Sydney exhibiton 2018

Sydney exhibiton 2018

Postby TiTan downunder » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:52 am

Just to clarify - that's Sydney Australia not Nova Scotia.

For anyone interested, my 2 small TT layouts have been accepted for display at the AMRA Liverpool exhibition on the October long week-end, Sept 29th to Oct 1st. These are the 2m x 1m " Unten im Tal " DR/CSD/PKP layout and the nearly finished 1m x 1m " Montour Mine No. 4 " .

We will be set-up on stand # 34, near the back far left hand corner, next to the exit to the live steam rides. If you can make it, stop by and say hello and bring something to run.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Re: Sydney exhibiton 2018

Postby TiTan downunder » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:54 am

Back home very late after a 5 hours drive and straight back to work today. With the help of Ted for the 3 days it was, in my humble opinion, a rather good show with a fair amount of interest on all 3 days. Happy to say there were no major problems with either layout or the loco's/rolling stock although, I think I've worn out one of the SW's. It was getting VERY slow by end of 2nd day but, had been running non-stop for 6 hours plus half of saturday.
Liverpool 2018 - 1.JPG
The TT display at Liverpool exhibition 2018

Liverpool 2018 - 2.JPG
My small US layout - Montour Mine No. 4

Liverpool 2018 - 3.JPG
Still working on mine tipple but this seemed to create more interest as most people stopped to read the signs

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby TiTan downunder » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:01 am

Liverpool 2018 - 4.JPG

Liverpool 2018 - 5.JPG

Liverpool 2018 - 6.JPG

Liverpool 2018 - 7.JPG
TiTan downunder

Postby TiTan downunder » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:13 am

Liverpool 2018 - 8.JPG

Liverpool 2018 - 9.JPG

Liverpool 2018 - 10.JPG

and before anyone goes crook I know the SP units are waaaaay too far from home on the Montour RR near Pittsburgh PA but, both my Pennsy and Soo Sw's are non-goers at present.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby ConducTTor » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:10 am

Ha, the Montour layout is actually really cool. Fantastic use of limited space.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the ruling class know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby TiTan downunder » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:28 pm

Thank you. It's the one advantage of using set track. You can fiddle for hours ( days ) until your happy with the result.

I do need to get back and " finish " it off as I've got another show coming up in May and at the speed I've been working lately, that'll be here tomorrow.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:55 pm

TiTan downunder wrote:and before anyone goes crook I know the SP units are waaaaay too far from home on the Montour RR near Pittsburgh PA but, both my Pennsy and Soo Sw's are non-goers at present.

Ian

"non-goers"? As in bad motors?
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby TiTan downunder » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:44 am

>> non-goers"? As in bad motors? <<

No, motors are good but I have 3 units that are either open frame or short out when on the track.

One is just weird!!! Goes as soon as I take one of the 4 screws ( any screw ) out that hold the circut board to the chassis. Put it back in and it stops. take it out and it goes. Leave it in but loose and wont go.
Stripped it down completely, replaced insulating tape with larger pieces on chassis where motor fits, still no go.

When I have more time I'll tinker further. I bought some of those cheap Chinese motors you showed before. I'll probably just bypass the circut board and so a simple wire up. I'm not into DCC so don't need all the fancy electronics.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Postby AstroGoat760 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:05 am

TiTan downunder wrote:>> non-goers"? As in bad motors? <<

No, motors are good but I have 3 units that are either open frame or short out when on the track.

One is just weird!!! Goes as soon as I take one of the 4 screws ( any screw ) out that hold the circut board to the chassis. Put it back in and it stops. take it out and it goes. Leave it in but loose and wont go.
Stripped it down completely, replaced insulating tape with larger pieces on chassis where motor fits, still no go.

When I have more time I'll tinker further. I bought some of those cheap Chinese motors you showed before. I'll probably just bypass the circut board and so a simple wire up. I'm not into DCC so don't need all the fancy electronics.

Ian

That is what I have done, bypass the circuit board, as the desire for DCC is not strong within me, as well as the fact that at least two of my SWs suffered damage to the board, possibly due to my own mistakes early on when trying to troubleshoot the motor issues.

If you do use those cheap Chinese motors, there are two things worth mentioning: They run about the same speed as the stock motors, so the overall speed of the SW will be the same. Also, I have found that they are actually really durable for the price.

Regarding straight wiring of the motors, either the MTB can motor or the cheap Chinese motors, it is not a straight-line connection process, as if you connect the left-hand terminal of the motor to the left hand tower terminals, and likewise right-hand to right-hand, the engine will run "backwards" - in order to obtain "forward" motion when polarity is set for "forward", you must connect the left-hand motor terminal to the right hand towers, and the right-hand motor terminal to the left-hand towers.
Course Set, Speed - Maximum Warp, PUNCH IT!
AstroGoat760

Postby TiTan downunder » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:10 am

>> Regarding straight wiring of the motors, either the MTB can motor or the cheap Chinese motors, it is not a straight-line connection process, as if you connect the left-hand terminal of the motor to the left hand tower terminals, and likewise right-hand to right-hand, the engine will run "backwards" - in order to obtain "forward" motion when polarity is set for "forward", you must connect the left-hand motor terminal to the right hand towers, and the right-hand motor terminal to the left-hand towers <<

Thanks. I'll try and remember that when I get back to them but, knowing me I'll forget and they'll go backwards on the first test run.

Ian
TiTan downunder

Next

Return to Events