Taskboard TT Scale Tie Strips

Re: Taskboard TT Scale Tie Strips

Postby railtwister » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:51 am

I would be concerned about the effect water from the diluted ballast glue would have on the task board, which is a paper product. I once built a narrow gauge helix (actually two, one up & one down on separate modules) for a local club, using roadbed made of Upson board, a similar product to task board. During the construction, there was a roof leak which resulted in a few ounces of water dripping onto one of the modules. The Upson board roadbed soaked up water in about a six inch long area, and promptly swelled to over twice it's thickness in that area, causing a severe hump in the track. Fortunately, because it was such a small area, we were able to save the helix by clamping a straight piece of wood on top of the rails and squeezing the roadbed back down to its proper thickness, mopping up the water that oozed out, and leaving the clamps in place for a week until all the water had evaporated. As I was tightening the clamps, it was like squeezing water out of a sponge. Since it was a helix, we never ballasted the tracks on those modules, and we were very careful not to spill any water on those tracks!

I would recommend doing some water testing of the task board before you invest a lot of time hand laying any tracks, because soaking the ballast down with glue could cause serious distortion...

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby dwyaneward » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:27 pm

Bernd wrote:Anybody here use Taskboard to do something similar?

Time for a little research.

Bernd

Yes, but have not had time to build the base and laid any of it to test.

Dwyane Ward | Fairview, TX
------------------------------------
My TT Scale Modeling Blog
Texas & Pacific - Bonham Division in N Scale
KD Models -3D Printing
dwyaneward

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:45 am

Honestly, I would be concerned about a wood/paper based product. You don't want your track all out of wack just because of humidity in the air.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Marquette » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:54 am

Well, wood itself I'm sure can be used safely, after all it's been used for a long time. I wonder, though, if wooden ties need to be treated somehow, with some 1:120 equivalent of creosote? Or would, perhaps, the painting of the ties be sufficient?
http://espeett.blogspot.com - The SP in 1:120 - my attempt at a blog
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
Marquette

Postby railtwister » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:45 am

ConducTTor wrote:Honestly, I would be concerned about a wood/paper based product. You don't want your track all out of wack just because of humidity in the air.

Deja vu? In the 1950's & 1960's, Atlas' HO flex track (and maybe other brands, too) used to be made with the ties punched out of a fiberboard material and the rails held in place by staples driven up from the bottom of the tie strip. There were many reports of track gauge issues caused by the effects of changing temperature & humidity, until they switched to plastic ties.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:50 pm

Maybe compare with an un-watered strip?
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby milwrd1 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:24 pm

railtwister wrote:
ConducTTor wrote:Honestly, I would be concerned about a wood/paper based product. You don't want your track all out of wack just because of humidity in the air.

Deja vu? In the 1950's & 1960's, Atlas' HO flex track (and maybe other brands, too) used to be made with the ties punched out of a fiberboard material and the rails held in place by staples driven up from the bottom of the tie strip. There were many reports of track gauge issues caused by the effects of changing temperature & humidity, until they switched to plastic ties.

Bill in FtL

Some flex track from the 1950's and 1960's used a punched fiber material for the ties. The Kalmbach publication "The ABC's of Model Railroading" addresses ballasting track with fiber (paperlike) ties. Quoting from page 18: " Caution: If your track has fiber (paperlike) ties, water will make it swell out of gauge. Instead, use thinned lacquer for bonding (the ballast). It's not as flexible as matte medium, but it won't hurt fiber". The ABC's publication was first printed in 1978.
milwrd1

Postby railtwister » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:51 am

Hi Bernd,

Good to know, thanks for doing the test and posting the results here. Painting the tie strip with a solvent based paint before adding the ballast should be further insurance against any moisture problems. Do you plan to spike your rails or use the Pliobond method?

Either way, you're more ambitious than I am!

While I do hand lay the straights and curves (but not the turnouts, I use Peco) on my On30 modules, it's in 1/48 scale, and even then uses code 100 rail (somewhat oversized for narrow gauge in that scale) because it's more durable for use on modules.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby railtwister » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:39 am

Hi Bernd,

I know what you mean about being involved in to many scales/gauges, I think I may be a perfect example of that affliction. I think I have something in all the popular sizes and gauges except 7.5" gauge and 1:1 scale, both of which are way out of my price range! I never got enthusiastic about HOn3 (and On3, as well) because for so many years it was really only available in expensive brass locos, which, for the most part ran terribly. By the time Blackstone came along, I had discovered On30, and realized that I no longer had the eyesight to do much modeling in anything smaller than HO. For over 25 years now, most of my modeling has been done with modules because I have no home layout.

I used to think everything should be of contest quality when it came to my modeling, but have begun to realize that that just isn't very practical. Still, I try to do a good job, but I tend to be my own worst critic, so my goal is changing to simply having fun, which is why we do hobbies in the first place.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby richardedmonds » Thu May 01, 2014 3:50 pm

Sounds about right, nobody these days seems to worry about what the customer wants
richardedmonds

Next

Return to General Discussion