Static grass (or other methods) in TT

Static grass (or other methods) in TT

Postby Rich B » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:37 am

Hi all,

The time is fast approaching when I need to add some greenery to Stromallee. I was wondering who's used static grass or pre-made clumps in TT, and what lengths they found to be appropriate. I've had success in modelling effective scrubland in H0, but I don't think my method would scale down to TT. In H0 I used hanging basket liner topped with static grass and then various flocks and model plants interspersed throughout, but I think it would be too heavy for TT.

H0 scrub on Bad Horn

I'd really appreciate seeing other people's efforts and getting tips on what's effective in TT.

Thanks

Rich
Rich B

Re: Static grass (or other methods) in TT

Postby krokodil » Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:39 pm

Rich B wrote:Hi all,

The time is fast approaching when I need to add some greenery to Stromallee. I was wondering who's used static grass or pre-made clumps in TT, and what lengths they found to be appropriate. I've had success in modelling effective scrubland in H0, but I don't think my method would scale down to TT. In H0 I used hanging basket liner topped with static grass and then various flocks and model plants interspersed throughout, but I think it would be too heavy for TT.

I'd really appreciate seeing other people's efforts and getting tips on what's effective in TT.

Thanks

Rich

I use different static grasses - also in length and also in color, like in the nature. It is difficult to say what length is the best. Sure around the tracks the length will be shorter ( the long grass is cut off by the vehicles) in the remote areas the grass can be quite tall.
Greetings from Austria
E.T.
krokodil

Postby ConducTTor » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:30 pm

I'll take pics of my effort when I get a chance. I'm not particularly happy with it. I used 2mm grass by itself - I think next time I'll use 4mm mixed with other stuff.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby ConducTTor » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:14 pm

Here is the 2mm single type of grass that I'm not happy with. Although....now that I see it on a photo for the first time, it's not that bad :wtf:
Attachments
image.jpg
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Rich B » Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:49 am

Yeah, that's definitely not too long, and it looks to have a nice even finish. I think I'll take 2mm strands as my starting point then!
Rich B

Postby CSD » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:38 am

I used a combination of 2 mm and 4 mm grasses (Silflor). Over dirt covered ground I first sprinkled some burnt grass cloured ground foam to add weeds and moss under the grass. Then put a layer of 2 mm fibers. As grasses tend to be lighter around road and rail, I used autumn coloured in a rough line along the track and late summer futher away. I then came back with additional layers of 4 mm in the same colours to create depth overlapping the stripe to blend the colours, but still keeping it lighter toward the track. The last layer was some spring colour 2 and 4 mm as a highlight. Tooling the grass with a stick on each layer before the glue dries will eliminate that perfectly strait look. Finnally, combing in a little ground foam will add some nice weeds and texture. I was pretty happy with the result.
photo-4.JPG
acg.jpg
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby CN-TT » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:05 am

@CSD: Looks very very real to me! :thumbup:
@ConducTTor: 2mm is good. Often you see the grass to high for my taste.
You gotta do much more than believe if you really wanna change things!

"The GuiTTar Case" Gallery
"The GuiTTar Case" YouTube
CN-TT

Postby Rich B » Fri Feb 13, 2015 6:43 pm

CSD, spreading some other flock before the static grass sounds like a good plan, that should give a depth that static grass doesn't have on its own- that was why I used hanging basket liner underneath it in 1:87.
Rich B

Postby BogdanRa » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:38 am

Helli everybody from RO. One question: how about to put the grass first time with no static effect and then with Grass Master...
BogdanRa

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:15 pm

Hello BogdanRa and welcome! I've read in a few places about putting down standard grass flock first and then static grass on top of that but I haven't tried it.
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Next

Return to Prototypes / Models