Switzerland - various

These are prototypes which either exist as TT scale models or can be modeled from existing models.

Re: Switzerland - various

Postby Christtking » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:39 pm

I don't know! Just making conversation.
Christtking

Postby Dibbedabb » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:13 pm

LVG1 wrote:AAE (Ahaus-Alstätter Eisenbahn) is a very small German railroad (I think, they don't have any locomotive anymore) which earns by far most of it's money by leasing out freight cars. (I'm not sure if they still offer traffic at all)

I know this is an old thread, but I would like to do make this a little more precise.
1. It's not German, it's based in Baar in Switzerland
2. I think, the AAE never was a train operator, but always a rental and leasing company.
3. It's not small. The AAE operates 30,000 freight cars (more than GATX Europe) and has the largest fleet of intermodal cars in Europe. They have the youngest European car pool with an average age of just 15 years. Now they are part of the VTG group, which owns all together 80,000 freight cars.
Dibbedabb

Postby Rich B » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:15 pm

AAE have an interesting history, which did start out very small with a line across the German-Dutch border - the one LVG1 refers to. That line closed to regular traffic in the 1980s, with traction duties having long been undertaken by DB for some time before then. AAE took on the license of the company which owned this line, and utilised this railway operating license to form its wagon leasing business. The head office moved from Germany to Switzerland in 2002.
Rich B

Postby richardedmonds » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:22 pm

http://www.mitv.co.uk/images/banner.jpg

These are DVD'S from a series of TV programmes I used to watch in the UK a few years ago. It was a very interesting series going into a lot of detail of all the railway operaters and locomotive suppliers of the Swiss Railway system and had great scenery as well
richardedmonds

Previous

Return to Prototypes by Country