcs of SW1200 for this "huge market". J.P in Prague has probably more US locomotives in TT as many of TTnut members.
I do not have TT models of US prototypes, but on my Us logging layout in H0 I have over 20 logging locos!
I am now involved in one US home layout in N scale of some 20x1.8m, (Arizona) what is huge from European point of view.
The friend of mine, owner of the layout is buying almost everthing on ebay, mostly from European and from Japanese sources. Where are the US suppliers? The N scale is definitively more popular, than our lovely TTscale.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion