Testors Discontinues Polyscale, Floquil and Pactra

Testors Discontinues Polyscale, Floquil and Pactra

Postby CSD » Mon May 27, 2013 12:58 pm

Testors has elected to discontinue several lines of popular model paint. These have been cornerstones in the hobby for many years. Personally I am quite peeved as much of my scenery colour palette is based on Polyscale paints.

Here is a link to some information on MRH: http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/13972
Mark
//S
CSD

Re: Testors Discontinues Polyscale, Floquil and Pactra

Postby railtwister » Tue May 28, 2013 8:59 am

Hi Mark,

I agree it is disappointing, I have been using Floquil paints for many years, although they have never really been the same since Testors bought the company and changed the solvent from DioSol, first to Rev-1 then mineral spirits many years ago. We went through a similar thing several years ago, when Testors discontinued the Flo-Stain line of stains. While I never was able to warm up to the water based paints like Polly-S and then Polly-Scale for models, I did occasionally use them for touch up work or scenery.

Since you are using the water based products, and at that, mostly for scenery, what I would suggest doing, is to take the colors you are most fond of, and paint them on a piece of white card or styrene (about 1/2 the size of an index card), and make a note of the colors name & sku number on the back, just for reference. Keep the cards on file in a safe, dry place, and then, when you need more of that color, take the card to a big box home store and have them mix to match using their computer color analyser. Around here, Home Depot will mix up a small jar (several ounces) which is normally sold to decorators as a sample, for less than the price of a one ounce jar from Testors. They will even print an extra mixing formula label that you can stick on the back of your reference card if you ask for it.

Unfortunately, it's not that easy to duplicate the solvent based paints, but keep in mind that there are competing products such as ScaleCoat, TrueColor, Humbrol and others. I'm actually more upset about losing the little glass bottles with the metal caps that the paints came in, than I am about the paint, since the bottles were the same as the ones used by my Binks airbrush!

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby CSD » Tue May 28, 2013 11:14 am

railtwister wrote:... take the colors you are most fond of, and paint them on a piece of white card or styrene (about 1/2 the size of an index card), and make a note of the colors name & sku number on the back, just for reference...

A good idea. I was looking at the selection that Vallejo has because they have a number of paint matching tables, including RAL matches. As I have an RAL colour book and have already converted some railway colours for the SW1200 project, this seems like a good avenue.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby LVG1 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:06 pm

Just a little tidbit:

CSD wrote:As I have an RAL colour book...

Do you know what RAL means?
I wonder why this designation is still (officially) used.

It means Reichsausschuss für Lieferbedingungen (Imperial Committee for Delivery Specifications).
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby CSD » Tue May 28, 2013 12:37 pm

LVG1 wrote:... I wonder why this designation is still (officially) used...

I suppose if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby LVG1 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:21 pm

CSD wrote:I suppose if it ain't broke don't fix it.

But it would be easy to change the name while keeping the standards it stands for.

GDR, for instance, launched its TGL standards. Essentially, most of them were copied from DIN and RAL and other norms and replaced them.
"Let's eat, grandpa."
Punctuation marks save lives!
LVG1

Postby areibel » Tue May 28, 2013 6:27 pm

LOL!
I just thought RAL was Royal Alberta Lumber or something- the Great White North's version of Home Depot?
areibel

Return to General Discussion