The perfect track plan?

The perfect track plan?

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:49 pm

Is there such a thing? I'm on my Nth version of a track plan for my new layout. There is constantly something that I think could be better. When do you guys say "ok, this is good" and move forward with the build?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: The perfect track plan?

Postby Marquette » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:49 pm

It really depends on what you want to do.

Even for someone like me who wants to model a specific prototype as accurately as possible, there's a lot of work to do when it comes to working out the trackage. The prototype gives the template, but there's a lot of compression and fudging that needs done. Essentially, when the design will

A, fit into the room available
B, handle the required amount of traffic that'll happen during an op session
C, looks right

then is when I'll say okay, that's done, let's build.

Though point C for me means "is suitably representative of the specific spot on the prototype", it can be also interpreted more loosely. If it looks good and does what you want it to do, then it's go time!
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby CSD » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:48 pm

Sacrifice is the key. I came up with some must haves on my layout. Wide turn radii, trains only go through a scene once during a trip, industrial area, station with servicing area, a branch line, etc. What I had to give up was continuous running (Although I enjoy continuous running, not having the track come back to itself has really freed up the design), reduced the industrial area to one industry (oil storage facility) and the branch line, unfortunately, has the main line in the background. The best thing I did was to come up with standards for the track. Sticking to these standards has made some of the decisions for me.

In answer to your question, no. Even though I'm enjoying quite a bit of space I still cannot fit in everything I'd like.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:04 pm

CSD wrote:Sacrifice is the key.........Although I enjoy continuous running, not having the track come back to itself has really freed up the design

That's something I can't part with and it dictates a LOT.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:17 pm

That is the argument for building a modular layout - as preferences change over time, changes can be made by building new modules and modifying old ones.

For us, a layout has to support at least 2 separate main lines that are connected to each other, this allows Nicholle and I to run one of "our" (Nicholle: Chessie, BN, N&W) (Me: Southern, SOO, PC) (and our shared: Possum Central and NS) trains on a mainline at a time.

Then again, everyone has their own preferences.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:32 pm

TTQuebec wrote:A, fit into the room available
B, handle the required amount of traffic that'll happen during an op session
C, looks right
then is when I'll say okay, that's done, let's build.

and keep in mind that once you start construction and see everything in full size you'll likely come up with improvements to the design anyway ............dave
ctxmf74

Return to Layouts / Track Plans