Starting my layout...

Starting my layout...

Postby Arseny » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Little by little I am starting to build my layout.
I have 150mm*90mm space for it.
My idea was to build TT-scale version of "Virginian" project, published in Model Railroader in Jan 2012.
We discussed it here: january-2012-model-railroader-project-layout-t1361-10.html

Virginian-plan.jpg

I had to reduce and simplify it a little, because it would be 180mm width, if I just recalculate it into TT.
I will have only 4 tracks on the "main" station instead of 6, and I will not build bridge.
So it will be something like this:

Virginian-my.jpg

So, I've cut the lumber and assembled the frame:

IMG_6641s.jpg
Last edited by Arseny on Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arseny

Re: Starting my layout...

Postby CSD » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:45 pm

Looks like a good plan for a "table top" layout!
Mark
//S
CSD

Postby railtwister » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi Arseny,

Your posted dimensions of 150mm x 90mm are confusing me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 150mm is equal to about 6", while 90mm is about 3.5 inches. Could you possible mean "cm" instead of "mm"? That seems a bit more possible and would be about 35" x 60", still is pretty small. When the Virginian layout series was first published, I dismissed it as being just another 4 x 8 layout, but after the last article (The Thin Branch) appeared in MR, I looked at the layout more carefully and saw that it was actually a well thought out small layout that has operating possibilities. I think you made a good choice, and hope you are successful in translating it into TT scale.

Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby ConducTTor » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:54 pm

Fantastic Arseny! I can't wait to see progress.
What people think: "liberals/conservatives are ruining my country"
What the powerful know: divide and conquer
ConducTTor
Site Admin

Postby Arseny » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:41 pm

railtwister wrote:Your posted dimensions of 150mm x 90mm are confusing me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but 150mm is equal to about 6", while 90mm is about 3.5 inches. Could you possible mean "cm" instead of "mm"? That seems a bit more possible and would be about 35" x 60", still is pretty small.

Oh, yes, Bill, you are right, of course it is 150*90 cm, not "mm" = 59*36 inches (to say truth, in fact I made it not 90cm width, but 91.5)

If you just recalculate H0-scale Virginian layout into TT, it would be 177*88 cm, so I had to reduce it.

I plan to use Tillig's tracks and R2 radius (396 mm) on the biggest circle, because I want to use my big old Mountain steam locomotive sometimes, at least somewhere. The smallest radius is 310-mm (to "climb the mountain" in the middle).

...But I am still in doubt. Maybe, I should reinforce it by some additional gussets, diagonal ribs?
Last edited by Arseny on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arseny

Postby railtwister » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:38 am

Hi Arseny,
I think with your use of the metal angles, gussets aren't really needed. Diagonal braces would help stiffen the layout to prevent "twist", but they would likely be in your way during construction. If your framing lumber is 1x3 or 1x4, it should be OK, and if the layout seems to be too flexible, height adjusters on the legs should help. Once the legs are installed and the layout is leveled, the legs could be fitted with diagonal braces on the vertical plane, which should help prevent twisting.

The only difficult thing about the Virginian layout is that it uses those curved turnouts, which aren't always available in other scales. If you can work around not having the curved turnouts, without significantly changing the operational scheme, or using up too much space with normal turnouts, you should be good. Since it looks like you have been working that out with a CAD program, I think you'll be good to go.
Bill in FtL
railtwister

Postby Arseny » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:45 am

Thank you Bill.
Yes, I'm afraid that the layout will be too "flexible", that it will twist.
Of course, it will not twist while standing on the legs, but what if I want to move it somewhere - to another room, or to some show, for example?..
So I think I'll add some more angles and some gussets, not too big.

As for curved turnouts - I do not understand the problem, there are curved turnouts from Tillig available. I've purchased two.

The only problem is that they have 310-mm inner radius, so I will not be able to run my big "Mountain" locomotive on the small circle. Ok, I'll use it only on the big circle. Any other locomotives, from my old HP's "Consolidation" up to new MTB's SW1200 can take 310-mm radius without problems.
Arseny

Postby j p » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:12 am

Arseny wrote:Thank you Bill.
Yes, I'm afraid that the layout will be too "flexible", that it will twist.
Of course, it will not twist while standing on the legs, but what if I want to move it somewhere - to another room, or to some show, for example?..
So I think I'll add some more angles and some gussets, not too big.

As for curved turnouts - I do not understand the problem, there are curved turnouts from Tillig available. I've purchased two.

The only problem is that they have 310-mm inner radius, so I will not be able to run my big "Mountain" locomotive on the small circle. Ok, I'll use it only on the big circle. Any other locomotives, from my old HP's "Consolidation" up to new MTB's SW1200 can take 310-mm radius without problems.

You could solve the problem with the radius by buying flexi-EW2 or EW3 kits.
j p

Postby Arseny » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:23 pm

j p wrote:You could solve the problem with the radius by buying flexi-EW2 or EW3 kits.

There is no point in doing it. The radius of the inner circle will be 353-mm or 310-mm in any case...
Arseny

Postby richardedmonds » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:51 pm

Anybody know a good source of the sort of diagram that Arseny posted of the Virginian layout. I dont want to troll through millions of Model Railroaders trying to find a nice 8x4 layout for inspiration. I need to build something to run my new SW1200's so something like that Virginian layout would be ideal
richardedmonds

Next

Return to Layouts / Track Plans