Tentative TT scale plan based on Pennsy Delmarva.

Tentative TT scale plan based on Pennsy Delmarva.

Postby ctxmf74 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:59 am

I put a track plan in the photo galley of a layout I'm hoping to start in my workshop layout space. It's based on Pennsy branchline operations on the Delmarva peninsula around 1950's era. I picked this location so I can use a Sazmodel Pennsy switcher and my Kemtron brass caboose. I recalled seeing a version in a Lance Mindheim book and it looked like it could have an interesting mix of industries with fairly flat scenery and a nice bay front to model. I've never been there and don't know much about the area so i'll build it as I imagine it could be along with using whatever info I can find about the real place. My operating scheme is a local based at the end of the branch at the bay comes on duty, runs a few miles to the Pennsy mainline junction and picks up whatever inbound cars were left there and leaves it's outgoing cars then runs back to the bay switching the industries as it goes and returns where appropriate. I envision short trains and varying consist depending on season and economic needs of the area. I included a continuous run connection by way of a removable section crossing the room entry door. Layout plan is in photo gallery in my ctxmf74 album, should show up in recently uploaded photos .....DaveB
ctxmf74

Re: Tentative TT scale plan based on Pennsy Delmarva.

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:05 pm

Here is the image - it will help people reading this.

What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:13 pm

I like it a lot overall. I would change one thing though - the water along the bottom side. With rails and buildings in front of it, there is almost no point in it being there. I would move it in front of all that. I guess you have no plans/needs for staging?
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:47 pm

"- the water along the bottom side. With rails and buildings in front of it, there is almost no point in it being there."

I put it there to help set the scene for the industries and to give the railroad a reason to terminate ( it hit the bay front and couldn't go farther) My main question is will it be possible to blend the water surface into the backdrop in a convincing manner? I'm looking into flopping the town and putting the bay front along the aisle but then the railroad action would be behind the buildings and harder to enjoy. I can move the front edge of the benchwork and the tracks a bit further into the aisle and create a wider strip of waterfront if that makes it look more realistic. I'm looking for layout photos with similar waterfront scenery now to see how they handled the problem. Thanks for adding the track plan photo to my post....DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:54 pm

Staging?
It will be a one train a day operation since I don't have enough equipment to model anything more complex. The track marked "interchange" is about 9 feet long so will hold incoming cars supposedly left there by mainline trains. The Saz model PRR SW9 will run from "Skipjack" to interchange and pick up incoming cars and leave outgoing cars. In between operating sessions I'll replace the cars on the interchange track with new inbound cars. I plan to have a storage shelf or cabinet somewhere close to the main line interchange. .DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:58 pm

I think either way (water front or against the wall), you'll have to keep the buildings low. Or they will block whatever is behind them.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ctxmf74 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:15 pm

"I think either way (water front or against the wall), you'll have to keep the buildings low. Or they will block whatever is behind them.'

My original concept for the scene was one would see the track and trains,the buildings behind them ,and maybe some boat mast sticking up above the buildings here and there. The buildings could hide most of the horizon and I'd just have to figure out how to handle the water/backdrop interface in the areas between buildings where it would show. The benchwork will be about chest high so looking over the buildings would be difficult with them in front of the tracks. I'll probably end up making a short test version of the area and see how it looks full size ..DaveB
ctxmf74

Postby Juup » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:35 pm

Helpful to have the picture posted here in the thread. This is a tricky one indeed ... the water front OR the train lines hidden by buildings. No clue what the prototypicality of this suggestion is, so perhaps a non-starter ... and it would require more depth ... but how about having the long narrow buildings be a bit less long, rotate them 90 degrees, and have them jutting out into the body of water. Then they would be less of an obstacle to your point of view.
Juup

Using Tapatalk 2
Juup

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:54 pm

Also, is there a possibility of having the water in front, the buildings in back and rail in the middle?

Also if you do keep the water in the back, the backdrop would simply be sky - wouldn't it?

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby j p » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:01 pm

ConducTTor wrote:Also, is there a possibility of having the water in front, the buildings in back and rail in the middle?

Also if you do keep the water in the back, the backdrop would simply be sky - wouldn't it?

Sent using Tapatalk - now Free

It can be water+sky too.
j p

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans