The First North American TT meet! Canada Style!

The First North American TT meet! Canada Style!

Postby CSD » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:44 pm

Okay! Let's plan this thing!

The time off work is booked so I will see you in Burnaby. Can someone please post the details (time, address, etc.)?
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: The First North American TT meet! Canada Style!

Postby Marquette » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:25 pm

Western Rails 2010, Sunday March 14, 2010, 9am to 4pm. At Cameron Rec Centre, 9523 Cameron Street in Burnaby, B.C. - right in behind Lougheed Mall.

Are we still considering pitching in for a table? Things are conspiring against me so I doubt I'll have anything like a module ready or even barely presentable, but definitely some rolling stock etc.

Since it ends at 4, a post-show dinner might be something to consider? There's a really good pasta place right across the street from the Rec Centre.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby dileTTante » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:42 am

The restaurant afterward is a good idea. If you just want to meet at the show, I would enjoy meeting you two and anyone else doing TT scale.

It is still possible to do a table with no module. As I said earlier I can bring a BTTB starter set of BR86, passenger wagons, and an oval of tinplate track. Also freight wagons and power supply (not DCC) and some lengths of flex track which could be used for displaying rolling stock. I can put together a page of TT scale information to hand out. The novelty of the scale may be enough to generate interest but I'd feel silly sitting there on my own representing nobody. Actually I wouldn't mind doing that but to be alone at a table all day is not practicable. I can arrange for a table but can't pay until the beginning of March. Probably there is no urgency in booking a table.

If doing a table and if the setup is needed then time is available Saturday afternoon, in which case perhaps it could be followed by the restaurant dinner instead of on Sunday. Either day would be fine with me.

Unless the two of you have something definite in mind, or don't want to do anything formal at all, I can just get the table and bring a bag of models and you can show up with whatever you have and give me breaks for browsing, getting a coffee, finding a washroom, etc.
dileTTante

Postby CSD » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:45 am

TTQuebec wrote:Western Rails 2010, Sunday March 14, 2010, 9am to 4pm. At Cameron Rec Centre, 9523 Cameron Street in Burnaby, B.C. - right in behind Lougheed Mall.

Awesome! Thank you.

Looks like I too will not have a module prepared. Transporting it on the plane would be a major pain anyway. A suitcase full of trains shouldn't be a problem though. If you guys want to do the table, great, I don't mind pitching in at all. Doing something informal appeals to me and will give us more flexibility in terms of enjoying the day. I'll leave the decision to you gents since you are familiar with the event. As long as I get a chance to meet you and see some of your trains, I will be happy. For dinner, I'm there!
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby BTTB Fan » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:02 am

I would have liked to visit, but it's not going to work out for me this year :(
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby ConducTTor » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:07 pm

BTTB Fan wrote:I would have liked to visit, but it's not going to work out for me this year :(

Me too :cry:
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby dileTTante » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:59 am

If there are no objections, I will arrange for a table at the train show and pay for it at the beginning of March. With our modest ambitions I don't see a need to set up Saturday. And we can plan on dining after the show Sunday. CSD, forget expectations about trains from me. I'm not really a modeler. My trains are all in a file storage box. They are just Berliner and Tillig things from the early 1990's. I'll try to make up an information sheet about TT scale, and perhaps I can pack along some old copies of Continental Modeller. You can count on an oval of track, a power pack, extension cord, and a few half metre lengths of TT track.

For the hand-out sheet I'd appreciate a few ideas from everyone about what we're representing. It doesn't have to be official like, but enough to give the impression that things are happening in TT. Without more input I intend to mention the usual history of TT and the TTNut address.

There is also another train show April 11 in Nanaimo BC on Vancouver Island. I've never attended that one but a ferry ride to the Island an back would make an interesting day.
dileTTante

Postby Marquette » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:24 am

Well... amongst the three of us I think I'm the only North American modeller, but hopefully gabbysuz can make it up too... in any event, I would very much suggest that a good bit of it focus on describing the current state of TT in North America - Gold Coast's RTR stuff, resin kits from PVM, etched brass kits for SW1200 from Worsley Works, projects under way to produce more modern diesels (TT Scale Society's GP38-2 and Norkin's SD45 e.g.), and other such endeavours to show the community-involvement type of thing going on. Since most people at the show are interested in North American railways, I think this would perhaps make TT seem more relevant to them - emphasising that this is a living scale in North America - if a minor one - and not just in Europe.
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby dileTTante » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:36 am

Do the people you mention have any information to hand out? I agree that focus should be on models of N. American railroads but I have nothing to show. When I got my models it looked like Europe was the only happening place for TT scale. If I wanted TT without scratchbuilding I had to do Europe. (I've noticed that the US-based layout pictured in the Gold Coast gallery is from a club in Germany.) I tried to learn about their railways and countryside, etc through books and magazines, effectively brainwashing myself away from American railroads. I can bring along an HP Products reefer car unbuilt, still as a kit in the box, something I got from Railway World before they were closed down to make room for the 'Storyeum'. That's the only N. American TT thing I have.

Perhaps you could approach American manufacturers for information if you're familiar with them. I thought of printing just the web pages for the manufacturers you mention but the best place to find out about them actually is here at TTNut. Nothing before this has brought TTers together. At the Vancouver show there are exhibits of UK modeling and many Europeans in attendance, so I think anything would attract interest just for the novelty of being in TT. I would not be at all surprised if we discover that many at the show know something about TT, maybe even have models. I'm already looking through back issues of my magazines. I have the Model Railroaders from the time Tillig were trying to invade the US. Probably there's some relevant info to use.
dileTTante

Postby CSD » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:04 am

dileTTante wrote:If there are no objections, I will arrange for a table at the train show and pay for it at the beginning of March. With our modest ambitions I don't see a need to set up Saturday. And we can plan on dining after the show Sunday...

Sounds good to me. I'll pitch in when I see you.
TTQuebec wrote:...I would very much suggest that a good bit of it focus on describing the current state of TT in North America - Gold Coast's RTR stuff, resin kits from PVM, etched brass kits for SW1200 from Worsley Works, projects under way to produce more modern diesels (TT Scale Society's GP38-2 and Norkin's SD45 e.g.), and other such endeavours to show the community-involvement type of thing going on...

That was exactly the suggestion I got from Conducttor. If you don't mind collecting that information (my interest in European so I haven't been following too closely), I can get some Europe info together. BTTB recommended getting some business cards with the site address on them. I will arrange to have them made.
Mark
//S
CSD

Next

Return to General Discussion