"The GuiTTar Case"

"The GuiTTar Case"

Postby CN-TT » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:18 pm

If you want your own GuiTTar Case, this is how I did it:

As many of you know, real estate in Vancouver, BC is 'a bit pricey'. I needed something small for my apartment and something that is easy to carry on in public transit and easy to move back to Germany in a few years. At first I thought of a travel case for golf clubs. I couldn't find one. For a short time I even thought of a gun case. But I really didn't want to support the weapons industry :evil: !!! One day, I found this guitar case with a guitar inside on the side of a road with a sign that read "FREE" (probably a leftover after a yard sale). At home I did the same with the guitar and kept the case.
The first task was to remove the plush inside (1 day of work) and the bad smell (4 weeks!). I took some sheets of parchment paper to make a template of the inner shape for the foam board. Foam board (2 x 1/2inch) is light and easy to use. Developing the right track plan was actually fast and easy. Waiting for the parts took some time. I'm using Kuehn turnout WL20 and WR20 and Kuehn flextrack for the branch lines. The rest is Tillig. Underneath are micro servos for the turnouts connected to a "TEAM DIGITAL SC8 Servo Controller". I wanted to keep a low profile. So I milled out the channels for the wiring, the shape of the servos and the servo controller. The servos are press fit plus security tape on top.
My concept for switching: I wanted an industrial setting with a birds eye view. The gray ballasted track represents the fairly new reconstructed main line. The brown ones are the different branch line tracks. I'm planning on a fuel depot (tank cars), warehouses (box cars)and some kind of ramp (Box cars, flat cars). But I'm open for suggestions!
Everything is controlled by DCC via sprog2/JMRI or Roco Multimaus.
You can find all pictures in the following gallerie: gallery/album.php?album_id=52

P.S.: At the last show we even thought of a casket with TT inside, but it's probably kinda hard to find a cheap used one!? :lol:

Bjoern
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Re: "The GuiTTar Case"

Postby Arseny » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:01 pm

CN-TT wrote:My concept for switching: I wanted an industrial setting with a birds eye view. The gray ballasted track represents the fairly new reconstructed main line. The brown ones are the different branch line tracks. I'm planning on a fuel depot (tank cars), warehouses (box cars)and some kind of ramp (Box cars, flat cars). But I'm open for suggestions!

I think you should use the "fascia" buildings to economize the space, something like bas-relief, low relief. Something like jpachl
did on his dioramas.
Just do not use all the building, but facade only, and partially sidewalls.

You can use Auhagen brick buildings for your industrial setting - "Gaswerk", "Neustadt station", "Wittenburg station", etc.
Arseny

Postby MacG » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:47 pm

A really good work, especially with the servo switch motors underneath.
You can also use for background buildings the Auhagen H0 factory parts. That's a modular system. Or Walthers Cornerstone Low Relief with some minor changes.
MacG

Postby CN-TT » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:14 am

@MacG/ Arseny: Thanks for the tips. I didn't know of these systems. Next step, I'm going to do some staging with some paper low relief buildings. But I probably will need more than plain paper models because of the view from above. Some would notice the lack of depth. That is no problem if you look straight from the front to such a building.
I will keep you updated.

Bjoern

CN-TT

Postby CN-TT » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:17 pm

The first buildings are put up. The two left ones are paper low relief, the two on the right side are laser cut models. The tank facility is built from scratch out of old BTTB tank cars, balsa wood and scrap metal.

Pics G017 - G020: gallery/album.php?album_id=52

Bjoern

CN-TT

Postby j p » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:18 pm

One of the buildings has a real prototype in Prague
j p

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:53 pm

Looks really great :thumbup: :clap:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby MacG » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:37 pm

It's looks gorgeous. Are the yellow wheel stops also built from scratch?
MacG

Postby CN-TT » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:26 pm

Thanks guys!

@jp: You're right. The office building has the prototype somewhere in Edmonton, AB.
@MacG: Yes. It saves me approximately 20 mm of track length compared to your bumpers and makes the whole thing a little bit more interesting.

Bjoern

CN-TT

"The GuiTTar Case"

Postby CN-TT » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:29 pm

Almost done!

Over the last few weeks I added some more stuff to the GuiTTar Case. But see for yourself!
gallery/album.php?album_id=52

Bjoern

CN-TT

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans