Table saw, band saw?

Table saw, band saw?

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:05 am

Hey guys, I'm looking for a table saw and a band saw. I prefer small units that I can put on my layout while working. Will mainly be cutting 1/4" hardboard, and 1/2" birch. Maybe some other woods potentially up to 3/4" thickness. These will be exclusively for building the layout so I'm not concerned with other uses. Any recommendations?
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Re: Table saw, band saw?

Postby BTTB Fan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:42 pm

This may be not an answer you are looking for, but I would suggest looking into getting a decent jigsaw to replace both the table and band saw for building the layout. I purchased a Craftsman (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... ord=jigsaw ) about a year ago and find it to be very good, if a little bit on a heavy side. With the wide blades, you can keep a decently straight line (even without the edge guide), and with the narrow blades, it has an excellent turning radius.
Alexei
BTTB Fan

Postby Traincrazychapple » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:22 pm

I used a floor model table saw and a miter saw to build my layout benchwork, but this is a huge G scale layout and I already owned the saws.
For small equipment to set on a table to use, I too will say get a real good sabre saw(jig saw). I owned a light duty jig for years that was a chore to use. Last year I invested in a $125 dollar unit, and it's a dream to use. Tons of power, good saw guide. If you need good long straight cuts, I clamp a straight edge on to the piece to be cut for a guide. You would really appreciate the jigsaw being a variable speed as well.

Happy TTrails.
Dick traincrazychapple
Traincrazychapple

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:35 pm

A jigsaw is what I've used so far and haven't been happy with it. However, it's an old, cheap model so I guess replacing it with something nice would solve my issues. New jig it is :D
My website: https://www.ttnut.com
It's the website you're already on. But if you want to be even more on it, click the link.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:44 pm

Jigsaw!
Attachments
Billypuppet.jpg
Billypuppet.jpg (13.64 KiB) Viewed 753 times
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby AstroGoat760 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:57 pm

In all seriousness, I have a little Black and Decker jigsaw that worked fine for working on my layouts and even was used in the construction of our Breakfast table back when we lived in Charleston, SC. (Nobody made a table that fit the dimensions so I made one: 6.5' wide, 1.5' deep (top shelf), 2.25' deep (Bottom shelf table area), and stood about 4.25 feet tall (floor to top shelf).

The little jigsaw let out the magic smoke not long afterwards, when my wife tried using it to cut out circles to make large dreamcatchers out of plywood - the motor and the entire gear train burned out.

Total life span: 1.5 years
Total cost: $19.99 +tax (Home Depot special)

Not bad at all.

Have you considered a circular saw?

They make small circular saws that are powered by the same batteries that cordless drills use.

I got one that came with a 14V (or is it 14.4V?) drill. It worked well with an abrasive blade for cutting small pipes and sheet metal. Although it is now rendered obsolete by my air powered die grinder. Although my wife prefers the battery saw over the die grinder, hence why the die grinder sees no use now. (Nicholle disabled the air compressor by pulling some of the linkage from the motor to the compressor out so that I do not use it an black out and hurt myself or others. Said linkage is locked up right now.)
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Return to General Discussion